Mini Skids

brendonv

In the passanger seat!

Typically a trip back is nessesary to haul the log trailer and grab logs, so it would go in the bed there again for the ride home. Occasionally a trip back is nessessary. Beats another truck and usually allows you to collect the check. Chips dump local so we are talking maybe 10-15 minute ride. Typically haul everything back at the end of job with local dump sites. Id post pics but this new site setup is terrible.

Lumberjack

Doing profitable tree removal without machinery is certainly a niche... one I don't care to entertain. I usually use bigger machines now, but still lawn damage isn't a big issue, usually.

The Thomas was easier on grass than the Boxer, but the Boxer makes fewer trips due to its increased capacity.

For less lawn damage, use an articulated loader!

welltree

Anyone done a cost-benefit analysis and/or Return on Investment review?

I sold mine after 5 years and gave up on the principle.

ROI was easy to figure out, but cost benefit analysis was more abstract, and didn't prove viability. Quick issues:
- lawn damage
- extra assets required to function the machine: trailer, tow vehicle, peripheral fuel cost
- lawn damage
- lawn damage mitigation costs: plywood/mats
- training and competency obligations (P&P required for each machine or process, for those that care to adhere to regs) and the costs associated with implementing
- lawn damage

I got really bored with being accountable for lawn landscape damages I didn't perform.
You forgot 1 thing , easier work makes happy employees the small price per month for a machine like that will be offset by happy employees that go do a dirty job and haul out debris faster easier,maybe they do 2 jobs that day instead of one and hate every minute of it. sure you can rent but Mother Nature and rental companies don't always agree .my opinion is happy employees work harder and at the end of the day will get more done and that is what makes $$

climbhightree

Vermeer is doing away with the 650tx, and developed a whole new machine 725tx.

file:///C:/Users/Bryan%20Weaver/Downloads/S725TX_Spec_Sheet_1014.pdf (spec sheet)

S725TX_RLG_ACTION1_low.jpg

Looks like they offer a rotating grapple now too. There is a switch to allow 2 hydraulic operations, which I like. Appears a bit more powerful and lift height then the 650tx...and they finally raised the drive sprocket.

Not a fan of no lights, and the operator presence platform. I had also requested a rear hitch receiver (when they called asking for my review, after I bought the 650tx)

climbhightree

Vermeer grapple looks lame. Why would i want to drag brush with the boom raised in the air. Tip hazard

100% agree. I tried telling that to my vermeer salesman, on the old style. Said it was one of the main reasons why I was going to get a bmg grapple.

If I wanted a rotator, I would get a Ryan's...especially if I had the 725tx.

deevo

Vermeer is doing away with the 650tx, and developed a whole new machine 725tx.

file:///C:/Users/Bryan%20Weaver/Downloads/S725TX_Spec_Sheet_1014.pdf (spec sheet)

S725TX_RLG_ACTION1_low.jpg

Looks like they offer a rotating grapple now too. There is a switch to allow 2 hydraulic operations, which I like. Appears a bit more powerful and lift height then the 650tx...and they finally raised the drive sprocket.

Not a fan of no lights, and the operator presence platform. I had also requested a rear hitch receiver (when they called asking for my review, after I bought the 650tx)
Looks nice, tracks totally different also, less likelihood of throwing the track!

Treetopflyer

I'm looking into Mini Skids. From what I've seen I'm thinking the big Boxer or Vermeer. Anyone have any experience with them? I may end up looking at a Dingo as well, a lot smaller but I might have a line on a well maintained one for a decent price.
Love my little Ditch Witch sk350 . Doesn't have huge tip capacity , but gets the job done and I got a good deal on it . Kohler 25 HP sips fuel and is easily replaced cheaply if needed,but I've never had any problems with it all . I like how the controls are setup compared to the boxer I used those controls were not my style personally. I'm small family operation and looking for low overhead reliable equipment to put money in my bank and not the financiers pocket ..that why I went small ,but depending on your budget ..bigger is better isn't that what they say .. As long as you get through that 36inch gate !

Lumberjack

The new Boxer 900HD is going to be a beast, should be available in February. Dual joysticks, auxiliary switch on each joystick, 48hp, 94" lift height, hydrostatic drive.... Should be an interesting contender between minis, the AL140-340/Avant400-500s, and small skid steers. It won't fit through a 36" gate, but that's the price to pay.

climbhightree

The new Boxer 900HD is going to be a beast, should be available in February. Dual joysticks, auxiliary switch on each joystick, 48hp, 94" lift height, hydrostatic drive.... Should be an interesting contender between minis, the AL140-340/Avant400-500s, and small skid steers. It won't fit through a 36" gate, but that's the price to pay.

I seen that at the expo...that thing is huge, and tank like. Personally I think if i was going to go that big, I would want a ride on machine like the al140-340 or Avant.

Lumberjack

It has its applications. It can out lift the 140, push like a 340 (think climbing hills and the like with a load) and is roughly the same length as the Avant 528 (carry it sideways on a truck/trailer). Width wise, its basically the same as the 532 with its tracks out, which is the same as the 520 or 140 without duals. Price wise will end up being around the same as the Avant 528, but with the hp of the Gehl AL540 and more auxiliary flow in either of its two ciruits than the AL540. The tank like front end is ideal for tree work it seems, the radiator is well protected from limbs.

Like I said, it's interesting concept I would like to review. I think it will serve some niches very well. I'm contemplating the idea of carrying it on my F550 that pulls the gooseneck with the stump grinder and excavator in it. We will see how it pans out.

SJ_Treeguy

We own two vermeers both with vermeer grapples , we don't carry brush more than 24 in off the ground. We have found there is a learning curve but once you learn a good operator can keep up and pass a BMG operator ! I have yet to see a BMG pick up a 36 in log 4 ft long or bigger and not have it fall out , I used one on an avant and one on a boxer so it's not hear say .

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom