Fu*%face Von Clownstick

climbingmonkey24

I heard in the news of some jackass who went to a restaurant and tipped the waitress just 5 cents with a note to do away with the masks and she will make more in tips. Like wtf?

First off the masks and social distancing policies are in place for both the safety of customers and workers. Also, she's just following the rules and trying to do the right thing.

evo

Ok so this PDX thing is something I’m very passionate about. I know first hand what it’s like to be part of a peaceful protest, have the cops show up in absolute force and declare it illegal. Many times stating “this is a unpermited protest, disperse immediately or we will use force”. This is in blatant disregard to constitutional rights. Typically, what follows is a few more warnings, then the police do a soft opening. A little pepper spray, a little pushing. I don’t know how many of you have been hit with any of the less lethals, but I have many times. It’s like chemically getting punched in the face, it invokes a response. Shit gets thrown, things get smashed, cops then play the oh the violent protestor card. The fucken protest likely didn’t see any violence until the cops started the beat down.
Now inter the current situation, police brutality protests ALWAYS have the most violent reactions by the police (first hand historical account). All of this is exactly the wrong response. They haven’t figured this out yet?

Bucknut

It’s acceptable in the same way I accept that the sun will rise tomorrow in the East. Can’t do a damn thing to stop it. At least if you want a functioning society/economy. A true lockdown, besides being wildly unconstitutional, would cause more devastation than the virus. And when it’s lifted the virus would roar right back since I assume it will still be racist to ban international flights from arriving here.

TC

Ok so this PDX thing is something I’m very passionate about. I know first hand what it’s like to be part of a peaceful protest, have the cops show up in absolute force and declare it illegal. Many times stating “this is a unpermited protest, disperse immediately or we will use force”. This is in blatant disregard to constitutional rights. Typically, what follows is a few more warnings, then the police do a soft opening. A little pepper spray, a little pushing. I don’t know how many of you have been hit with any of the less lethals, but I have many times. It’s like chemically getting punched in the face, it invokes a response. Shit gets thrown, things get smashed, cops then play the oh the violent protestor card. The fucken protest likely didn’t see any violence until the cops started the beat down.
Now inter the current situation, police brutality protests ALWAYS have the most violent reactions by the police (first hand historical account). All of this is exactly the wrong response. They haven’t figured this out yet?
Portland = Bourgoise Anarchy...useless college degree in the arts or social sciences, take job as a barista. Angry at your student loan debt, attend 'anti establishment' protest, shout token leftist slogans, repeat back neo Marxist system values you were indoctrinated with in college to fellow attendees, throw missiles at working/middle class policemen. Fleeting dopamine hit.

Well done.

climbingmonkey24

It’s acceptable in the same way I accept that the sun will rise tomorrow in the East. Can’t do a damn thing to stop it. At least if you want a functioning society/economy. A true lockdown, besides being wildly unconstitutional, would cause more devastation than the virus. And when it’s lifted the virus would roar right back since I assume it will still be racist to ban international flights from arriving here.
A proper lockdown in the beginning, not a half assed one where it’s every state for itself, would’ve probably helped flatten the curve and bring the cases down.

It’s already worked in other places.

And people don’t realize the economy is being more damaged due to the prolonging of this crisis from lack of proper handling of it and people not doing their part.

Ban international flights? We are the ones that are now being banned from certain areas because of how bad it is. Other areas have got it somewhat under control to the point that they are resuming some sense of normalcy.

You hear on the news how a certain area had 50 or 100 cases and they tighten restrictions, we have 70,000+ cases and it’s basically like “oh well.”

evo

Portland = Bourgoise Anarchy...useless college degree in the arts or social sciences, take job as a barista. Angry at your student loan debt, attend 'anti establishment' protest, shout token leftist slogans, repeat back neo Marxist system values you were indoctrinated with in college to fellow attendees, throw missiles at working/middle class policemen. Fleeting dopamine hit.

Well done.

Ha! Sounds like you know all everything you need to know about it.

TC

Ha! Sounds like you know all everything you need to know about it.
I do.

This from Seattle is very similar to the struggle sessions during Mao's cultural revolution and it's deeply disturbing. This is the toxic ideology of the Portland protestors and their handlers. Public humiliation until you admit your phantom racism.

It's absolutely despicable. This kind of sinister activity by local authorities eventually leads to very dark places indeed.

EehoiuPXgAATZZ5.jpg

li-zhensheng.jpg

Bucknut

A proper lockdown in the beginning, not a half assed one where it’s every state for itself, would’ve probably helped flatten the curve and bring the cases down
A proper lockdown, like the awesome ones in China? I agree. I’ve always found top down, oppressive, full on authoritarian, “do it or we’ll shoot you in the face” style lockdowns to be the most effective. Liberty and Constitution be damned.

“Live free or die” still has some meaning to some Americans. Which is why your “proper lockdown” will never work in this country.

I’ll reiterate: deaths stand at 5/100ths of 1% of population. The VAST majority of those are elderly with comorbidity.

Lock yourself down if you want. I’m going to work.

climbingmonkey24

A proper lockdown, like the awesome ones in China? I agree. I’ve always found top down, oppressive, full on authoritarian, “do it or we’ll shoot you in the face” style lockdowns to be the most effective. Liberty and Constitution be damned.

“Live free or die” still has some meaning to some Americans. Which is why your “proper lockdown” will never work in this country.

I’ll reiterate: deaths stand at 5/100ths of 1% of population. The VAST majority of those are elderly with comorbidity.

Lock yourself down if you want. I’m going to work.
You don't even listen to what people say do you?

I never said anything about being oppressive, etc. This isn't about sacrificing freedom. Your freedom isn't being sacrificed because you have to social distance and wear masks in public or can't go into certain public places / buildings. Those are PRIVILEGES not rights. When I say proper "lockdown" I mean having an actual plan where everyone works together and not some half ass one where some take precautions and take it seriously and others don't.

Times of national crisis, like a threat to public health are extraordinary circumstances, it's not the same situation as everyday life.

I go to work to. And we incorporate social distancing into our operations, and we wear masks.

It's about doing what you have to do not only to protect yourself but others as well.

And you are misinformed if you think the vast majority of the deaths and those with serious illness are elderly people and those with prior health conditions. Young and otherwise healthy people have gotten seriously ill and some now have lasting health problems because of this virus, and some have died. As well as teenagers, kids, and babies.

I cannot comprehend why people want to act ignorant to this virus and downplay its severity?

Last edited:

Bucknut

If you think it's a privilege to leave my house without wearing a mask, I guess we have different understandings of the word.

And you are misinformed if you think the vast majority of the deaths and those with serious illness are elderly people and those with prior health conditions. Young and otherwise healthy people have gotten seriously ill and some now have lasting health problems because of this virus, and some have died. As well as teenagers, kids, and babies.
I am many things, but "misinformed" is rarely one of them. This from the CDC (even though we hate them now because Trump):

05D0586B-A2A4-4332-B14B-18BC7E1E9595.png

So....... total U.S. Covid deaths of those aged under 15: 45
total U.S. Covid deaths of those aged 65+ : 113,210

You starting to see a pattern here? Are there examples of kids dying of Covid? Yep. 45 of them. But don't act like this disease affects them proportionally or even seriously. The flu killed 105 kids under 15 in the same time period.

So yeah- The VAST majority of deaths are elderly.

climbingmonkey24

It is not just about whether a young person, or teenager, or child gets seriously ill or dies it’s also the fact that they could pass the virus on to someone who could get seriously ill or die!

The schools that have recently reopened have already had multiple outbreaks.

And it’s a privelage to go into a bar, a grocery store, a gym, travel on a plane, go out to eat, etc. Those aren’t rights. When you go on property or inside property that doesn’t belong to you, you have to follow the rules. If a business requires you to wear a mask, then you wear the mask.

The mask and social distancing is to not only protect you but other people! Is it that big of a deal to wear it?

Are you that inconvenienced that you can’t do something that could potentially save the life of someone else?

Special circumstances call for special precautions. Get over yourself. Your rights aren’t being violated.

The people that are fighting the Covid-19 precautions and ignoring them are only fueling the surge and prolonging the length that we are in this situation.

It’s very simple:

If you want things to get back to a sense of normalcy and restrictions to be lessened, do what you’re supposed to do so we can get it under control.

Last edited:

evo

I do.

This from Seattle is very similar to the struggle sessions during Mao's cultural revolution and it's deeply disturbing. This is the toxic ideology of the Portland protestors and their handlers. Public humiliation until you admit your phantom racism.

It's absolutely despicable. This kind of sinister activity by local authorities eventually leads to very dark places indeed.

View attachment 69656

View attachment 69657
Where are you from TC? I have deep roots in pootown and live a stones throw from Seattle.

evo

It is not just about whether a young person, or teenager, or child gets seriously ill or dies it’s also the fact that they could pass the virus on to someone who could get seriously ill or die!

The schools that have recently reopened have already had multiple outbreaks.

And it’s a privelage to go into a bar, a grocery store, a gym, travel on a plane, go out to eat, etc. Those aren’t rights. When you go on property or inside property that doesn’t belong to you, you have to follow the rules. If a business requires you to wear a mask, then you wear the mask.

The mask and social distancing is to not only protect you but other people! Is it that big of a deal to wear it?

Are you that inconvenienced that you can’t do something that could potentially save the life of someone else?

Special circumstances call for special precautions. Get over yourself. Your rights aren’t being violated.

The people that are fighting the Covid-19 precautions and ignoring them are only fueling the surge and prolonging the length that we are in this situation.

It’s very simple:

If you want things to get back to a sense of normalcy and restrictions to be lessened, do what you’re supposed to do so we can get it under control.
I kinda view it like sex. Would I screw just anyone? If I had to screw everyone I come in contact with I’d certainly insist on using as much ppe as I can.
So @Bucknut if we had to screw each other and there was no other choice wouldn’t you want to be protected? I mean I’ve been in some interesting places..

Bucknut

@evo, although I don’t believe I share your worldview, I really do appreciate it! You have a way with words that gives me a glimpse into your personality. (I think)

Bucknut

Aw man, now you’re just moving the goalposts. Cuz before you clearly said that I was the one who was misinformed....

Look, I get it. I wear a mask in stores. I have an (unlicensed) Ohio State mask and a tree themed mask. I choose based on my mood, my shirt color and the likelihood of there actually being a college football season.:confused:

My school district polled parents. Overwhelmingly they said send the kids to school full time. So that’s the plan for now. I doubt it will last but we’ll see. I know my kids suffered academically and socially with “online learning”. I’m not worried even a little bit about them bringing the virus home. It’s unavoidable. May have already happened. We literally don’t care.

The wife works in crowded public building full of “essential” employees and has every day since this started. The building houses a jail. Enough said. We just keep going to work, following the rules and living as normally as our overlords (many of whom are unelected) will permit. Doesn’t mean we have to be happy about it, right?

evo

@evo, although I don’t believe I share your worldview, I really do appreciate it! You have a way with words that gives me a glimpse into your personality. (I think)
Same here. The way I look at it is simply what does it hurt? I have a friend who just got back from China before this crap blew up, she is a ex human rights lawyer with the UN. I truly value her perspective, and while she has much to say about communist China. She also mentioned that the people in general operate as the “we” while Americans operate under the “I”.
There it is! Every damn country that the individual perspective is widely under the “we” has this shit under control, while the rebellious nature of us is operating under the “I”. So wanna swap spit? Or rather just chat from a few feet away without sucking each others juices?

Bucknut

She also mentioned that the people in general operate as the “we” while Americans operate under the “I”.
There it is!
I think you and your friend are right about that. No question a collective mentality would help in a situation like we're in. But don't underestimate the compassion and decency of the average American, even the ones who champion the "I". Like I said above, I don't love the rules but I follow them. My wife has sewn dozens (maybe more?) of masks for kids and charities, especially in the beginning when they were in short supply. And often actions taken in furtherance of the "I" wind up benefitting the "we". In other words Americans are at heart generous and caring, and doing good for others is often doing good for "me".

• Love
Reactions: evo

cerviarborist

Very stable member
I've been listening to this series of podcasts. I find that Dr Reisner espouses a much more complex and in depth perspective on why Trump succeeds in mobilizing hatred and division for his own ends, and how we as individual citizens can better withstand the onslaught of lies and outright cruelty, and make safe and sane decisions regarding our responses. There are only six podcasts in the series, they're all about a half hour in duration or less. I strongly recommend listening to them in order from oldest to newest. http://madnesspodcast.com

cerviarborist

Very stable member
Same here. The way I look at it is simply what does it hurt? I have a friend who just got back from China before this crap blew up, she is a ex human rights lawyer with the UN. I truly value her perspective, and while she has much to say about communist China. She also mentioned that the people in general operate as the “we” while Americans operate under the “I”.
There it is! Every damn country that the individual perspective is widely under the “we” has this shit under control, while the rebellious nature of us is operating under the “I”. So wanna swap spit? Or rather just chat from a few feet away without sucking each others juices?
"DAMMIT, if I have to wear a mask, I can't feel the virus."

• Haha
Reactions: evo

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom