retracting reels

39Buick

I would not expect it to work with the reel or bungee though, probably too much friction
I would agree with Levi, Ropeman bites hard with heavy spring tension on the rope. I have a small Camp chest ascender, spring tension on it feels pretty light. Maybe not as light as your pantin though.

JMerritt

I love this idea. I too have a pantin that I stripped and use as my knee ascender. I stitched a small loop on the bottom slot so I can attach a carabiner to it. I know for sure that the king duck doesn’t work. I tried it and it doesn’t consistently bite on a rope under tension, so if your standing on your foot ascender and try to step on your knee ascender it only bites inconsistently.

Tree-Taylor

Glad this idea hasn't died. Nice job making it work Kevin. This is definitely the next step in the knee ascender progression.

While we're talking about retractable lanyards....has anyone ever set up a retractable rope retriever? I've looked at leashes and tie outs but they seem to cap out at 25'. A 45 or 50 footer would be nice.

evo

if anyone wants me to make them one, let me know. PM me I've got a lot of. both gammon and allmark reels here. electric tape is a bit crude so thinking of better options. I want a better string, spider wire spectra or something. right now I have used throw line which I see is a bit chunky. more friction. If you go to a three pound spring, you sacrifice either length of pull or bulk of the whole unit. there is also speed, the stronger the spring the faster you can go but again you start having to increase size of whole unit. My preferences have swerved towards as small and light as possible.
Hey, I'd be interested in a #3 reel to make my own if your looking to off load. If not it's no biggie I can just buy one when I get the time.

Marsupilaami

with this though its a race to the bottom. whats the least biggest reel that you can fit with the least biggest ascender. or the least friction ascender.
And which ascender is that, so far, in you experience? Petzl Pantin?

I assume both you and Brocky were talking about the one yoyo made for the SAKA and wrist rocket? If so, nice, I have one in the mail.

Edit: Why did you change out the steel wire?

treebing

And which ascender is that, so far, in you experience? Petzl Pantin?

I assume both you and Brocky were talking about the one yoyo made for the SAKA and wrist rocket? If so, nice, I have one in the mail.

Edit: Why did you change out the steel wire?
the stock eye it came with fatigued off. I could also see it developing burrs. I just ordered some 1mm spectra from a kite string supply place . that should be better.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom