New MS400c

Reach

Pro Tip: put a bar and chain on it before Monday. (Tee hee)

Congrats! Doubt I'll see one of them anytime soon. If my local dealers were in charge of television, we wouldn't get Monday Night Football until Thursday.
Wow, that’s unfortunate. My dealer would probably put Monday night football out the Saturday night before, and deliver the cold beer and fresh baked pretzels to my living room half an hour before the game! (Can you tell I like my dealer? They’re the best!)

Jonny

Looks beautiful. Looking forward to a review after you get some hours on it.

You plan on running a 24”/25” bar on it? Curious how it’ll do buried in softer stuff like all the silver maple and poplar around here.

Dan Cobb

I have a few Stihl dealers nearby. I like one in particular, but none of them ever seem to have a lot of chainsaw inventory.

VenasNursery

Looks beautiful. Looking forward to a review after you get some hours on it.

You plan on running a 24”/25” bar on it? Curious how it’ll do buried in softer stuff like all the silver maple and poplar around here.
If we like the 400 it will be replacing our 362’s and will be running 20”

VenasNursery

Very much in experimental category especially in hot conditions. Plus the weight reduction on the power train means less inertia (less felt torque)...
What I researched this morning on magnesium pistons that they are lighter
From my take lighter pistons, flywheel etc lighter rotating assembly = Hot rod

time will tell

Reach

Tomorrow I’ll find out
And yes our 500 is very loud
I’ll be curious to hear how it works. And the noise of the 500i sounds like another reason to not buy it. I like the idea of the lightweight powerhouse, but I’m a little hesitant to buy something with so many computers. I also have learned to not appreciate louder than necessary engines in my old (I’m 32) age.

I do make an exception to the “loud engines” rule for modified semis on the pulling track though. Those are supposed to be earthshakingly loud.

VenasNursery

I’ll be curious to hear how it works. And the noise of the 500i sounds like another reason to not buy it. I like the idea of the lightweight powerhouse, but I’m a little hesitant to buy something with so many computers. I also have learned to not appreciate louder than necessary engines in my old (I’m 32) age.

I do make an exception to the “loud engines” rule for modified semis on the pulling track though. Those are supposed to be earthshakingly loud.
I agree but the 500i is worth it (to me)

the 400 is a c model not a i model so I think it’s less electronics
But on the other hand the 500i has been flawless
I wish it was a i model because I love the 500i so much

Reach

I agree but the 500i is worth it (to me)

the 400 is a c model not a i model so I think it’s less electronics
But on the other hand the 500i has been flawless
I wish it was a i model because I love the 500i so much
Appreciate the review. We just picked up another 462 a week ago, considered the 500 but it wasn’t available and no idea when it will be again.

The C models are usually also M models, which are M-tronic, with the electronic carburetor. Less electronic and more proven than the fuel injected engine, although it has had a good run in a concrete saw for a few years, and an engine that can survive a concrete saw will probably survive anything.

ConeCollector

Don’t get me wrong, the 500i is a incredible saw! The power to weight ratio is remarkable. Functionally it has replaced my 261 and my Maddens tuned 661. With a 25” bar it is often faster for me to make a triple cut than a double cut with the 32” bar on the 661.... but the cost is it’s loud.

VenasNursery

Don’t get me wrong, the 500i is a incredible saw! The power to weight ratio is remarkable. Functionally it has replaced my 261 and my Maddens tuned 661. With a 25” bar it is often faster for me to make a triple cut than a double cut with the 32” bar on the 661.... but the cost is it’s loud.
They are definitely proud lol

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom