Hobbs device

chris_girard

Harken is making the X-Rings / NOTCH rings now too. Looks like they are going to the trees now! LOL
I believe that those rings have been around in the marine industry for awhile (before David started calling them X-Rings). We "borrowed" it from them, not the other way around...I could be wrong, but ask David.

Jonny

I'm kinda surprised Harken hasn't marketed an arborist rigging block. Some of their sailing blocks look nice.

skygear

Yep. That's the trooffff!
And the jetstep foot ascender as well! They are a solid manufacturer
Correct. It was an Italian company that was rebranding and made the first 38*28 for him. Now that NOTCH/Sherrill/TreeStuff is involved, they let him stay in on the design side of things. He opted for deeper/longer shoulders from what I was reading. They also let him keep the 38*28 beast X ring labled as such instead of NOTCH.

Most of the items used in any industry are cross platform. Hell, I've used my DMM large block for mechanical advantage on vehicle recoveries.really cuts down on some of the other stuff that I carry with me on a day-to-day basis when exploring.
I believe that those rings have been around in the marine industry for awhile (before David started calling them X-Rings). We "borrowed" it from them, not the other way around...I could be wrong, but ask David.
I'm not 100% on this theory of mine, but here it is. I think Notch is taking some of the small companies, and making them offers to help with buying power and getting it to the masses. I know some of us in the industry look at them as the Walmart of the arbor industry (not necessarily a good thing) - in an instance like this I really feel it benefits the community as a whole though. I mean from his original design, we now have the thimble and safe bloc. I don't have a use for a thimble yet but I'm looking for an excuse to grab one.

skygear

I'm kinda surprised Harken hasn't marketed an arborist rigging block. Some of their sailing blocks look nice.
I have a sneaky suspicion that most of them would be cost-prohibitive. And not meant to work in the manner that we use our blocks. Can you imagine negative rigging one of those and it getting bound up on the tree. I feel the side materials are a lot thinner than most of the blocks that we use in our industry.

Now I have used some off-the-shelf blocks from West Marine for some redirects in the past. a pulley is a pulley. When the ratings are correct, and save working loads are kept within reason, yes they can be used. I must say I was sweating bullets a couple of times when some heavier than normal loads were passed through these things. They're built to be used in a specific manner. not abused like we do in the arbor industry.

Jonny

I mean I'm surprised they haven't engineered and then marketed a suitable arborist block to go along with their arborist winch on the GRCS.
Stiff competition and investment vs return is likely the answer.

You're right, sailing blocks have no business in negative rigging. Not many devices from other industry can handle those kind of forces

skygear

I mean I'm surprised they haven't engineered and then marketed a suitable arborist block to go along with their arborist winch on the GRCS.
Stiff competition and investment vs return is likely the answer.

You're right, sailing blocks have no business in negative rigging. Not many devices from other industry can handle those kind of forces
With all the time, effort, design, etc. I feel DMM & treemagineers really hit it out of the ball park with their large and small rigging blocks. I don't see a reason to invest in anything different *yet. Besides course the Rock Exotica Omni blocks with swivels.

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 10.10.07 PM.png

I cant find the 4.5" on their site right now, but everyone is selling it.

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 10.14.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 10.18.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 10.20.28 PM.png

Besides these two, I really don't see what additional innovations could be made to a pulley/ block that would prompt me to invest in something different.

For those you folks using the Omni's, make sure you realize they even put the intended use on them "Design Factor 5:1" or "Design Factor 4:1"...

Jonny

That looks pretty damn professional, well done!

Wonder if a torque multiplier would have it lifting like a GRCS.

Sloth

Good morning to all, have you never used the ATD winch and lowering device? I've used GRCS but i've changed..... since about 6 month i'm using the ATD and i'm very happy for the change.... I premise that i'm an arborist and not faller. The stopper is beautiful and the all in one winch-bollard is a must.... After 5 month i've understand that the device have a big and i've bought the second stopper for work with a second rigging rope.....(was an optinals) meanwhile the ground mans are processing the piece i can work and prepare the next piece.... so when i finish to prepare, the grounds man have finished to process the previous piece we are already ready for the next and so on. I don't remember but the WLL must be about 2.000 kilograms..... You can low with no wrap on bollard otherwise a quarter, half, three quarter, one wrap, and for every wrap you can choose quarter half or tree quarter..... The bollard is very thick and dissipate a lot the force very smooth helping a lot the ground man choosing the right wrap for the piece that are cutting. In this way is very easy to "drive" and control the fall. The stopper is very nice and helpful. I'll be happy have your opinion.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jemco

Have you guys seen that old vid of Ken Johnson purposely destroying a GRCS droppin an old wrecked Volvo suspended from a euc to find its limits, springs n hardware explodin left n right. Then does the same with a Hobb's n just bent the fairlead a little!

Nice Mod Mike!

Jemco

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom