WTH? SHERRILLtree Poison Ivy made by Samson now?

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Wrench does flatten ropes and sure as hell milks them hard. Hence milking new ropes. Ropes will last way longer if only used with a runner. During rec climbs I have glazed so many ropes messing with huge descending swings and bombing around. The prussic heat of my michoacan destroys covers so I have resorted to using runners when rec climbing as you cannot glaze ropes with them. My michoacan hitches are loose.

dsptech

And I know that this is a Samson Ivy thread but I just started running yale phantom on my RR1 wide open and its faken dreamy smooth. 180 lbs no gear with runner just hitting the sweet spot.
Agree with keeping rope clean, there is a real noticeable difference running a dirty rope and a freshly washed one.
This is the first I heard of Yale Phantom.
Where did you get it from?

If I could handle using 11mm rope kern poly/polys would be my runner choice. But after losing part of my right hand pinky to a crushing accident I prefer gripping 11.7s. After a year it has built back a vice like grip and no pain so I will keep with that. Nearly bought the patriot kern. But glad I did not. Samson ivy will be my new choice I am sure.
I have larger then average hands and always used 1/2" rope.
Moving to 11.7 seemed necessary for mechanical devices.
My hands are getting old and joints stiff from years of hard use and slight carpel tunnel.
I don't think I could ever deal with 11mm ropes.
Would seem a bit sketchy to me psychologically.

Last edited:

Grafted_In

Yale Phantom/Bifrost/Patriot are exclusive colorways of poly/poly kernmaster. Static with a great hand. Exclusive at Wesspur. I do prefer the size of 11.7 better as well so I run Scandere most of the time (which is another dreamy rope to me, runner and wrench). I'm still young so I'll abuse my hands with 11mm for a bit haha. Probably save the phantom for rec, comps, and those nice big prunes.

Bummer about your pinky, Swing but it didnt seem to slow you down. I hope I'm still climbing hard like you in my 50's. Would be mean to get out to Barbados and climb one day. Or you out to Hawaii.

Acerxharlowii

How'd you milk it?

You're talking about performance with the RRP, right? Even with the RR, I found that new 11.7 Yale lines are slick and take some fuzzing up to get to where it would grip with the RR wide open and my 220lbs on it (how I always ran my RR - but definitely not the RRP).
Do u find that the tango ivy seems smaller in diameter than a 11.7? It has more of a 11.5 kind of feel.

LordFarkwad

Do u find that the tango ivy seems smaller in diameter than a 11.7? It has more of a 11.5 kind of feel.

Man, I'm not in the same universe as someone who can tell 200 microns of difference by feel! I've owned two types of rope in my short climbing life: 1/2" Vortex and various 11.7's (Ivy and Vega).

LordFarkwad

I have, however, noticed differences with regards to what @Crimsonking noted - namely, giant differences in handling between worn and new, but I really chalked that up to texture and not diameter. But I suppose that both variables would change simultaneously. Everyone's noticed this tho.

Call me crazy, but I it almost seems like there are differences in how colorways of the same rope wear (different rates). Calamine vs. Prism, for instance; it sure seemed like Calamine fuzzed up in about a third of the number of climbs it took my Prism to do the same.

Acerxharlowii

I have, however, noticed differences with regards to what @Crimsonking noted - namely, giant differences in handling between worn and new, but I really chalked that up to texture and not diameter. But I suppose that both variables would change simultaneously. Everyone's noticed this tho.

Call me crazy, but I it almost seems like there are differences in how colorways of the same rope wear (different rates). Calamine vs. Prism, for instance; it sure seemed like Calamine fuzzed up in about a third of the number of climbs it took my Prism to do the same.
Yeah it just feels thinner than a Yale 11.7 like calamine

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer

Prism is not a fuzzer. I lost my long piece. Forever pissed. The short piece has 0 fuzz..calamine is the best toughest rope I ever climbed on. Work horse. Dyes make a huge difference.

dsptech

I tied a bowline to my porch on one end, threw on a 6 wrap French Prussik, put some weight into it and ran it the entire length of the rope, twice. Also it’s Samson rope
Has your rope improved since milking it?
I'm on the fence with this rope and thinking it might be better to track down some Yale instead of Samson.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom