Hitch hiker/2/x thread

Jonny

I wish I could buy a tree-quickie that fits around the rivets on the side plates of the HH2 and I wish the HHx was as compact as the HH2.
My Notch V3 quickie fits and the edges slide right over the screws when it needs to. It’s not super easy getting the quickie back off though. Gotta use the body of the HH to release the slic pin, you’ll see what I mean if you try it. Played with it a little and I much prefer the steel oval biner.

1F46FCBB-C8B4-4FF1-B9F1-305AE403C712.jpeg
B9C7CF0A-6A82-41C0-92CD-B646E9254F72.jpeg

Jonny

Also, mine has screws, not rivets.
@rustykfd did a little mod on his, he took out the 4 lower screws, countersunk the holes a teensy bit and put machine screws in it that seat flush with the body so he could use a bow shackle. It has to be easier than fighting the slick pin.
Pic is his from when he sold it, maybe he’ll see this and comment how it worked for him.
A5BCF952-6EE8-4DF8-930A-7FF8B498A2B2.jpeg

John@TreeXP

Using the HH2, plastic holster and SingTree's cast Quickie... Nice and more compact than either the HHx or the HH2 with the oval carabiner... Woo hoo! Just not as fast a setup and removal as it is with the oval carabiner, or other multicenders. Moreover, the slic pin acts like a pulley and if you don't use the plastic holster it blows the whole deal.
69115163_490514538403031_5976780157292118016_n.jpg

Last edited:

RBJtree

Using the HH2, plastic holster and a Sherrill Quickie... Nice and more compact than either the HHx or the HH2 with the oval carabiner... Woo hoo! Just not as fast a setup and removal as it is with the oval carabiner, or other multicenders. Moreover, the slic pin acts like a pulley and if you don't use the plastic holster it blows the whole deal.
View attachment 61844
Can you measure the diameter of the quickie pin?

John@TreeXP

According to my calculation, I measured the pin's diameter at 1 centimeter, or 0.393701 inches. This includes the pin's beveled edge. The other specs below are from the seller's web page (https://www.sherrilltree.com/cast-singing-tree-quickie).

I see now that this (Singing Tree Cast) Quickie is different than the Notch Quickie V3, but the advertised specs are almost identical except for the Notch's weaker Minor axis. The two pin's diameters are different and I don't have both to compare, but they are both 2.5" long.

Major Axis: 30kN,
Minor Axis: 15kN (Notch Quickie V3 13kN)
Length: 2.25"
Width (no slic pin): 1.5"
New Slic Pin Length: 2.5"
Sideplate Width: .875

Last edited:

RBJtree

Cool thanks! Richard ( climbing innovations) did a video where he measures his slick pin diameter as 9.xxx mm. So that tells me his quickie will fit the slot in the least. I could just measure the slot in my hh2, but my calipers are at my shop and I won't be there till monday. I wonder where Richard gets his quickies? Could they be the same? Even if they are, I'd buy them from Richard before Sherrilstuff.

RBJtree

Climbing innovation quickie measurments from Richards video:
Slick pin diameter : 9.9 mm
Slick pin length from shoulder to first tab : 45 mm
Shackle overall length : 75mm
Shackle overall width : 38 mm
Shackle internal width not given, but it fits the hhx body pretty close and the body measures 25 mm wide. I am guessing the shackle to be at least 26 mm internal width but likely 27 or more.
So the CI shackle is considerably longer than the sherrill and double the length of the singing tree. For this application, I think that is good.
When I get back to my shop, I can measure the outside width of the hh2 and hopefully find out if the CI quickie will fit without installing counter sunk flat top screws.

John@TreeXP

Cool thanks! Richard ( climbing innovations) did a video where he measures his slick pin diameter as 9.xxx mm. So that tells me his quickie will fit the slot in the least. I could just measure the slot in my hh2, but my calipers are at my shop and I won't be there till monday. I wonder where Richard gets his quickies? Could they be the same? Even if they are, I'd buy them from Richard before Sherrilstuff.
My calculations are taken from a cheap measuring tape with some margin of error. I bet Richard's measurement is probably the same as it is on mine. I also doubt that Richard manufacturers his pins and quickies, versus just getting them in bulk from whoever manufacturers and sells them to retail distributors. If there are shorter and longer Quickies as mentioned above, I wish they'd come up with specific variations to serve specific uses, including an ultralight one for Rope Runners.

Last edited:

Joeybagodonuts

Oh wow.. very informative.. I'm glad i came across this thread. I literally almost bought one last night thinking the X & the 2 were basically the same thing.. i had always assumed the X was a 2, just setup to how he personally favors using it.. i now see that Richards is different in a few ways..

Back when i started climbing, i had always just glazed over the HH when reading about it, it wasn't until recently that i realized it's true versatility.. Also, unless the situation dictates otherwise, I always find myself trying to decide whether to go hitchcord or mechanical.. I love flying on cord, but you can't beat mechanical tending (personal opinion)..

I think the versatility of one of these two is going to amaze me & will be that happy medium I'm always looking for between hitch & mechanical. I also feel as if it is free of the other caveats associated with most other multicending devices i have had.. Midline (ZZ), Tends easy (Uni), Pretty compact (RW)..

LordFarkwad

I'd be mega impressed if you could crack a HH or HH2.

Never broken an HH, but I have broken the holster with some over-exuberant and geometrically-unsound tending though :oops: (from shoulder-tender)

After using the Rope Runner a little bit, I can definitely appreciate this about the HH. I'm not saying it's weaker than the RR, as I have nothing but intuition to base this on since I've never broken or even damaged either, but after using the RR and having to pay special attention to bending it over small limbs, etc., the HH truly seems bomb proof.

RBJtree

Oh wow.. very informative.. I'm glad i came across this thread. I literally almost bought one last night thinking the X & the 2 were basically the same thing.. i had always assumed the X was a 2, just setup to how he personally favors using it.. i now see that Richards is different in a few ways..

Back when i started climbing, i had always just glazed over the HH when reading about it, it wasn't until recently that i realized it's true versatility.. Also, unless the situation dictates otherwise, I always find myself trying to decide whether to go hitchcord or mechanical.. I love flying on cord, but you can't beat mechanical tending (personal opinion)..

I think the versatility of one of these two is going to amaze me & will be that happy medium I'm always looking for between hitch & mechanical. I also feel as if it is free of the other caveats associated with most other multicending devices i have had.. Midline (ZZ), Tends easy (Uni), Pretty compact (RW)..
Check out the thread titled " . " It's the original hitchhiker thread, much older, and much more info. It was retitled as . by the original poster, probably because he works for tree stuff and they don't sell the hh2 anymore. Kind of petty if you ask me.

John@TreeXP

Using the HH2, plastic holster and SingTree's cast Quickie... Nice and more compact than either the HHx or the HH2 with the oval carabiner... Woo hoo! Just not as fast a setup and removal as it is with the oval carabiner, or other multicenders. Moreover, the slic pin acts like a pulley and if you don't use the plastic holster it blows the whole deal.
View attachment 61844
I suppose you could combine a quickie and a swivel into a swiveling-quickie and that would refine this setup even more...

69156187_675476916283209_7410079691077320704_n.jpg

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom