Kids twist mod

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I would never put him in non rated stuff. Just me. Both Jesse and Macs look legit but I just am not that guy. If something went wrong I would never forgive myself. Jesse's looks a better setup though.

Njdelaney

You thinking then just girth hitch the rings then? I was thinking of feeding the rope through the "belt loops" on the Twist. I don't have the harness, so can't play around with it to figure that out yet, but open to suggestions!

Does the belt come all the way out? If so, I could feed that through the rings. Probably should use regular Ds for that so they don't bunch it up like a ring would. So if I'm gonna do that...dumb question, where can I get D rings??? Not seeing them at the "usual" suspects; gap, treestuff, sherrill, shelter, wesspur, bartlett... I'd still use the rope to let them pull against each other better.
For the price, you can buy this and cut the strap off it and use the Dees.

Reactions: ATH

Cereal_Killer

. So if I'm gonna do that...dumb question, where can I get D rings??? Not seeing them at the "usual" suspects; gap, treestuff, sherrill, shelter, wesspur, bartlett...
I mod everything, I get all my life support rated HW from paragear. They have full rated D's here
They even have a full rated bolt on D (it's expensive), maybe thay could just be added to the waist belt with no sewing / knotting needed!

ATH

So if I get D rings and feed them through the belt (still don't know if that is possible?), maybe I should use webbing instead of rope?

Technically, webbing slings are not rated for life support when girth hitched. So thinking through a couple of options:
1) overlap and see several inches. My sewing is not rated either...but I'm confident I can come close to duplicating what is on the loops - then add a couple of extra rows.
2) get a loop that I can feed a bite through each ring then go pull to the back of the saddle and hole the 2 "ends" together with a carabiner.

Last edited:

ATH

I would never put him in non rated stuff. Just me. Both Jesse and Macs look legit but I just am not that guy. If something went wrong I would never forgive myself. Jesse's looks a better setup though.
Agreed...and I'm sure their friends will end up in the harness too, so I've gotta keep it rated. Which probably means sewing is not an option.

I could use petzl Ring Open...but $15 for rings has a better ring to it than $50.

Cereal_Killer

Personally I'd sew it but I have my bad ass PFAFF sewing machine and have had my sewing tested...
In your case what about a loop of webbing with a water/beer knot then light stitching and/or castration bands to keep the HW in place at the ends?

That or as close to the size you need as can be found rabbit runner with those bolt on D's from paragear or petzl opens?

If it was yours I'd offer to do the sewing but regardless of the testing I've had done I don't think I could get over doing it for a child who can't inspect their own gear.

evo

You thinking then just girth hitch the rings then? I was thinking of feeding the rope through the "belt loops" on the Twist. I don't have the harness, so can't play around with it to figure that out yet, but open to suggestions!

Does the belt come all the way out? If so, I could feed that through the rings. Probably should use regular Ds for that so they don't bunch it up like a ring would. So if I'm gonna do that...dumb question, where can I get D rings??? Not seeing them at the "usual" suspects; gap, treestuff, sherrill, shelter, wesspur, bartlett... I'd still use the rope to let them pull against each other better.
On so I just looked this stuff up. We did NOT buy the twist but the kids basic. The waist belt does not come out.

When I did the ring dee mod to my sons rock harness the webbing just went through a tunnel around the back pad. It DID not tie into the suspension at all, and I never considered it life support.

I think I mentioned this in the past. My son was never allowed to disconnect from his climbing line, and the dees were solely used for positioning. He never left his climbing line or reanchored.

I felt comfortable with this because he was so young and only climbed with me. He’s 12 now and embarrassingly enough he hasn’t climbed much since. But if he were to climb more, he’d be ready to start moving around, advancing, etc.

evo

Agreed...and I'm sure their friends will end up in the harness too, so I've gotta keep it rated. Which probably means sewing is not an option.

I could use petzl Ring Open...but $15 for rings has a better ring to it than $50.
I got lucky, I took a loop web runner which was about the perfect size. I girthed one ring on and threw in a few stitches on the girth so it wouldn’t shake loose. I took the opposite end through the tunnel around the back pad, and was able to cinch it to get enough slack to girth and stitch the other side.
Even if it’s a little long, and floppy, that’s fine for a rec saddle. It wouldn’t b hard to make soft dees with a nylon runner and a few knots.

ATH

Sounds like I just need to buy the saddle then settle on mods when I have it in hand.

If the belt comes out, I'd use a regular D (something like this: http://www.paragear.com/skydiving/10000173/H303/ from @Cereal_Killer 's link) fed through the saddle's belt.

If it doesn't I'll just use rings.

Either way, I like the idea of using the petzl Ring Open in the back..better comfort and don't need to worry about side loading a regular carabiner.

Also, either way, the nylon loop runner will be fed through the belt loops on the harness. While the belt loops themselves are not likely life support, they are holding the existing life support belt in place, so I'd think that they will do the same for the side Ds too, right? Not expecting the kids to hang from these, like @evo said, there for positioning, while their lifeline stays tied in. Just want something to get them in the trees (safely)! Initially, I will be there the whole time...so inspection of equipment is on me, not them.

ATH

Something like this:
(rings or Ds where the ball lock biners are and a Ring Open where the non-locking one is) - fed through the belt loops. Laying flat like the first picture. Posted the second just so you can see how everything is attached. All plenty of rating for life support... Will just need to get correct length of loop sling.

20201018_144555.jpg

20201018_144632.jpg

If anybody has a Twist, can you help with 2 things:
1) Does the belt come all the way out such that I could get D rings onto it?
2) If you laid out the back pad flat, how long would that be? (so I know how long the loop sling needs to be)

difference between knowing that now vs. waiting is just one order vs. two...so not a big deal.

Thanks!

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Something like this:
(rings or Ds where the ball lock biners are and a Ring Open where the non-locking one is) - fed through the belt loops. Laying flat like the first picture. Posted the second just so you can see how everything is attached. All plenty of rating for life support... Will just need to get correct length of loop sling.

View attachment 70900

View attachment 70901

If anybody has a Twist, can you help with 2 things:
1) Does the belt come all the way out such that I could get D rings onto it?
2) If you laid out the back pad flat, how long would that be? (so I know how long the loop sling needs to be)

difference between knowing that now vs. waiting is just one order vs. two...so not a big deal.

Thanks!
You can get the belt all the way out. The back pad is 20".

ATH

great....thanks! Ordered saddle, Ring Open, Nylon loop, and the D's from the parachute store. Can't wait to get kids into a tree again!

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Yup tis fun....

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

ATH

This is the adult version. Kids is still red (according to online pics and pics on instructions that came with this one). Says down to a 27" waist, so should just fit my boys. The Singing Tree Timber 3D starts at 30" I believe...that is why I went with a modified Twist.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom