That's what happened to me last time. The first 3 eyes I did came out alright, after a lot of muscling, but the last one just came to a total halt. It sat on my bench for way too long getting a millimeter at a time, until a well-deserved abandonment.I'm putting a tight eye on the other end of my lanyard and seem to have caught some core fibers. This morning I'll pull the cover back out and try again. I was trying to do what you said above but just wasn't careful enough when the wire fid was close to coming out where the core strands exit. I got the reduced cover pulled back about halfway through the crossover and it's just not going any farther.
I'm now questioning the gauge size I mentioned. What I thought was 18 gauge is actually .051 inches (1.295 mm). A gauge guide that came with my wire says that's a 23 gauge wire size. What I thought was 17 gauge wire is actually .063 inches (1.600 mm) which the guide says is 26 gauge wire. So call me confused about wire sizes that talk about gauge. I thought it was like shotguns and house wire--the bigger the number the smaller the size. The two wire sizes I received were .051 inches and .063 inches. The .051 inch size most closely matches the "store bought" wire fid I have.It sounds like the wire used in wire fids might be music wire. It might be 17 or 18 gauge wire. Pretty inexpensive stuff, about $7 for 100-140 feet. I just ordered both sizes to see how it compares to what I have. If it seems similar, I'll make myself a fid long enough to do the 33 inch bury in one pull. As long as I'm laid up for a few more weeks it gives me something to do.
I am about 4/5 of the way through my crossover, decided to stop a few moments after noticing a decent blood blister forming on my finger... too much milking!! it's going well considering.. will give it the final push in a day or two.I got the tight eye done. It looks like everybody else's tight eye splice. I guess that means it worked. Work was the name for that one. I screwed up the process a bit but still got it done. For the crossover bury I was pulling on the wrong parts. I pulled on the wire fid and the tight eye instead of the core tail. It took me most of an hour to pull and milk it through. Duh. Then I rewatched the video after I had it done. Next time! I guess that's called learning the hard way.
Aka SUPER taper... Its now my go to for all splices and works a treatNext time add an additional foot to the bury. Reduce each of the six remaining strands of this foot by half, which will pass through the crossover easier. Once it is through it is easier to grab the tail to pull the larger diameter tail through, this is from Nick many years ago.
to make sure I am hearing correct, are you saying to cut half of the fibers out from each strand itself? I considered doing this.. but it felt kinda excessive (or the opposite.. what I have stuck in the crossover is excess. )Next time add an additional foot to the bury. Reduce each of the six remaining strands of this foot by half, which will pass through the crossover easier. Once it is through it is easier to grab the tail to pull the larger diameter tail through, this is from Nick many years ago.
Thanks. I wonder if it's worth backing up and starting again. It has shocked me how differently the splice goes with seemingly slight changes.Yes, reduce the strands not remove whole ones, that way all the strands get pulled, it isn’t lopsided making it harder to pull through.
If your bury was moving and then stops, it probably is a snagged strand.