Moss Cinching Lanyard prototype

Barc Buster

Excellent Andrew! Any headway on selling these? I'd definitely be interested in a prototype to help fund a finished product or to be a test mule.

LordFarkwad

Moss, the top picture could be done without the DMM ring being attached to the lanyard, correct? I.e., put a bight through the ring on the side coming from harness, take the spliced end with carabiner around limb/tree, remove biner and put splice through the ring (3 legs of line total through ring now), then place biner back in splice so that the end of the lanyard is blocked in the ring.

Or is that over-complicated and there is an even simpler way to do what I'm saying? I have quickies and stuff I could replace the biner temporarily with, so as to add side-loading capability, but just trying to think of other ways to work with tools I may have on-hand at one time or another.

Is there anything wrong with doing this (beside all the steps, and how your rig here makes it much more efficient)? Loading?

Disclaimer: I still have a difficult time visualizing this stuff (getting better as I build the vocab, gain experience using these things, etc.), so if I say anything absolutely clown shoes, it can be chalked up to this.

edit: What I was describing wouldn't work (I'm at a desk with MSpaint. Disclaimer comes into play full force)...

edit 2: This, which isn't what I was describing above...

Some eye candy from an oak pruning job yesterday...

Non-sliding anchor, multiple wraps then locked off on a skinny oak top

With a branch union available can lock it this way without the disadvantages of using the lanyard MRS

-AJ

Last edited:

moss

Moss, the top picture could be done without the DMM ring being attached to the lanyard, correct? I.e., put a bight through the ring on the side coming from harness, take the spliced end with carabiner around limb/tree, remove biner and put splice through the ring (3 legs of line total through ring now), then place biner back in splice so that the end of the lanyard is blocked in the ring.

Or is that over-complicated and there is an even simpler way to do what I'm saying? I have quickies and stuff I could replace the biner temporarily with, so as to add side-loading capability, but just trying to think of other ways to work with tools I may have on-hand at one time or another.

Is there anything wrong with doing this (beside all the steps, and how your rig here makes it much more efficient)? Loading?

Disclaimer: I still have a difficult time visualizing this stuff (getting better as I build the vocab, gain experience using these things, etc.), so if I say anything absolutely clown shoes, it can be chalked up to this.

edit: What I was describing wouldn't work (I'm at a desk with MSpaint. Disclaimer comes into play full force)...

edit 2: This, which isn't what I was describingabove...
That works. Take a look at the thimble prussik, I made one with a ring and some New England Ropes tech cord.
-AJ

Batla

edit 2: This, which isn't what I was describing above...
Your drawing looks very much like the proposal from Worthaug (https://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/moss-cinching-lanyard-prototype.39105/post-632581)

LordFarkwad

Dag... serves me right for not reading the entire thread :rayos:
I put some Petzl eashooks on my lanyard this weekend, so that also kills that idea - no taking that guy off in the tree and putting the spliced end though the DMM.

I like them thangs tho, otherwise!

Mowerr

I put some Petzl eashooks on my lanyard this weekend, so that also kills that idea - no taking that guy off in the tree and putting the spliced end though the DMM.

I like them thangs tho, otherwise!
The way Reed did it if I remember correctly....he would leave the ring on his lanyard, and to avoid it flopping around he would slide it over his Mohican just above the bottom wrap there's a little space. If left there the hitch still performs as usual and u have your ring ready to choke anytime.

LordFarkwad

The way Reed did it if I remember correctly....he would leave the ring on his lanyard, and to avoid it flopping around he would slide it over his Mohican just above the bottom wrap there's a little space. If left there the hitch still performs as usual and u have your ring ready to choke anytime.
But I can't get my Eashook end through the ring...?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I understand, going back and look at Reed's setup. I use a DEDA, so I don't know if that mucks this arrangement up or what...

Edit 2: Actually, no I don't get it :muyenojado:

Mowerr

But I can't get my Eashook end through the ring...?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I understand, going back and look at Reed's setup. I use a DEDA, so I don't know if that mucks this arrangement up or what...

Edit 2: Actually, no I don't get it :muyenojado:
Take the eashook off and put the ring on?

Mowerr

Sure but I thought one of the big advantages of an eashook was that it was easily removable.
There's so many ways to do this so mess around.

LordFarkwad

Sure but I thought one of the big advantages of an eashook was that it was easily removable.
There's so many ways to do this so mess around.
It's "easy" relative to cutting a splice open and taking your snap out, then re-splicing it to another lanyard, I suppose.

I wanted to cinch on a crown reduction this past weekend, and so I just took the lanyard end around a 3-4" branch 540deg and hooked the eashook into a slipknot about 6" up the line (back towards my saddle). It worked okay (cinched and prevented the snap from being cross-loaded), but consumed more line than something more elegant like @moss's lanyard here, or some solution involving a ring. Anything wrong with that, you reckon?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom