Spray Rig for soil drenches?

ATH

Good question about the consideration of impact difference removal vs. treatment. I would say removal is less impactful considering the tree will almost certainly need to be removed at some future point regardless of EAb etc. But yes, the equipment side of this industry is just as bad if not worse for the environment then the chemical side.
Just for discussion sake:
The environmental services of a big tree are significantly more than that of a small tree. So if we can keep that big tree around for 20 more years, you also have to consider those benefits when weighing remove/treat and their respective impacts on the environment...

On the other side of the coin...the sooner you replace, the sooner that new tree will start providing more significant benefits. IF they plant a new tree...a worthwhile tree planted correctly (not another sand cherry planted too deep that will die in 6 years)

I can argue with myself all night! LOL (and laugh at myself too).

Leroy

Good stuff. To add another layer, specific climate. A large tree here could be considered a detriment to the environment because of the need for irrigation and tlc in general. It is very difficult to grow a large tree in this area if it is not right next to a stream, creek or ditch.

Reactions: ATH

Nish

Just for discussion sake:
The environmental services of a big tree are significantly more than that of a small tree.

In any given year a stand of vigorously growing young trees probably sucks in more atmospheric carbon than a stand of mature trees. So give space to young trees by cutting down the majestic ones and burying them in landfills. With efficient heavy equipment it'll be carbon negative. Sell the Prius; get a bulldozer.

Last edited:

ATH

In any given year a stand of vigorously growing young trees probably sucks in more atmospheric carbon than a stand of mature trees. So give space to young trees by cutting down the majestic ones and burying them in landfills. With efficient heavy equipment it'll be carbon negative. Sell the Prius; get a bulldozer.
Yes, but...I assume we are talking landscape trees. Those are replaced 1:1 not 1:500 as would be the case in a forest setting. I've never recommended treating a forest stand (I'm also an SAF Certified Forester...have been helping manage private Woodlands for 20 years...)

TsugaPHC

@ATH: Good point about the full tank of imid kinda evening out across the DBH sizes. I’d never thought of it that way. I also don’t do a ton of hemlocks the way you describe, so I don’t think I’d ever need a full tank of imid.

To answer @John_KAYS: Both imidacloprid and dinotefuron have the potential to stimulate spruce spider mite on hemlocks (in my experience, imid moreso than dino). SSM is active in the cool seasons, spring and fall. Imid stays in the tree for years, meaning you could potentially be flaring mites for 4+ years with a single imid application. Dino is in and out of the tree within two months though, so you can treat the hemlock in late May when the spider mites are going into their summer diapause, it’s in the tree while the adelgid are actively feeding to control them, and then it dissipates before the mites wake up and start feeding again in the autumn.

Yes, I’d advocate starting small and holding off on a tank sprayer until you’ve gotten a feel for the PHC game, or until you starting doing liquid soil amendments like humate, etc.

John_KAYS

I don’t know much about pesticides(same boat as @John_KAYS) but I just wanted to say thank you for all the amazing, informative responses in here
Ditto. Thank you all. This has been so extremely helpful allowing me to get my head around some of this. I am far better off with the guidance from my tree buzz brothers than I would be if I was left to my own figuring. It is so great to have you all step up and share with those less knowledgable, keeping our industry more intelligent about the way we all go about things.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom