Pinto Pully on SMC Oval Carabiner?

evo

I girth hitch my Pintos to webbing slings/ loop runners with the spacer in place, I thought that’s the point of making these pulleys with thick soft edges. “ Textile friendly” was how they were advertised anyways.
I just splice mine in a basket config to use as a Prussic. They fit through a very large ring to use either in a retrievable (can set from ground) or in a choked config. Just look up a “u-saver”. I think it is from old fart.

evo

We got options, it sounds like - I already possess a deadeye Ultrasling (that I use with my RigNwrench) which I could biner the Pinto onto.

Anyone ever negative rig little tops into a Pinto? I'm guessing that's a scenario where not being able to get the shortest/tightest possible sling setup would hurt (as in the case if using an Ultra).
I highly avoid any negative rigging on bearing pulleys. I’d rather just use a big shackle, ring, block, or just natty crotch it. I won’t even negative rig on my RE 2.6 Omni..
if you think you need a block, you probably need a block. If you want small and light isc’s micro block is pretty bomber.

Big blocks can take small ropes and small loads. Little blocks are very limited. Pulleys should only be used as redirects, or overhead light lowering. The only negative of using a big block is the weight.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Not to steer you in a totally different direction but for light duty rigging have you considered a small to medium rigging ring on an Ultra sling? Simple, lightweight, fast to install/uninstall. Only negative might be non mid line attachable. Rigging ring costs $25 for a small. Pinto Rig costs $90 without the spacer.
Light duty....hmmmm. I pound rings everyday with big loads. F**k a damn pinto.

LordFarkwad

Just got back from playing with rigging stuff in the yard under cover of darkness...

I don't think I mentioned it, but the original purpose of this was either a primary rigging point for light conventional rigging, or a redirect for the tail of a span rigging (double whip) setup.

I'm in the genesis of my rigging education. Heretofore, it's been mostly self-rigging, cut and let hang, then dice/cut-and-chuck, or all cut-and-chuck with snap cuts. I'm trying to work out how to do this solo or with minimal homeowner assistance, hence the interest in double whip.

I do have a couple of large Notch rings; one on a ring-n-ring sling (large steel ring on other end), and another on just an eye sling (cow/timber hitch). Just messed around outside with using each of these for the primary rigging point and on the running side of a span rigging setup. So that is good to go, I think. When I was using the Pinto on these setups just now, I had it on one of those CMI 3' yellow nylon slings (one of the beefy ones), clipped into it with the SMC oval carabiner. Good to go.

Also practiced how to set up and use a mini portawrap. I put that on my ultrasling. Seemed ok.

All that was just an aside/FYI for those interested in what I'm trying to do.

Jonny

I’m waiting impatiently for my Tenex Tec to get here from Wesspur and then I’ll show ya what I’m cooking up. It’ll take anything I’d throw at it with 1/2” rope. I’m excited to make this sling and put it to work.
Probably 90% or more of my positive rigging is done with 1/2” 12 strand.

Jonny

Got a nice piece of 1/2” Tenex Tec from Wesspur’s clearance rope section. Made this earlier. About 7’ usable length on a 1.5” Omniblock. Tomorrow I’ll do the same with my 2.6” MH Omniblock and should get about 9’. 4AF6E28C-38AA-4B52-901C-9A75BAEDA748.jpeg

LordFarkwad

Man that's nice. Does splice require any tools? What is it called?

Looks like something I could get into! Really nice looking rig there

Got a nice piece of 1/2” Tenex Tec from Wesspur’s clearance rope section. Made this earlier. About 7’ usable length on a 1.5” Omniblock. Tomorrow I’ll do the same with my 2.6” MH Omniblock and should get about 9’.

evo

It’s pretty cake, I can do it without any tools just fine but tape, a marker, and a ball point pen or other type of not pointy thing is really the only tool needed. Just YouTube locking brummel and you are essentially making pockets with locking brummels.

Jonny

It’s an ultrasling, or I’ve seen them called soft anchor slings. I used fids up until the last pocket, then cut the ends at an angle, and wrapped the ends in tape so they’re stiff. Could definitely do it without fids, really is very simple, and I still get confused by 3 strand eye splices. I just watched this video to learn. Can do it with a ring or not, I made a 5/8” one with a ring first. For this one I put a little tubular webbing on for a chafe sleeve.

LordFarkwad

Thank y'all. I had no idea making an ultra was that simple! I may have to try this with a rigging ring or something. Is it easy to get it tight enough around the ring to ensure the eye won't elongate and run the risk of the ring popping out under loading?

It’s pretty cake, I can do it without any tools just fine but tape, a marker, and a ball point pen or other type of not pointy thing is really the only tool needed. Just YouTube locking brummel and you are essentially making pockets with locking brummels.
It’s an ultrasling, or I’ve seen them called soft anchor slings. I used fids up until the last pocket, then cut the ends at an angle, and wrapped the ends in tape so they’re stiff. Could definitely do it without fids, really is very simple, and I still get confused by 3 strand eye splices. I just watched this video to learn. Can do it with a ring or not, I made a 5/8” one with a ring first. For this one I put a little tubular webbing on for a chafe sleeve.

Jonny

This was my first one from a few weeks ago. This I’ll use for negative rigging. The Omniblocks are for positive rigging/ overhead rigging point. The built in swivel is kinda cool on Omnis, but being able to open it up without taking it off a sling is what I find really useful. 7A05990B-096A-4448-9188-016A4CF4C1C8.jpeg

LordFarkwad

Watched that video (at 2x speed...man, that's the only gotcha with vids, is the amount of time it takes to consume the info)...

That was pretty simple. Okay REALLY simple. Need to learn more about these brummels.

Phil

My splicing tools for this are a tape measure, scissors and electrical tape. Its crazy easy. If you make one though, before you cut your legnth of rope, double it up on the ground and make a circle so you have an idea what size stem you can get it on.

LordFarkwad

So, could I take a length of Tenex TEC and lock a rigging ring in there with a triple locking brummel, then taper and bury the tail, and have it be better/stronger than simply knotting an rigging ring on there? What would the downside to this be? This seems like a really simple way to make a sling. Could it still be cow-hitched or otherwise choked, with the choke being placed right up at the ring where the splice is located?

Edit: ahh - forgot you have to whip it. That ups the complexity/effort by a decent margin...

Phil

So, could I take a length of Tenex TEC and lock a rigging ring in there with a triple locking brummel, then taper and bury the tail, and have it be better/stronger than simply knotting an rigging ring on there? What would the downside to this be? This seems like a really simple way to make a sling. Could it still be cow-hitched or otherwise choked, with the choke being placed right up at the ring where the splice is located?

Edit: ahh - forgot you have to whip it. That ups the complexity/effort by a decent margin...
Splices done properly will always be stronger than knots. If all you want is a ring locked on to a length of tenex tec, you don't need a triple lock brummel. A regular brummel with an appropriate length burried tail would be just fine. Samson has downloadable instructions for this. It's a 12 strand class 1 line.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.samsonrope.com/docs/default-source/splice-instructions/12strand_c1_whoopie_sling_tenex_tenex-tec_web.pdf?sfvrsn=906f9f16_2&ved=2ahUKEwjX782-ztTqAhUJK80KHRJtA1MQFjAEegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw28C-Go4TguGd2dy5BIKN5-

If you you're talking about putting a ring in the line at the midpoint and burring the entire rest of the tail to essentially make a double thick sling, that would be a waste of materials. May as well just make it an ultra sling. Keep in mind that the weak link in the system will likely be the rigging rope itself and if a 1/2" sling might not be strong enough, get you some 5/8ths or 3/4.

And lockstiching adds almost no complexity to tenex tec splices. It's one of the simplest lines to splice, which is why I like it so much haha. Instructions at the bottom:

The link I originally had here didn't seem to work so here the one to Samson's website.

The lock stitch is at the bottom of the 12 strand class 1 eye splice pdf

Last edited:

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
You now starting out. Buy rings spliced from Sherrill. Then learn to splice. When confident you can resplice the rings. I way prefer deadeyes then any of the lazy man ultras. You get no slop. Everything is cinched up where it needs to be. Just ring sitting properly in right position.

Phil

You now starting out. Buy rings spliced from Sherrill. Then learn to splice. When confident you can resplice the rings. I way prefer deadeyes then any of the lazy man ultras. You get no slop. Everything is cinched up where it needs to be. Just ring sitting properly in right position.
I wouldn't call them lazy at all. They are efficient. They are not a replacement for a very tightly tied dead eye by any means, but they certainly have their place in the tool bag. I would discourage sole use of ultra slings and even whoopie slings without first knowing how to tie on dead eyes with a cow hitch or timber hitch. If ever your fancy sling became damaged, unusable or forgotten back at the shop, you better know how to tie a regular sling up. Know the fundamentals and the basics first, then upgrade to whatever makes you giggle when you work.

Jonny

Thing about that is I can make a fancy ultrasling for less cash than I can buy a deadeye sling. Plus making them is fun... kinda therapeutic and I could use some therapy ;)
I got dead eyes a plenty, definitely prefer them to Whoopies unless we’re just slinging a portawrap while standing on the ground.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom