Tree work in movies/television

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
The Sopranos Pauley walnuts hits a guy holding a climbers life line ? Wtf no research on tree work

Too bad they got the climbing all wrong.

"We" would have setup the climber on an SRT base tie. Pauley would pull out his knife and cut the down rope.

The anti-base tie faction would have been able to add another reason to their list of not using a base tie :frenetico:

Mowerr

Branched out member

Technically, gear and work are different... otherwise I'd gleefully invite @Tom Dunlap - he from the beginning - to use the search function, and perhaps reach out to @Joe_Biden about dealing with memory loss as a baby boomer... Alas, Tom is still too nimble in word and I'll have to bide my time until, perhaps, next month?
Wow! I really can't believe I remembered that

Al_trees

I yelled at the tv once when an Anthony Hopkins movie talked about an oak tree that was really a maple tree or something like that. The tree was right there and it was a big scene in the movie not something that should have been overlooked.

climbingmonkey24

Branched out member
Not necessarily looking for tree work in movies unless it comes up, but I do sometimes stare up at the trees out the window if I'm a passenger in a vehicle and someone else is driving, seeing which one's would be fun to climb / work in.

I've had people ask me before if I'm looking around for trees to climb or take down lol.

Anyone else do that?

Mowerr

Branched out member
Not necessarily looking for tree work in movies unless it comes up, but I do sometimes stare up at the trees out the window if I'm a passenger in a vehicle and someone else is driving, seeing which one's would be fun to climb / work in.

I've had people ask me before if I'm looking around for trees to climb or take down lol.

Anyone else do that?
Yes... Yestarday my mother in law asked me if I was looking to the tree gods... Then my father in law asked if I seen something dying or dangerous that should come down lol.

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
Virgin Suicides 1999. The elm trees are being taken down due to blight, and the Lisbon sisters stage a sit in to try to prevent its removal. At one point in the film they show an arborist at height using a chainsaw, I can’t find the clip unfortunately.

Those outfits look very warm. I’m sure that was the directors choice. For more: http://jbuchbinder.com/2015/04/28/t...s-of-innocence-and-the-illusion-of-normality/

Attachments

• 729B65AF-75A2-4F11-9867-17018F70AAAE.jpeg
    729B65AF-75A2-4F11-9867-17018F70AAAE.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: evo

Tuebor

Branched out member
Virgin Suicides 1999. The elm trees are being taken down due to blight, and the Lisbon sisters stage a sit in to try to prevent its removal. At one point in the film they show an arborist at height using a chainsaw, I can’t find the clip unfortunately.

Those outfits look very warm. I’m sure that was the directors choice. For more: http://jbuchbinder.com/2015/04/28/t...s-of-innocence-and-the-illusion-of-normality/
That movie takes place in my neighborhood (but not filmed there). The author of the story grew up there. DED ravaged the community throughout the sixties and seventies and weighed heavily on residents' moods and pocketbooks. My block of 25 houses had over 40 elms removed in a decade. A neighbor had 3 removed from their yard last week because they were uprooting their driveway. It was depressing to watch and leaves me with the only one left on the block. With the following loss of ashes, my street has gone from an urban jungle to a hot, barren wasteland of pears, crabapples, and dogwoods.

Last edited:

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
That movie takes place in my neighborhood (but not filmed there). The author of the story grew up there. DED ravaged the community throughout the sixties and seventies and weighed heavily on residents' moods and pocketbooks. My block of 25 houses had over 40 elms removed in a decade. A neighbor had 3 removed from their yard last week because they were uprooting their driveway. It was depressing to watch and leaves me with the only one left on the block. With the following loss of ashes, my street has gone from an urban jungle to a hot, barren wasteland of pears, crabapples, and dogwoods.
Wow. Were you treating your elm, or just good luck? Sad indeed. And an amazing film.

Tuebor

Branched out member
Wow. Were you treating your elm, or just good luck? Sad indeed. And an amazing film.
Maybe both. I bought my childhood home after my parents moved to a retirement home. I remember my mother having it sprayed annually from the late sixties in to the early eighties. Our elm was in the back yard. The city would drive down the streets spraying elms in front yards every spring during the same era. Not sure if it helped much. Probably gave half of us cancer.

Just watched the new Conjuring movie. Pretty bad movie IMO. There was one scene where it looked like he was on spikes but I wasn’t paying much attention. He was not clipped in twice when going to make a cut either! Someone needs to call them up and have this movie pulled out of theaters.

evo

Been here a while
I read that Paul Newman really fugged up the filming schedule on Never Give An Inch, aka Sometimes a Great Notion.

They say he broke his foot trying to jump out of the bed of the crummy!

Fuggin rookie!

Jemco
I grew up just a few miles from where it was filmed along the alsea river.. rad spot, miss ya Jemco.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom