Hitch hiker/2/x thread

Joeybagodonuts

Check out the thread titled " . " It's the original hitchhiker thread, much older, and much more info. It was retitled as . by the original poster, probably because he works for tree stuff and they don't sell the hh2 anymore. Kind of petty if you ask me.
I'll search that out for sure..

I ended up going with Rich's setup.. Although i think climbing gear is generally way overpriced... For what it's worth, i think what Rich is offering is a pretty decent deal, especially if you consider the retail of the individual counterparts.. $160 for a bare HH2.. for $188 you get an aluminum version, a couple 5 dollar rings, maybe $10-$12 of hitch cord & a quickie shackle that would cost $30+retail if you wanted to use it in your HH2.. If you apply that same logic to the $230 swivel version, your getting the swivel for $50 something..
If course this is all based on the assumption Rich's version would retail for 160 bare. The way i see it is, I'm walking away with more useable parts & a very versatile device.

A slick quickie in Albuquerque?

I wonder if there's a slick pin that will fit one of the Rock Exotica shackle swivels? Hmmm.

Yes Jeff, I'm surprised i have not seen this experimented with. Don't you have one of these kicking around? Also, isn't there two different bar stock versions of the RE shackle swivel?

I never used a swivel untill maybe a month ago when I got a cali swivel. I like the ability to attach multiple systems and un-twist with ease. Of course, a little fore thought can help to not get things twisted up, but it comes in handy sometimes.
I like these, it's too bad they weren't back to the drawing board with them, i unfortunately procrastinated too long.. I think it was related to bridge wear & some post over at instagram where some insta-arb started some net hysteria over his/her swivel naturally wearing in & possibly or having some metallic transfer to their bridge... Idk thats just what i heard from a vendor. Given its design & shape i wouldn't expect anything else to happen. All i know is it was a good alternative to running a rook & i wanted one.

Tom Lynch

Swivel rocks for tossing your tail overhead and having the system lay correct still. Rather than having to disconnect and spin the system or flake you tail over again.

I love the HH1 but have been stuck on a ZigZag / Wrench most of the season. The HH runs nicer, but never burning a hitch on the Zigzag. No matter how hard I burn it or creep on a wet rope. Is a game changer. Really interested in the HHx, a lighter body would be nice. Not having to fiddle with a pulley and tending point on a 'beaner. Or the slight change in feel as the 'beaner shifts around. I Hadden't thought about dealing with a Slick pin to redirect, seems like the only "con" of the HHx. A HHx with a Zigzag chain link thingy in place of the hitch would be the ultimate weapon IMO. Or perhaps just the slick pin / slot slide in place of the pulley and attachment point on a Zigzag.

LordFarkwad

I just started using one of these guys and noticed it was really tough to get ahold of one. Had to resort to eBay.

Hope it's nothing to worry about.

Joeybagodonuts

Swivel rocks for tossing your tail overhead and having the system lay correct still. Rather than having to disconnect and spin the system or flake you tail over again.

I love the HH1 but have been stuck on a ZigZag / Wrench most of the season. The HH runs nicer, but never burning a hitch on the Zigzag. No matter how hard I burn it or creep on a wet rope. Is a game changer. Really interested in the HHx, a lighter body would be nice. Not having to fiddle with a pulley and tending point on a 'beaner. Or the slight change in feel as the 'beaner shifts around. I Hadden't thought about dealing with a Slick pin to redirect, seems like the only "con" of the HHx. A HHx with a Zigzag chain link thingy in place of the hitch would be the ultimate weapon IMO. Or perhaps just the slick pin / slot slide in place of the pulley and attachment point on a Zigzag.

I been mucking about with my own zag wrench setup, it's kinda cool, it's nice & compact too considering how long they can be.. However, i just can't get comfortable with how the bottom swivel is constantly being loaded in a leveraged fashion (like breaking stick over knee). I look at it while working & it removes my attention from where it should be because i just don't trust it. I thought if getting the new version, but the HHX is where my $$ went.

John@TreeXP

I been mucking about with my own zag wrench setup, it's kinda cool, it's nice & compact too considering how long they can be.. However, i just can't get comfortable with how the bottom swivel is constantly being loaded in a leveraged fashion (like breaking stick over knee). I look at it while working & it removes my attention from where it should be because i just don't trust it. I thought if getting the new version, but the HHX is where my $$ went.
Especially on SRT, I think the new versions of the ZZs are more heavy duty and better suited for tree work, with or without the built-in swivel. The earlier versions just seem more rickety in comparison.

RBJtree

I ordered my cali swivel from Gap. They told me it was out of stock untill the redesign was done and the new version released and they would send it when it came in. A week or two later one came in the mail. I don't know if its the redesign or not. Perhaps not.... since I got a bucket truck I don't climb every day, but it shows no signs of wear yet. It's only been a couple months.

LordFarkwad

I ordered my cali swivel from Gap. They told me it was out of stock untill the redesign was done and the new version released and they would send it when it came in. A week or two later one came in the mail. I don't know if its the redesign or not. Perhaps not.... since I got a bucket truck I don't climb every day, but it shows no signs of wear yet. It's only been a couple months.

Can you take a picture and post?

I wonder if I need to discontinue use of mine.

RBJtree

Can you take a picture and post?

I wonder if I need to discontinue use of mine.
Sure I will get a picture.
My understanding is, the "fault" in the original was that the hard coat would wear off where the bridge rubs it. There is or was an advisory pdf about it on treestuff in the details of the cali. If the hard coat is not worn off, i think there is no problem. I have never heard of a failure, but that doesn't mean one didn't happen. The redesign doesn't mean a failure did happen either, it just means cmi is doing their best to not have one. If the redesign is just a reformulation of the hard coat or application process, it might not be a visible difference. I actually don't know why it would matter if the hard coat wears off unless it made a sharp edge. If the metal wore more than 20 or 30 percent, I could see being concerned, but those things are thick! Half of that swivel is thicker than most rings. And its rated for what, 40kn? I'm going to see if I can find anything else out about it too.

LordFarkwad

I found no reports of failure, but I still don't claim authority. Here is the tech notice from cmi. View attachment 61925

Thanks for doing the leg work, RBJ. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. Seriously doubt I've used mine enough at this point anyway to see wear, but I'll check it out tomorrow morning.

I liked the friction at the bridge this thing offered, but I guess the issue highlighted above is part of the advantage of a pulley.

May have to try out one of them DMM swivels (Axis). But man, I like the separate holes of the Cali/Rook/etc.

Last edited:

Jonny

I’d climb on those worn ones all day probably, that doesn’t look like much wear at all. Maybe I’m missing something looking through my little phone.
Still, good on CMI for being perfectionists.

Cali is on my wishlist. I got a couple Rooks, and like them, but glides a little too well sometimes.

Banyan man

Hi guys. This is not my idea but saw it on Instagram. I tried it SRT and worked pretty well. I use a large petzl swivel so it extends the system a little but the tending was pretty smooth

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom