Long bar on a top handle saw.

hseII

I never had an 880,always wanted one though,are they worth the money?If you had to chose would you take two sharp 660s or one sharp 880 ,like if your doing municiple job removing 6 or 8 36+ dbh hardwoods
880s are absolute pigs in Stock form.

If you aren’t going to have your saw modded & you need a large saw,

395xpw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rico

880s are absolute pigs in Stock form.

If you aren’t going to have your saw modded & you need a large saw,

395xpw.

By pig I assume you mean a dog? I have run a stock 880 a few times and always felt it was so-so at best. There is not a lot of talk about the 3120 around here but having owned 2 of them I can tell you it is simply the best big saw I have ever run. If anyone is looking for a truly big cc saw it is a no brainer with power, torque, and chain speed in spades. A true brute that will make a 60" bar ring like a freakin church bell.

southsoundtree

I love mine... It is a funny inbetweenie but when i know I will wind up needing a 20-25" bar in a tree, I will go for it after the 200t. If I just need a few more cuts up to 20" I call for the 261.

I really fucked up buying saws, if I sized them better I'd have a better range. Instead I basically have a full line up in the truck. 150, 020, 261, 361, 440.. Now looking at a 661.. Out of all those saws the one I could easily do without is the 361, not that it doesn't get its fair share of use or that I don't love it. Just it was my first saw, and it's basically a under powered lighter 440.
@evo The MS661 has a pin that blocks the full oil flow, unless you push it in, permanently. I did so for milling and running a 42" bar.

hseII

By pig I assume you mean a dog? I have run a stock 880 a few times and always felt it was so-so at best. There is not a lot of talk about the 3120 around here but having owned 2 of them I can tell you it is simply the best big saw I have ever run. If anyone is looking for a truly big cc saw it is a no brainer with power, torque, and chain speed in spades. A true brute that will make a 60" bar ring like a freakin church bell.
Yes!

There are 3 different coils for the 088/880 along with different carbs.

The 084s were more spirited out of the box but the 880s are detuned to the point they suck.

Ported they are a beast, but they should be for 123cc.

rico

Thanks hsell. That explains my lack luster impression of the 880. A 123cc saw that costs that kind of $ should not suck out of the box, don't you think?

Both of my 3120's were killer out of the box , and once broken in and the carb opened up a little they were beasts.

Serf Life

I've been going back and forth for a couple of weeks. Went to a dealer who sells both. I was hoping he would jump all over one over the other, but noooo - he was going to make me choose.

Was tempted by the original 550XP as it was on sale for $525 - and they said they'd swap out the sprocket to 3/8" .050 so I can use the other chains I have.

The Mark II was $610.

A 216CM was $580 (16" chain....have other 18" bars on a couple of Husqvarna saws, so I just want to make it impossible ot mix chains up).

I started Friday with 6 Husqvarna saws and 2 top-handle Echos. No Stihl saws.

Now I have 1 Stihl. I don't think I could have gone wrong either way. I went with the Stihl because of the power:weight ratio. The non-Mark II 550XP weighs the same as the 261 but is rated at 3.75 HP while the Mark II picks up the extra 1/4 HP, but adds a pound.

I'm convinced I couldn't have gone wrong with any of the 3. Saving $50 was very tempting, but I couldn't decide between the 2 Husqvarna models, so I didn't!
How are you liking the new saw?

ATH

How are you liking the new saw?
I've probably run between 50-75 tanks through the MS261cm (with M-tronic - computer tuned carb). Almost run through a chain (with a little usage that I've put on the second chain, we can probably call it 1 full chain).

It has run like a dream. It takes a few extra pulls to start when it is cold - not what I'd expect out of a new saw. But with the decompression valve pushed, it is very easy to pull, so not a big deal.

I had a project felling all red maple smaller than 12" DBH in a 50 acre woods. Thousands of trees - just dropped, not cleaned up. We'd switch off who was using which saw on different days or after lunch, etc... The other saws we were running were Husqvarna 359 and 455 that also run great. Both with 18" bars... On those 10-12" trees, the 359 was the best, while the MS216 and 455 cut about equal. Anything smaller, they all cut equal. However after carrying the saw for a few hours, the Stihl felt like it weighed 10 pounds less, so I'd run the 261 all day on the days it was just me. I know 1.5-2# isn't much, but it does matter!
359: rated for 3.9HP, 12.1 lbs
455: rated for 3.5HP, 13.2 lbs
261: rated for 4.0HP, 10.8 lbs (also had 16" in stead of 18" bar, so maybe a couple ounces less there too)

I haven't run a Husqvarna 550XP, so I can't say it is better or not...but I'm happy with this MS261. My one complaint (and I know I'm not the only one), is the fuel/oil caps. I'd rather just screw-on caps. Twice, I thought the oil cap was on and it wasn't. Now I know what to watch for...it is a slightly different feel when it is a "false clilck" vs. when it really locks down.

Last edited:

Marsupilaami

Hi @rico, I thought the Jonsered or Husky 90cc saws might have a bit wider power band, or peak power at a bit lower speed. I have a 2188 and was comparing it to my friend's 661.

NeSurfcaster

562xp or ms462 are the top dogs in my book when the top handle is too small. I like a full wrap so no matter what side of the tree I'm on I can make any cut I want safely. Bucket or climbin I prefer full wraps for in tree saws once top handles are too small.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom