Need some help with airspade proposal

JD3000

Most well-known member
Mess from an air spade cleans up really well. It's the world's greatest leaf blower. Just blast it and it disperses really well.

802climber

Mess from an air spade cleans up really well. It's the world's greatest leaf blower. Just blast it and it disperses really well.
Thats kind of what I'm worried about. I'm sure we've all seen plenty of beds destroyed by backpack blowers.

JD3000

Most well-known member
Blast into the grass area. It's not that much soil until you start getting into trenching. Even most of that will stay near the trench.

802climber

Copy that. Thanks. What is a reasonable target width for the trenches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD3000

Most well-known member
Wider the better as the soil is compacted and others mentioned great depth may not be necessary and it's very difficult to blast it out past say 18" or so.
Do you have to retain/reseed turf or can you bed the tree further?

802climber

For now we are going to leave the turf and see how the tree does. Of course it would be nice to bed the tree further in the future. Probably only 1/4 of root zone is turf.

802climber

For trenches Im thinking 1-2 feet wide by about a foot deep. And as long as practical. And we'll till the rest of the area with airspade just deep enough to break up compaction and incorporate amendments. Am I being more realistic now? Thanks

JD3000

Most well-known member
Yep. Go wider. Maybe some vertical cores between trenches?

Pick out ammendments yet?

Mangoes

Supersonic air knife x-hfa is NOT root friendly in high flow mode (large nozzle, 90psi, 330cfm with 375cfm compressor). It will stir up massive amounts of soil, strip all roots clean of bark and send all silty soil particles airborne.

Handy to have on very rare projects where this capacity helps and roots are irrelevant (aerating my septic field). The "flame" of blue compressed air is wild to see as well.

Otherwise the smaller nozzle and compressor is best.

ROYCE

Supersonic air knife x-hfa is NOT root friendly in high flow mode (large nozzle, 90psi, 330cfm with 375cfm compressor). It will stir up massive amounts of soil, strip all roots clean of bark and send all silty soil particles airborne.

Handy to have on very rare projects where this capacity helps and roots are irrelevant (aerating my septic field). The "flame" of blue compressed air is wild to see as well.

Otherwise the smaller nozzle and compressor is best.
But super helpful in de-compacting a very heavily compacted area. Not sure if thats the case here. But I have removed entire sod lawns and made them into root space with the SSAK. But I agree not the tool for RCX or areas where your coming into contact with roots.

JD3000

Most well-known member
I make a point to blast away/kinda sideways for RCX with the air spade for same reason. Never used the air knife.