New MS400c

ConeCollector

I’ve been running my 500i for a few months and can confirm it’s no 395, it’s also not a leaf blower or a papaya. I too have found the AV system to be a bit soft with a 32” bar it seems to be a lot of leverage on it. I’ve opted to run mine with a 25” light bar, I would like to try a 28” I suspect that’s the sweet spot. It’s a great saw but perhaps has been hyped up too much. I replaced an older 372xp and have found the 500i a capable replacement and pretty fun to run. But I’m still grabbing my Madsen’s built 661 or my 395 when I’m getting into larger timber or snags.

rico

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really get the 500i vs 395 comparison even though it's interesting. Although the hp rating are almost the same (for what that's worth), the 395 is 15cc larger and 2.5 pounds heavier, it had better be more powerful! I just feel like they are different types/class of saw. I'm still interested in getting a 500i to exclusively run a lightweight 28" since I keep the 36" on my 661. I do wish I had a Husky dealer around me...
My point is that for less money the 395XP plainly outperforms the 500i, and it also wins in the ass-whoop/grunt per money department by a long stretch..

And I wholeheartedly agree that Stihl's slightly misleading sale pitch on the 500i has been a smashing success...Hell, even I felt like I had to have one...

Last edited:

rico

Spoke to the local Stihl shop about it and the AV system is really targeted at cutting logs on the ground, and their customers really liked the AV system for that.

The AV System is articulated and would likely need maintenance in my mind as it would likely soften up even further.
So for $1400 you get an 80cc saw thats great for cutting firewood, but feels like dookie at the stump....Brilliant

Last edited:

Chaplain242

So for $1400 you get an 80cc saw thats great for cutting firewood, but feels like dookie at the stump....Brilliant
With power, and the satisfaction that you are meeting the latest thing in California Emissions Regulations compliance...

Reach

We picked one up from our dealer a couple weeks ago - they like us, so they gave us first option when they finally arrived.

Power is great, it’s not too heavy, but what I really love is the throttle response. It’s instant, almost no windup like a normal saw has. We bought it for aerial use, mainly cutting with a crane.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom