This is the Akimbo

Jan_

I tried out @climbstihl 's akimbo (which might be the first ever one imported to Germany!) and his rope walking setup out today, It's amazing how fast you can ascend with it, especially comparing it to a RADS. I'd love to own one, but I dont think that's happening for the next few years...

The only things I needed to get used to were the breakaway chest harness, which threw me off for the first few attempts, and the rapelling characteristics which I also needed some time getting used to (I pinched my finger between the two "jaws", oops). I think a different rope would probably change the latter, I'll have to try it again when he gets his Drenaline.

Overall the akimbo is, as expected, an awesome device, great job designig it!

John@TreeXP

I tried out @climbstihl 's akimbo (which might be the first ever one imported to Germany!) and his rope walking setup out today, It's amazing how fast you can ascend with it, especially comparing it to a RADS. I'd love to own one, but I dont think that's happening for the next few years...

The only things I needed to get used to were the breakaway chest harness, which threw me off for the first few attempts, and the rapelling characteristics which I also needed some time getting used to (I pinched my finger between the two "jaws", oops). I think a different rope would probably change the latter, I'll have to try it again when he gets his Drenaline.

Overall the akimbo is, as expected, an awesome device, great job designig it!
Drenaline is an excellent choice. Works great for me.

RyTheTreeGuy

Bought a new climb line from a company I was unfamiliar with until I chatted to them at there comp booth. It is called braids and laces. I visisted there manufacturing facility and bought 150 feet of 11.5 mm wizard. Spliced an eye yesterday and bounced around in a 50 ft Norway Maple today on my property to test it out. This is a first impressions review, but man was it sweet. I am 185 lbs with no gear and I had my settings at f4 for my 11 mm kmIII max. Didn't change it at all and it was silky smooooth. Possibly the best I have yet to try?? At $340 CAD for 600 feet it is a steal.

deevo

Bought a new climb line from a company I was unfamiliar with until I chatted to them at there comp booth. It is called braids and laces. I visisted there manufacturing facility and bought 150 feet of 11.5 mm wizard. Spliced an eye yesterday and bounced around in a 50 ft Norway Maple today on my property to test it out. This is a first impressions review, but man was it sweet. I am 185 lbs with no gear and I had my settings at f4 for my 11 mm kmIII max. Didn't change it at all and it was silky smooooth. Possibly the best I have yet to try?? At $340 CAD for 600 feet it is a steal.
Never heard of that place, but I checked their site and have decent prices on stuff.

Shniggysaurus

Sorry if this has already been covered.

I'm having trouble with the akimbo slipping down the rope when using a rope walking system. It slips if I try to squat straight down but if I lean back it usually catches. It does this even on friction settings too tight for the rope (Sterling htp 12.5)

Here is what I am talking about.

Any advice is appreciated

evo

Sorry if this has already been covered.

I'm having trouble with the akimbo slipping down the rope when using a rope walking system. It slips if I try to squat straight down but if I lean back it usually catches. It does this even on friction settings too tight for the rope (Sterling htp 12.5)

Here is what I am talking about.

Any advice is appreciated
Check to see if the upper cam is sticking

JeffGu

You need to:

a) shorten your tether length, raise height... get rid of the full size carabiner and use a little one like the DMM XSRE and perhaps a bungee neck tether.

b) lower the device attachment point... smaller 'biner like DMM Perfect O or shorten bridge length.

As you drop down into the harness, the device isn't engaging because the distance between the tether point and the bridge attachment isn't great enough... the 'biner isn't pulling down on the Akimbo soon enough.

I hope this helps.

evo

I'm at a point of frustration, and looking for a new line. I've mostly use my akimbo with Aztec and it's worked fairly well. drenaline doesn't like it, I don't like drenaline, and the akimbo is smooth but super fickle on it.

I really want to give marlow vega a shot on it, but have plenty of rope. The only rope I need to replace is my 200' aztec, and I don't really want to experiment with a rope that might be fickle or not much better than what I'm playing with...

Anyone? How does vega pan out?

CanadianStan

I
I'm at a point of frustration, and looking for a new line. I've mostly use my akimbo with Aztec and it's worked fairly well. drenaline doesn't like it, I don't like drenaline, and the akimbo is smooth but super fickle on it.

I really want to give marlow vega a shot on it, but have plenty of rope. The only rope I need to replace is my 200' aztec, and I don't really want to experiment with a rope that might be fickle or not much better than what I'm playing with...

I'll put my Akimbo on my Vega within the next week and let you know. I have a feeling the Vega will deform a lot but we'll see

Acerxharlowii

I really like it with drenaline. Are you having trouble finding a setting? It really goes to show that each rope and person is different. I will tell you that I have found multiple settings with dragonfly (fly). I think that’s my favorite rope with it.

evo

Drenaline is milking like crazy for me, I can’t quite tell but I think the creep i get with it is actually the rope milking. Also not fond of the bounce and I’m at 170

Jonny

I like Fly and Xstatic, but they’re the only 2 I’ve used w Akimbo.
Fly would always twist and hockle below the hitch when used DdRT, it’s a much happier rope with SRT.

chiselbit

Does it slide down the rope on km3max when not weighted for you. It does with mine
when I’m running it loose it will. Kinda depends on what I’m doing, if I’m doing end weight reduction and leaning into it a lot I’ll have it set tighter. Your question made me think, I guess I don’t notice it that much now but it probably happens a lot and just doesn’t bother me, I know it will grab when I weight it and I just tend slack without thinking about it.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom