husky 395 or stihl 660 for milling with alaskan mill?

evo

The 395 is a superior milling saw in all ways beyond the front chain tensioner. My understanding is you can drill a whole in the mill to allow adjustment of chain while it is still attached. However I have yet to do so personally as my milling has been done with two dolmars on a double ended bar. Plan on upgrading to dual 3120s or 395s some day and I will find a way as my mill is permanently mounted to my milling bar for ease of chain swaps.
Genius!

RogerM

Great feedback...looks like 395xp for milling it is... The 661 is great for work. I aged myself a bit when i said 660... I'm surprised i didn't refer to it as 066...Does stihl still make an 084? First "big" saw I ran... Do have an 090 but more for just looking at. Side note.. new thread... gonna post pics of crazy old saws soon. This cemetery is 172yrs old... I managed to tuck away some vintage saws... tree guys today have it quite a bit easier i'd say.. Thanks everyone for the tips... I do have the "winch system" and it, in my opinion, was worth every penny.

Mowerr

I just read the article in this months TCIA mag and I've been thinking about getting it, if not for me then for my father in law but if I gift it then he needs a bigger saw so idk.
The article says your saw needs to be able to run at least a 20" bar and be above 50cc which had me surprised bc I'd never imagine milling anything with a saw that small.
So for those who use this mill, what's the smallest saw you would run with it?
The author showed a pic of him using a Stihl 271! Isn't that thing pretty close to 50?
He also recommends a steel bar but said a laminated one can work and either a very sharp chain or a ripping chain. For the sake of the saw and bc the steel bar and rip chain produce a better texture on the slab.

colb

You can mill with whatever saw you want. I think @treebing mills with a tophandle on occasion. That said, my ms661 goes on hickory duty pretty often and leaves me wishing for more power, and I fully expect that my ms880 will leave me feeling the same once I use it on something besides pine.

evo

I just read the article in this months TCIA mag and I've been thinking about getting it, if not for me then for my father in law but if I gift it then he needs a bigger saw so idk.
The article says your saw needs to be able to run at least a 20" bar and be above 50cc which had me surprised bc I'd never imagine milling anything with a saw that small.
So for those who use this mill, what's the smallest saw you would run with it?
The author showed a pic of him using a Stihl 271! Isn't that thing pretty close to 50?
He also recommends a steel bar but said a laminated one can work and either a very sharp chain or a ripping chain. For the sake of the saw and bc the steel bar and rip chain produce a better texture on the slab.
I’ve used a 361 for ripping some 12-16” logs in half for some benches. Nothing I’d want to use for anything more.

Marshy

I'm partial to Husqvarna, bias out of the gate so take my advice for what it's worth but, I think the air filtration alone is worth making the decision for the 395. I also think it will stomp out the 660.

Anyways, I do a fair bit of milling and a 42' bar will allow you to mill with a 36" mill. I use a 394xp with HD filter. I will rinse the flocked filter with gasoline every so often, maybe after every second chain I put on. I use a chain grinder to keep the chain sharp and angles consistent. Use a raker gauge as needed to keep all cutters pulling their fair share.

What more do you want to know? I could probably write a book on what I think I know lol. Seriously though, ask away and I will share what I do and what I think works.

Attachments

• 123799097_3372176109562205_6831306520931111543_n.jpg
    123799097_3372176109562205_6831306520931111543_n.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 11

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom