Moss Cinching Lanyard prototype

LordFarkwad

@Mowerr, yeah man staying pretty busy. Working with some good dudes around central NC occasionally. Doing about a job a week or so, it seems like recently. Still trying to get more comfortable in trees, trying not to worry about them breaking, etc., etc. Long way to go... Thanks for asking about it, man!

It's exactly like the Ring Open @Brocky put up there - allen key, little segment that crossbolt goes through, threaded on one end, rubber washer on other to help prevent back-out of the bolt.

I was complaining about the difficulty of removing all that in the tree, versus unclipping a carabiner, threading splice through ring, reclipping carabiner.

rope-a-dope

It's "easy" relative to cutting a splice open and taking your snap out, then re-splicing it to another lanyard, I suppose.

I wanted to cinch on a crown reduction this past weekend, and so I just took the lanyard end around a 3-4" branch 540deg and hooked the eashook into a slipknot about 6" up the line (back towards my saddle). It worked okay (cinched and prevented the snap from being cross-loaded), but consumed more line than something more elegant like @moss's lanyard here, or some solution involving a ring. Anything wrong with that, you reckon?
I have done this before and didnt have any doubts about it other than dressing the slip knot (marlin spike once you clip it) well enough to hold tight. It was in a fork, but wrapping once seems like a good solution here for cinching a lanyard with a snap.

LordFarkwad

I have done this before and didnt have any doubts about it other than dressing the slip knot (marlin spike once you clip it) well enough to hold tight. It was in a fork, but wrapping once seems like a good solution here for cinching a lanyard with a snap.
What could happen if it's not spiked? I thought the snap itself served as a marlin spike, as it were?

Last edited:

Mowerr

What could happen if it's not spiked? I thought the snap itself served as a marlin spike, as it were?
What are you using for an adjuster on your lanyard?
If using a hitch try it the way Reed does it....if not then use a Mohican and try it the way Reed does it lol
I got one set up like that and the ring never comes off the hitch unless I tell it to and the hitch works flawlessly.

LordFarkwad

Just saw this -

I have a Mich. hitch on each end of my lanyard (one has a dog snap fairlead, and the other has a Pinto).

So you're saying just run a DMM (or otherwise) ring? Edit: and switch out the eashook for a carabiner that I can pop out, run the splice through the ring, then carabiner block the ring?

Last edited:

rope-a-dope

It's just nomenclature, slip knots pop out if you load the line with out spiking them. The marlin spike hitch when loaded in midline sort of opens up the ordinary slip knot form as the slippery tail is loaded.

Mowerr

This is what I did...

The ring Reed and I use is one of the smaller, maybe the smallest ring dmm makes. Put your lanyard through the ring and slide the ring down and over the top wraps of the Mohican so that when your not using the ring for choke it will sit in the space above the bottom wrap of the hitch. If you use a 4over 1 then the ring sits below the 4 and above the bottom 1.

Mowerr

The ring Reed and I use is one of the smaller, maybe the smallest ring dmm makes. Put your lanyard through the ring and slide the ring down and over the top wraps of the Mohican so that when your not using the ring for choke it will sit in the space above the bottom wrap of the hitch. If you use a 4over 1 then the ring sits below the 4 and above the bottom 1.
If you would just look back at Reed's posts I think he took pictures and everything.

moss

My new batch of slic pins are a full 10mm diameter so they don't fit pin diameter I've been drilling for. My first two shackles were made with recalled cast Quickie pins. They have a smaller head. Here is the new shackle going forward (on the right):

LordFarkwad

If you would just look back at Reed's posts I think he took pictures and everything.
Haha I saw it say before yesterday or whenever it was first linked, but man I'm literally not seeing how he doesn't have to unclip a carabiner every time he wants to cinch. If I had a carabiner on the end of my lanyard instead of the eashook, easy peasy, I get it. I'll take another look in the morning and see if there's something obvious I'm missing here...

Mowerr

Haha I saw it say before yesterday or whenever it was first linked, but man I'm literally not seeing how he doesn't have to unclip a carabiner every time he wants to cinch. If I had a carabiner on the end of my lanyard instead of the eashook, easy peasy, I get it. I'll take another look in the morning and see if there's something obvious I'm missing here...
Ahh I see what your saying. Yes ditch the snap so you can just unclip the biner, slide the ring up over and off the hitch and slide the splice through and reclip the biner o to the eye. It will choke tight on any diameter I've tried and where I think it shines Best is when you want to remove it...it's fast slick efficient. Worth a try. If ya don't like it theres so many other ways to do this.

LordFarkwad

Ahh I see what your saying. Yes ditch the snap so you can just unclip the biner, slide the ring up over and off the hitch and slide the splice through and reclip the biner o to the eye. It will choke tight on any diameter I've tried and where I think it shines Best is when you want to remove it...it's fast slick efficient. Worth a try. If ya don't like it theres so many other ways to do this.
Man I'm glad I'm not crazy! xD

Cool I'ma mess around with this.

LordFarkwad

Put a bight of rope from below snap through the ring and clip the snap to it, pull the slack out?
oooooOOOOoooo that's nice! I'll have to play with that as well and see how it dooooo. Man, y'all that come up with this stuff have beautiful minds. I'd never think of half of this.