SRT device poll

What is your go-go SRT device right now?

• Total voters

Burrapeg

I have a BDB I use on certain occasions but my fave rec climb setup now is two ZZ/RW combos, one on each end of my line for SRT. I can leapfrog this up a lot of my climbs and either end of the line quickly becomes Ddrt if I need this, by just removing the RW from that ZZ. On climbs where the TIP may be iffie, I have started using two ropes with separate TIPs, each with one of these ZZ/RW setups. Once at height, the second system is usually always handy for moving around.

SoftBankHawks

It saddens me (SADDENS ME) to see not one mention of the Unicender. TREEBUZZ is the foundation of SRS climbing, Tom Dunlap started it all with his adventures into the aluminum world of the Unicender. I tagged along on Tom's coat tails for a few years, until the ZK1 was released, then a steady change between devices and techniques. And now I am back full circle, to not one but two Unicenders. It does so much so well, single, doubled, even triple. The top attachment point is unique and allows one device to be trailed off the other when ascending, a slick and easy way to back up and balance between opposing anchors.

I don't slack tend by pulling my line upwards, stuff that, gets heavy and tiresome. I rig my Uni on a little tether, to give me some space between it and my bridge, and pull the it up the rope, so a pulley is not needed. The Unicender rules.

Thanks @Tom Dunlap !

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
@SoftBankHawks YVW

If there were an assessment comparison chart for multi-cenders with a score of say 1-5 for each item I've always thought that the Unicender would come in with the top 85-90% rank.

It does everything so well.

Now, add on the mods from @Climbing Innovations and the score goes up.

One criteria that has been important to me that is rarely mentioned is how much 'stuff' there is in the vertical space in front of my face. My bridge is adjustable and the total height of the Unicender is compact so I can keep the hardware below my chin or above my forehead. Back in my DdRT days I had my rope slap or crack the whip and take a slight smack to my handsome mug. Ouch! I don't even want to think of having to do business with Dr Dentu-drill after getting a slap with a knot or multi-cender. Spitting teeth can be funny in the cartoons not in the tree

YMMV

SoftBankHawks

....and control mode too, what a great thing that is. Two Uni's, controlled with one hand. And the touch is so light that I can move between opposing anchors simply by manipulating tension in my fist.

Jehinten

@SoftBankHawks I have a uni that I use as a secondary tie in when needed or as my primary on sappy jobs. Many of the techniques that you mentioned above, I've not heard of.

Do you happen to have pics/video of these? The trailing 2nd device, and control mode? I think I'm following what you said about the tether. I modded my uni to have a pulley and captive bar for the rope, so I've not seen much trouble with tending from below.

Lupin_IV

I’m starting to mess w Stich(t) hitch from @Brocky, anyone using this in a production setting for SRT?
I do, it’s by far my favorite. My preferred combo is traditional 8mm viper and a small isc ring, no pulley or anything to tend even. It absolutely destroys any other device I’ve tried. Feeling of a hitch, slightly slightly less easy to tend than a rope runner, lighter than everything. Basically a featherweight hitchhiker. Ugh. Just so good. I’m not sure if it’s my weight or what the deal is but I bombed 60 feet yesterday w/o a figure8. no binding, chord did not excessively wear. I don’t normally speed down like that tho, just a test. I’m about a month into the sticht as my primary device. It’s a bit frustrating to tie tho. I’m sure you know some of this from your tests, but just had to express my love for it a bit. It takes quite a bit of experimenting but the payoff is huge.

Stumpsprouts

I do, it’s by far my favorite. My preferred combo is traditional 8mm viper and a small isc ring, no pulley or anything to tend even. It absolutely destroys any other device I’ve tried. Feeling of a hitch, slightly slightly less easy to tend than a rope runner, lighter than everything. Basically a featherweight hitchhiker. Ugh. Just so good. I’m not sure if it’s my weight or what the deal is but I bombed 60 feet yesterday w/o a figure8. no binding, chord did not excessively wear. I don’t normally speed down like that tho, just a test. I’m about a month into the sticht as my primary device. It’s a bit frustrating to tie tho. I’m sure you know some of this from your tests, but just had to express my love for it a bit. It takes quite a bit of experimenting but the payoff is huge.
Wow, that’s so cool. Please post a photo, and let us know your eye to eye length. Early tests were very exciting. Coming from RR the tending issue will always be a turn off but it is what it is.

Crimsonking

The tending can be improved by adding a short two eye strap that pushes up on the ring, and with stiff legs, easily releases the wraps. Or a band can be added to the twist to eliminate its friction on the rope. If tending is still hard, the ring may be too close to the wraps.
A cord only can be used by tying a stopper knot at the end.
View attachment 76984
Could you just route the line through the biner?

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
When I was first investigating SRT I tried so many hitch/rope combos. After spending months searching and not finding one that worked for ascent and descent I decided that my next round would be with a hitch/ring combination. My vision was something like what Brocky shared just up from this post.

That line of investigation was shelved when The Fates directed my path to intersect with Morgan Thompson.

Seeing the hitch/ring combos is wonderful!

Brocky

Could you just route the line through the biner?
You can for easy hand tending, but even that is more work, as you need to pull up on the rope for the hitch to move. With the strap you only have to go around 45 degrees from vertical.
The rope between the eyes also causes more friction when neck, chest, or lots tending, and concentrated wear on the eyes.

Lupin_IV

Wow, that’s so cool. Please post a photo, and let us know your eye to eye length. Early tests were very exciting. Coming from RR the tending issue will always be a turn off but it is what it is.

I lied, I currently have a thimble under to tend but so far I’ve found I prefer to not have the loose piece. Might be hard to see but hopefully you get the gist.

the photo of the ring was my preferred solution to have the tending piece completely rigid but that ring is too big for my preferred hitch cord now. For 9mm+ chord it was teh shitttt

Attachments

• 162366F8-7F56-42B9-A23B-BBAB5A77A7D6.jpeg
    162366F8-7F56-42B9-A23B-BBAB5A77A7D6.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 1BB36B5B-7F27-4184-8EEC-A54F04AE1A60.jpeg
    1BB36B5B-7F27-4184-8EEC-A54F04AE1A60.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23

moss

I am a real small guy, even going up with a lot of gear I'm hardly >150lbs, so maybe I'm just not causing hitch-jams as badly....though TBH I don't really even put pressure into my hitch until I've finished my ascent, most of the time.

It's a misconception that light climbers jam hitches less, I'm less weight than you, I can jam any hitch/rope combination (without a Rope Wrench over or an F8 under). I use my lanyard SRT mode most of the time except for on the D's/ takedowns. I jam the hitch all the time in lanyard SRS/SRT mode. So how do I deal with it? Grab the rope above the the hitch and make that hand and arm the rope wrench and tether, take some load on the arm and the hitch slides to slack off the lanyard. Not sustainable for longer movements on my main climbing system but perfectly good for releasing a jammed up lonely hitch SRS.

What I'm describing above is when all my weight is on the hitch. If your feet are on the tree most of the time and you're not leaning back on the hitch hard it won't set tight enough to jam.

The Rope Wrench is not just a slight improvement over a naked hitch (easy there @JeffGu) it is the difference between constantly leaning on the hitch to release and fingertip pressure buttering toast. I believe you'd love it and it is the lowest cost multicender option.

If you have your hitch and climbing line well-matched and the hitch tied in a compatible way the hitch will ride up the line during ascent with very low to no resistance. The mechanical multicenders well-tuned ride up even better.
-AJ

Stumpsprouts

I lied, I currently have a thimble under to tend but so far I’ve found I prefer to not have the loose piece. Might be hard to see but hopefully you get the gist.

the photo of the ring was my preferred solution to have the tending piece completely rigid but that ring is too big for my preferred hitch cord now. For 9mm+ chord it was teh shitttt
Thanks for sharing! This is great.

Does it ever become an issue that the thimble is not midline attachable?

Did you try using an eye to eye and found you preferred tying the hitch cord instead, and does that have performance benefits?

Lupin_IV

great rope wrench concept solution @moss, thanks. Manual rope wrench haha.

Thanks for sharing! This is great.

Does it ever become an issue that the thimble is not midline attachable?

Did you try using an eye to eye and found you preferred tying the hitch cord instead, and does that have performance benefits?

Lack of midline attachability is not an issue for me. I ended up ditching it mid climb anyway.

I have not tried eye to eyes. Im sure Brocky will answer that, or look around the sticht thread. The only ones I used prior to the sticht were very short. Maybe someday. I’m turned off by lack of adjustability. I tied it a little too loose today and could easily adjust it without fully removing the stopper knot while aloft. Not to mention the massive knob can be nice to grab :b

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom