Trees from a distance

[ QUOTE ]
This is one of my favorite forums, and it's never busy...?

[/ QUOTE ]

BB: Yes, the wise often walk a lonely path...
wink.gif

Grover: I agree with the name Platanus occidentalis unless you've got eucs in Virginia ???

-Diane-

BostonBull

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't that a eucalyptus? I have no idea what type, I'm canadian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

Definitely Platanus of some sort. Either Platanus Occidentalis, or Platanus × acerifolia..........?

Gord

Do any of the planes have foliage like that top does? Maybe it just looks odd hanging down like that. I agree the bark looks very much like a Platanus I just thought the foliage looked different than any plane I know of.

TC

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't that a eucalyptus? I have no idea what type, I'm canadian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

Definitely Platanus of some sort. Either Platanus Occidentalis, or Platanus × acerifolia..........?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid to say Gord is right B'Bull, You and Jerseygirl(nice picof the sycamore!) fell into the euc/sycamore barktrap. That tree was located in Scotland where I am now.

Its a Eucalyptus gunni, native of South Australia.

Congratulations Gord, dont suppose there are many eucs in BC?

Anyway, here's the full tree from a distance -

134506-euc2.jpg

Attachments

• 134506-euc2.jpg
    134506-euc2.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 166

TC

[ QUOTE ]

Grover: I agree with the name Platanus occidentalis
-Diane-

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Diane, looks like you also fell into the notorious euc/sycamore barktrap!
smirk.gif

TC

[ QUOTE ]
Here's another Acer mystery tree.

134494-acer_what.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a great looking tree! Just guessing, but from the size I'd say - Acer macrophyllum?

Oh, yea, the famous barktrap!
Barktrap confusion also happens for me when looking at young verses older tree barks.
There can be some amazing changes within that one tree.
Out here on the West Coast Cypress & Juniper ID drives everyone crazy. Especially since Juniper foliage has a juvenile stage and a very different look (more like Cypress) at maturity.
-Diane-

Gord

[ QUOTE ]

That is a great looking tree! Just guessing, but from the size I'd say - Acer macrophyllum?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right you are grover. It's a pretty unusual form for a Big-leaf Maple. It's on a golf course near Vancouver BC.

TC

[ QUOTE ]

Right you are grover. It's a pretty unusual form for a Big-leaf Maple. It's on a golf course near Vancouver BC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen one in real life, would love to climb one someday. They're the tallest growing decidous trees right? Would be good to see more pics of other Big Leaf Maples if you have them.

TC

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, yea, the famous barktrap!
Barktrap confusion also happens for me when looking at young verses older tree barks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen it happen many times with Acer griseum(Paper Bark Maple) and Prunus serrula(Tibetan Cherry).

[ QUOTE ]

Out here on the West Coast Cypress & Juniper ID drives everyone crazy. Especially since Juniper foliage has a juvenile stage and a very different look (more like Cypress) at maturity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty hopeless when it comes to ID'ing the Cypresses and Junipers. Monterey Cypress is about the easiest for me.

TC

Here's a new tree. This tree is in Scotland but they are native to much of the cooler temperate northern hemisphere including America, Canada and Russia to Japan.

Maybe too much of a clue there, anyway this specimen has being able to spread it branches and has not taken on the usual form.

Good luck people -

134544-tree2000.JPG

Attachments

• 134544-tree2000.JPG
    134544-tree2000.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 129

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom