New MS400c

climbstihl

A friend of mine snagged the display unit from our dealer about a month ago, he said they won't have any more till early 2022. Apparently all manufacturers are having trouble with supply, my Husqy/Pfanner dealer told me the other day. This is in Germany btw.
I was really surprised how light it felt, I couldn't tell the 400 apart from my 026 weight wise, but is is quite a bit more bulky. It was slightly front heavy with a 18" bar on it, not enough to matter much I think, but for a 20" bar I would go with a light bar. My friend wants to put a 20" regular bar on there that he has lying around, but hasn't changed from the stock one yet. Stihl Germany says max length is 18" for that saw, but their recommendations are always very short...
Neither of us has used it much yet, we did notice it has super fast acceleration, a benefit of the lighter piston.
Looking forward to trying it, especially climbing, but on the next tree I'll have to choose between trying the 400 or the new full wrap handle I put on the 026...

Last edited:

VenasNursery

A friend of mine snagged the display unit from our dealer about a month ago, he said they won't have any more till early 2022. Apparently all manufacturers are having trouble with supply, my Husqy/Pfanner dealer told me the other day. This is in Germany btw.
I was really surprised how light it felt, I couldn't tell the 400 apart from my 026 weight wise, but is is quite a bit more bulky. It was slightly front heavy with a 18" bar on it, not enough to matter much I think, but for a 20" bar I would go with a light bar. My friend wants to put a 20" regular bar on there that he has lying around, but hasn't changed from the stock one yet. Stihl Germany says max length is 18" for that saw, but their recommendations are always very short...
Neither of us has used it much yet, we did notice it has super fast acceleration, a benefit of the lighter piston.
Looking forward to trying it, especially climbing, but on the next tree I'll have to choose between trying the 400 or the new full wrap handle I put on the 026...
18” seems small
We run a 20 on a 362 and have no issues I’d hope the 400 would do even better

Mitch Hoy

Magnesium piston makes it a no for me.

They have to be chromium electro-plated or something for wear... Otherwise I would share the same concerns.

Looks like a great crane saw on paper, anxious to hear your review!

Jonny

but on the next tree I'll have to choose between trying the 400 or the new full wrap handle I put on the 026...

I want a full or 3/4 wrap for my 026, where’d you find that?
Only one I’ve ever seen was one made for 044 and modified a little to fit. I might just do that. A full wrap is so nice for spar work sometimes.

climbstihl

I want a full or 3/4 wrap for my 026, where’d you find that?
Only one I’ve ever seen was one made for 044 and modified a little to fit. I might just do that. A full wrap is so nice for spar work sometimes.
Yeah, that's what I did, needed to drill a second hole on the bottom, and grind the ends of the tubes a millimeter shorter, they wouldn't fit in the recesses, I think that was due to poor tolerances, it was a cheap aftermarket one. Feels sturdy though. I knew there was going to be a lot more clearance between the handle and saw, but it was much more than I expected, not sure if I'm going to like that. View attachment IMG_20210407_185925.jpg

I can't even get a 500i from my local dealer, I've been asking for like two months now... I'll certainly be curious where the 400c fits in to the range of new saws power-wise.
Our dealer has around 100k in saws on order. Dealership just changed hands as the owner retired but it’s been around 35 years. Excellent place. They do husky and stihl.
Ordered a 500i myself about a month ago. They had 15 of them on order and I was number 11. Yet to get a call it was in. If you see one available or this 400 buy it. Even if you don’t want it can sell it on the internet for more.

Dan Cobb

I can see paying a premium for a saw that's hard to find, except I'd be hesitant about buying a "new" saw with no warranty. How would the warranty be affected if you bought a new saw secondhand?

I’m not sure on that end. There’s a stihl chainsaw Facebook group. Guys from all over the world have been raving about them. Each will post if they see one in a dealer or if they grab them. For the most part these saws have been flawless.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom