*Solo rigging* Whatcha using? Swivel Bail Shackle and similar methods/?

southsoundtree

Pitch may be an issue...

Otherwise, I'd start with NC speedline over the next whorl up, potentially tightened with a foot ascender or foot wrap on the tail,

coming down to a stub/limb on the current whorl being pruned , used for friction/ tie-off.

If pitch is an issue, the most basic would be to redirect through a SL sling/ biner at the whorl above,

And use a sling and hms/ munter hitch compatible biner.

The long limbs can be sling in the middle, it double slung at the butt, and far out the limb, giving a bit more clearance.

evo

I’d keep the tensioning system very simple. A foot ascender and a hitch should really be all you need. If you need a 2:1 or more I’d develop a different plan

If you want to make it way complicated you can use the self release lowing system earlier in this thread on a trolly for a controlled retrievable speedline

LordFarkwad

Pitch may be an issue...

Otherwise, I'd start with NC speedline over the next whorl up, potentially tightened with a foot ascender or foot wrap on the tail,

coming down to a stub/limb on the current whorl being pruned , used for friction/ tie-off.

If pitch is an issue, the most basic would be to redirect through a SL sling/ biner at the whorl above,

And use a sling and hms/ munter hitch compatible biner.

The long limbs can be sling in the middle, it double slung at the butt, and far out the limb, giving a bit more clearance.
Thanks for the guidance, man. A couple of questions...

I honestly think totally going natural crotch is likely to work on this tree due to the low weights of most of it...but I'm still trying to work out how to natural crotch on a speedline.

Is the most important point to make sure that there is more weight between the line/crotch and the tip of the limb than between the butt and line/crotch?

Do you run the line through all the desired crotches before redirecting it above and tensioning?

NC would def be the preferred choice. I just gotta get out and do it.

rope-a-dope

All that MA crap will be a serious pain to climb with. A single point of tension adjustment would be enough for basic speed line, as a ground man can usually run a speed line with a single redirect, or even by hand depending on line angle/height.
One picture had a prussik and pulley for tension and that would be the most junk I would want to deal with. The limitation being you would have to keep it close to your cut position, but redirects could get the line higher if necessary.

LordFarkwad

All that MA crap will be a serious pain to climb with. A single point of tension adjustment would be enough for basic speed line, as a ground man can usually run a speed line with a single redirect, or even by hand depending on line angle/height.
One picture had a prussik and pulley for tension and that would be the most junk I would want to deal with. The limitation being you would have to keep it close to your cut position, but redirects could get the line higher if necessary.
No kidding on all the junk - it kind of left the realm of what I wouldn't mind doing after it required another sling below the redirect.

I'm starting to believe, from what the more experienced here are saying, that I might be okay with just tensioning with bodyweight or foot ascender. The main sling/pulley/prusik redirect was so that I didn't have to cut one handed or do something goofy/sketch to try and apply tension after the cut.

I need a big limb in the yard to practice with xD

Last edited:

LordFarkwad

Used it today. Pine tree removal. Progress capture with footie for tensioning. JUST kept the pieces small and didn't negative rig any tops into it. Worked incredibly well. Homeowner was there to help, so I even controlled several of the pieces with the tail of the speedline on the way down (wrapped around stub for friction), and he unhooked them and sent back up slings

rope-a-dope

Nice. That's a cool idea for a controlled speed line. A midline anchor to adjust tension and the tail end to brake. Climber has to do all the back hauling and friction work, but this seems very not bad for a solo climber with a "helper."

LordFarkwad

Nice. That's a cool idea for a controlled speed line. A midline anchor to adjust tension and the tail end to brake. Climber has to do all the back hauling and friction work, but this seems very not bad for a solo climber with a "helper."
Doing it totally solo, it would have been nice to have had allot more slings (was working with 6 of random sizes, some wayyyyy too big - two ten footers), but as things were, it was fine. Learned some lessons, such as 'the first piece doesn't need much tension applied, as it just runs down and slams into the anchor (truck hitch); no damage (it's a hitch!) but still...next time.

Jonny

Get yourself a 25 or 50 yard (maybe meter) of Sterling 1” tubular webbing and use beer knots on them. Great for speedline work and ridiculously inexpensive compared to factory sewn loop runners.

LordFarkwad

Get yourself a 25 or 50 yard (maybe meter) of Sterling 1” tubular webbing and use beer knots on them. Great for speedline work and ridiculously inexpensive compared to factory sewn loop runners.
Awesome tip! Thanks, man. Edit: @Jonny - oh man, I'm looking at this webbing and lusting over how lightweight it'll be compared to those ultra heavy-duty yellow CMI nylon slings. aaaaaahh! Any good references on where to get the long rolls you're referring to?

Another edit: found them on wesspur. ordering 50yds. it looks like that'll make about 16 x 4' slings or 21 x 3' slings, or so.

I also tried hitching multiple limbs to one sling a couple of times, on the ten footers. That worked okay for the obstacles I had to clear this time, but I would've liked them to have been closer to the speedline itself. How do y'all 'bouquet' rig with speed line slings?

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom