Pinto Pully on SMC Oval Carabiner?

LordFarkwad

Does this work? In other words, is the SMC oval symmetrical enough so as to not cause asymmetric loading on the cheek plate attachment points of the Pinto?

I wanted to use a Pinto as a light rigging point, and am considering options for how to attach it to a sling (either a spliced eye, a length of rope, or a loop sling).

Edit: if it's not obvious, using a loop sling would necessitate a carabiner attachment to the pulley (biner cliped or girthed to sling, cliped to Pinto), as would the spliced eye sling. In the case of simply using a length of rope, I suppose I could tie an open end-knot through the eyes of the pulley (with spacer, of course).

Any input? Thanks in advance gentle{men/ladies}.

Last edited:

LordFarkwad

Even with the biner, as backup? Good idea.

If I used only rope through the eyes, I'd definitely use the spacer, but that's a great suggestion that I probably would not have thought of.

Phil

Does this work? In other words, is the SMC oval symmetrical enough so as to not cause asymmetric loading on the cheek plate attachment points of the Pinto?

I wanted to use a Pinto as a light rigging point, and am considering options for how to attach it to a sling (either a spliced eye, a length of rope, or a loop sling).

Edit: if it's not obvious, using a loop sling would necessitate a carabiner attachment to the pulley (biner cliped or girthed to sling, cliped to Pinto), as would the spliced eye sling. In the case of simply using a length of rope, I suppose I could tie an open end-knot through the eyes of the pulley (with spacer, of course).

Not to steer you in a totally different direction but for light duty rigging have you considered a small to medium rigging ring on an Ultra sling? Simple, lightweight, fast to install/uninstall. Only negative might be non mid line attachable. Rigging ring costs $25 for a small. Pinto Rig costs $90 without the spacer.

LordFarkwad

Not to steer you in a totally different direction but for light duty rigging have you considered a small to medium rigging ring on an Ultra sling? Simple, lightweight, fast to install/uninstall. Only negative might be non mid line attachable. Rigging ring costs $25 for a small. Pinto Rig costs $90 without the spacer.
Definitely. I do possess a ring sling already too!

Jonny

I girth hitch my Pintos to webbing slings/ loop runners with the spacer in place, I thought that’s the point of making these pulleys with thick soft edges. “ Textile friendly” was how they were advertised anyways.

LordFarkwad

I girth hitch my Pintos to webbing slings/ loop runners with the spacer in place, I thought that’s the point of making these pulleys with thick soft edges. “ Textile friendly” was how they were advertised anyways.
I've not tried that, but that def is preferred. I thought it would be tough to get two thicknesses of webbing through there, and two rope diameters definitely isn't fitting.

Jonny

If you got some bulk tubular webbing you could just do a single pass through it and beer knot the loop closed so the pulley floats. It’ll never come untied though, you’ll be taking a knife/ scissors to the webbing if you ever want the Pinto back for a different purpose.
Some vendors sell those pulleys on Loopie slings too. Probably simple enough to make one.
Nothing wrong with using those biners either though.

LordFarkwad

If you got some bulk tubular webbing you could just do a single pass through it and beer knot the loop closed so the pulley floats. It’ll never come untied though, you’ll be taking a knife/ scissors to the webbing if you ever want the Pinto back for a different purpose.
Some vendors sell those pulleys on Loopie slings too. Probably simple enough to make one.
Nothing wrong with using those biners either though.
Are you using teeny tiny little Dyneema runners or something? It seems like it would even be a stretch to get 1" webbing through those eyes.

LordFarkwad

Ooo, that's nice, @Jehinten. I'm imagining making the prussik long, and putting a big enough ring on the sling such that the pinto can fit through it, then it can be set up as a choker. Yeah?

Is the only downside of a prussik-based rigging system the holding ability of the friction hitch?

ETA: if I went this route, I may forego having it spliced like is shown at the link (I have a contact locally who is a talented splicer) and just tie it on a loop of 8mm or 9mm RIT (double fisherman's loop). Whatcha stank?

Phil

Ooo, that's nice, @Jehinten. I'm imagining making the prussik long, and putting a big enough ring on the sling such that the pinto can fit through it, then it can be set up as a choker. Yeah?

Is the only downside of a prussik-based rigging system the holding ability of the friction hitch?

ETA: if I went this route, I may forego having it spliced like is shown at the link (I have a contact locally who is a talented splicer) and just tie it on a loop of 8mm or 9mm RIT (double fisherman's loop). Whatcha stank?
I would just go with an ultra sling setup vs an adjustable, knotted/spliced on version where you you have to pass it through a ring. The adjustability and cinching of an ultra sling to me negates the need for a prusik adjustable version, plus it uses less gear. Also, the prusik version, if knotted or spliced on is not midline attachable.

LordFarkwad

I would just go with an ultra sling setup vs an adjustable, knotted/spliced on version where you you have to pass it through a ring. The adjustability and cinching of an ultra sling to me negates the need for a prusik adjustable version. Also, the prusik version, if knotted or spliced on is not midline attachable.
Dang, you're right - carabiner attachment to sling fixes that (edit - girth hitching does not fix that issue - derrrr; forgive me, guys, i'm really slow with visualizing this stuff).

So many options. I'm going to have to play with it when I get a chance and just see what works, is lightest, is quickest, etc.

Last edited:

Jehinten

https://www.treestuff.com/rope-logic-rigsaver/

I got my friction hitch pinto when I bought this item. Its pretty multifunctional, used as just a ring and ring, AFS (rigging only), choked into an aluminum ring only redirect, set up as a 3:1 z-rig... many options.

Ultra slings are nice too, I'm sure you'd like either option.

LordFarkwad

https://www.treestuff.com/rope-logic-rigsaver/

I got my friction hitch pinto when I bought this item. Its pretty multifunctional, used as just a ring and ring, AFS (rigging only), choked into an aluminum ring only redirect, set up as a 3:1 z-rig... many options.

Ultra slings are nice too, I'm sure you'd like either option.
We got options, it sounds like - I already possess a deadeye Ultrasling (that I use with my RigNwrench) which I could biner the Pinto onto.

Anyone ever negative rig little tops into a Pinto? I'm guessing that's a scenario where not being able to get the shortest/tightest possible sling setup would hurt (as in the case if using an Ultra).

Jehinten

We got options, it sounds like - I already possess a deadeye Ultrasling (that I use with my RigNwrench) which I could biner the Pinto onto.

Anyone ever negative rig little tops into a Pinto? I'm guessing that's a scenario where not being able to get the shortest/tightest possible sling setup would hurt (as in the case if using an Ultra).
I have with that rig saver, in the AFS setup. I keep the size pretty small when negative rigging.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom