Road safety

B_Strange

Gap Arborist also sells cones, and rather cheap. Ray got a deal on them by the pallet, so we’ve been buying there. He has big orange cones, and little green ones with Drop Zone printed on, for obvious purposes. Far cheaper to buy good cones than to buy some fool a two month stay in the hospital!
I agree! I’ve talked to Gap Arborist about a few things and really like their customer service. I’ll check their cones out. Kinda jealous you live so close to them.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
When I worked in the college campus I’d set out a large work zone

I had tall cones and about a dozen 4’ pieces of ¾” pvc painted orange. They’d drop inside the cones like antenna. Then we’d take yellow caution tape and string it to the tips. No one ever wandered, or drove, into a work zone. Except my supervisor and coworkers who learned that if they came inside the work zone they had to have all PPE and bring a rake in then drag brush out

27RMT0N

When I worked in the college campus I’d set out a large work zone

I had tall cones and about a dozen 4’ pieces of ¾” pvc painted orange. They’d drop inside the cones like antenna. Then we’d take yellow caution tape and string it to the tips. No one ever wandered, or drove, into a work zone. Except my supervisor and coworkers who learned that if they came inside the work zone they had to have all PPE and bring a rake in then drag brush out
The more the better, sounds like you had a good setup. Back when I worked in the city, the worst job-sites were always at the university. Students would constantly ride their bikes or walk under the caution tape and into the job-site...

oldoakman

I know this for fact because I li ed and worked in a small town that housed a large university. Population of the town was about 32,000. Student enrollment was about 46,000. They are nothing but drunken cattle.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
When I was working for the Minneapolis Park Board we combined two crews to get out of a busy park quickly.

We had cones, taped and put up sandwich boards. The pickups with trailers parked for the Avants were blocking paths too. Two bucket trucks. 2-3 arbos pole pruning fro the ground. Groundies limbing and stacking

Everyone had full on PPE and Class 3 hi viz

We owned the area...we thought.

Our crew leader was on the Avant when a pedestrian, head down in his phone, steps over the flagging tape and marches toward a drop zone under a bucket. The crew leader stops short and yells at the guy! Whaddya doing! This is a work Area. Get outta here!

Phone guy, without stopping, says with indignation...

Well...I’m a millenial...

Rolls his eyes and goes ahead. Crew leader was gobsmacked for a speechless second then he came alive. He has a big deep voice too. Told millenial that it didn’t make a difference, get out of our work zone now or he would call Park police. Millenial was very putoff

Sheesh!

colb

I have a bit of pig pen wire running between my cone tips, hooked into my Milwaukee M18 Fuel batteries. If someone wanders in with their head down in their cell, they usually drop it when they contact the wire. The ground crew sticks it in a satchel hung from the neck of a spitting llama, then releases the shitzu.

B_Strange

Thanks folks! I’ll finish dropping trees tomorrow and then on to stump grinding. These are all tips I’ll use. Bigger cones and more of them for sure. Used triangles today and chunks of wood and someone weaseled a Prius between them, ran over my rope, looked at me and gave me a pinky wave and went back to looking at their phone. @Tom Dunlap was totally right. Those triangles and cones attract folks.

David_G895

So question for you guys that are blocking the roads. Are you pulling permits at every job or just calling it in.
Most of the time it’s for HOA so they allow us to block roads as part of our agreement.
When not in Associations, unless it’s for longer periods of time don't need a permit, keep in mind not every job requieres to close a road. Then on rare occasions we close off streets entirely and, pull permits and occasionally we are required to have a Police officer, in which case it would be taken into account at time of estimate since it does cost.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom