Pinto Pully on SMC Oval Carabiner?

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Never liked anything but deadeyes. Tried them all. All I got was messing around with uneccessary slop. Would love to see that one trick pony ultra setting up rigging up a removal, moving up a trunk to the primary PSP. Creating good vectors. As a terminal PSP up high fine, I could see it working there...but how long does it take to tie a lovely cowhitch or timber hitch..sweet f**k all.

Reactions: evo

Phil

Never liked anything but deadeyes. Tried them all. All I got was messing around with uneccessary slop. Would love to see that one trick pony ultra setting up rigging up a removal, moving up a trunk to the primary PSP. Creating good vectors. As a terminal PSP up high fine, I could see it working there...but how long does it take to tie a lovely cowhitch or timber hitch..sweet f**k all.
I use ultra slings for more than rigging. I use one as a choker line for the chipper winch. I made one out of 1/4" tenex with a larger eye to use as a stirrup when I need a good foot location during a prune job when not on spikes. I also use that 1/4" one for light duty cut'n'hang rigging. I use one when I need to use the rope come along etc etc. No one called it a one trick pony.

evo

So, could I take a length of Tenex TEC and lock a rigging ring in there with a triple locking brummel, then taper and bury the tail, and have it be better/stronger than simply knotting an rigging ring on there? What would the downside to this be? This seems like a really simple way to make a sling. Could it still be cow-hitched or otherwise choked, with the choke being placed right up at the ring where the splice is located?

Edit: ahh - forgot you have to whip it. That ups the complexity/effort by a decent margin...
Whipping or lock stitching is cake. I make this kind of stuff in the winter on long dark nights. Or when the weather is crap. I haven’t bought a spliced anything in bout a decade.

LordFarkwad

Whipping or lock stitching is cake. I make this kind of stuff in the winter on long dark nights. Or when the weather is crap. I haven’t bought a spliced anything in bout a decade.
It sounds real convenient once the skills and tools are all in place, for sure!

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I use ultra slings for more than rigging. I use one as a choker line for the chipper winch. I made one out of 1/4" tenex with a larger eye to use as a stirrup when I need a good foot location during a prune job when not on spikes. I also use that 1/4" one for light duty cut'n'hang rigging. I use one when I need to use the rope come along etc etc. No one called it a one trick pony.
Okay....and I called it a one trick pony. In rigging.....

evo

It sounds real convenient once the skills and tools are all in place, for sure!
It’s all skills, easily learned online. Very few tools needed, just a measuring tape, whipping needle and twine. The rest you can make, just a hardware store $3 piece of music wire (a coat hanger will work) and stuff you likely already have in the tool shed. Such as a mallet (used a wooden closet rod), pliers, vise, bluntish pokey thing (large rounded tipped nail). Can’t forget tape and a measuring stick.
I can splice just about any rope with the tools listed above. Tenex is easy enough just to do with fingers, tape, and a ball point pen.

Jonny

Next week I’m going to attempt a 3 strand eye splice for poly Dacron flipline to use on pines and spruce.
Finished the other one for the 2.6” material handler Omni. About 9’. Probably a bit long now that I think on it more.
04906A95-3285-4CB0-B67C-6F3747408DEC.jpeg

Jonny

I will eventually learn to do double braids and the naked eyes on Beeline and UltraTech. I heard Tenex is a good way to begin to learn though.

Phil

Next week I’m going to attempt a 3 strand eye splice for poly Dacron flipline to use on pines and spruce.
Finished the other one for the 2.6” material handler Omni. About 9’. Probably a bit long now that I think on it more.
View attachment 69291
Is there a reason you haven't burried and stitched the last bit of tail on this? If it's too long you can always undo a pocket or two and cut the extra length off.

Jonny

Is there a reason you haven't burried and stitched the last bit of tail on this?
Poplar Mechanic in the vid said it was cosmetic and not critical so I said screw it.
Is that correct though? For what it’s worth, it’s long enough that I’m certain I’ll never use the last pocket.

Phil

Poplar Mechanic in the vid said it was cosmetic and not critical so I said screw it.
Is that correct though? For what it’s worth, it’s long enough that I’m certain I’ll never use the last pocket.
I think it is cosmetic. I'm mildly OCD so I like the tail burried and finished. Just looks cleaner to me. I would say not burring and stitching could allow the last set of brummels to loosen over time but you have that rubber sleeve to stop that.

LordFarkwad

Last week, I needed another sling, and wanted a deadeye, so I ordered one form Wesspur which arrived today. 1/2" Tenex Tec.

After having gone and looked up the brummel stuff a little bit at y'all's prompting, I can see that this deadeye sling is simply a single triple-locked brummel with the tail tucked inside below the eye and then seized with twine (siezed? Someone correct my terminology if that's wrong).

I think I could make one of these. Is T-Rex and most other 12-strands able to be spliced the same way? Man, if so....a whole neewwwwww worlddddddddddddd

IMG_20200720_113706949.jpg

Jonny

Lock stitched. Yes, might be a little variation in MBS, but Tenex, Nerex, Yalex, T-rex is all about the same construction. 12 strand polyester hollow braid.

evo

Last week, I needed another sling, and wanted a deadeye, so I ordered one form Wesspur which arrived today. 1/2" Tenex Tec.

After having gone and looked up the brummel stuff a little bit at y'all's prompting, I can see that this deadeye sling is simply a single triple-locked brummel with the tail tucked inside below the eye and then seized with twine (siezed? Someone correct my terminology if that's wrong).

I think I could make one of these. Is T-Rex and most other 12-strands able to be spliced the same way? Man, if so....a whole neewwwwww worlddddddddddddd

View attachment 69336
It’s really that simple. Sampson ropes has splicing instructions and also a fid chart so you can simply use a tape measure.
Try a few and then hit me up for a few tricks which make it even easier, I don’t want to throw too much at you until you get the basics down

LordFarkwad

It’s really that simple. Sampson ropes has splicing instructions and also a fid chart so you can simply use a tape measure.
Try a few and then hit me up for a few tricks which make it even easier, I don’t want to throw too much at you until you get the basics down
Yeah - the level of work I'm doing doesn't warrant me getting into splicing anything more complicated than this, and the level of time I have to devote to it definitely doesn't warrant it; it almost seems like for a lot of people, splicing constitutes a hobby unto itself. No new hobbies for this guy!

I appreciate the offer. I may order a length of Tenex to have on-hand, and then try out some of this stuff.

Is lock stitching optional? Or is it required?

Jehinten

Is lock stitching optional? Or is it required?
The lock stitching actually does nothing for the strength of the splice, it simply prevents it from being pulled apart when not under a load. For 12 strand I'd say mandatory due to how easily the tail of the splice can be pulled out. For other ropes such as 16 strand it is not necessary but can still be done.

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom