First chipper...decisions

Merle Nelson

Nice looking chipper. The fully adjustable chute and discharge directional slots are so useful and labor saving to me that I think they should be on most chippers.

Would you tell us one thing? How is the chip throwing power on that when the chute is not oriented forward? I had heard that the drum chippers were only really forceful in the forward direction.

DTS

Nice looking chipper. The fully adjustable chute and discharge directional slots are so useful and labor saving to me that I think they should be on most chippers.

Would you tell us one thing? How is the chip throwing power on that when the chute is not oriented forward? I had heard that the drum chippers were only really forceful in the forward direction.
Chips fine not as far as a disk chipper though.

DTS

@DTS What were you quoted for that chipper? I was just quoted $48,500 for the 145hp 12xp with all the options. It seems kinda high.
I paid $41,451.00 and they threw in a spare winch rope and set of blades. I did receive a quote from another dealer for same spec chipper and it was $45k and the 145hp would add about another 3k so they aren’t far off.

NashvilleTN

I paid $41,451.00 and they threw in a spare winch rope and set of blades. I did receive a quote from another dealer for same spec chipper and it was $45k and the 145hp would add about another 3k so they aren’t far off.
Do you think the 145hp is overkill? This is going to be my only chipper. My main concern is fuel usage but the 89hp might not keep up. I was quoted $68,000 for the 18xp 165hp gas with all the options but it’s probably too heavy for my 7.3 f550 with 20 yard box. I don’t want to tear that truck up. 5500lbs vs 9500lbs...

DTS

I demoed both the 145hp and 89hp and went with the 89hp it kept up with all sorts of hard and dead wood I put in it and ran strong. I really didn’t think you would need the 145hp. I also really like the fuel saver on the new engines works well especially on long drags. I have a 1590xp that is around 10k and man it’s nice not towing that thing around when you don’t need to. We also have 2 f550 chip trucks so when loaded fully loaded the 12xp is a dream to tow lol.

We went with the Carlton's 1712 diesel. We don't know what to do with ourselves. I've been hauling brush for 7 years.
The engine is basically tier 3, so I'm happy with that. The winch saves so much labor. I'll post pictures later

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

treeandland

I just purchased a Bandit with a gas engine. I like it so far. Its the first chipper I have owned that was not diesel.

I think that the new diesels are too complicated and not worth the extra cost unless you need a whole tree chipper.
Are you happy with the power and chipping speed of your new Bandit? I am considering buying a Bandit and am wondering if people are happy with the gas engine models.

MA Arborist

Are you happy with the power and chipping speed of your new Bandit? I am considering buying a Bandit and am wondering if people are happy with the gas engine models.
Yes I am very happy with the gas engine

I was a little skeptical of the gas at first because I had always run diesel in the past.

I feel very comfortable with the gas engine now that we are past the 100 hr Mark.
It eats more fuel than my diesel but that hasn’t caused a problem.

Lots of power and fast recovery time. Chips big wood no problem

Merle Nelson

I heard a salesman drop into his pitch that he liked the big gas engines because they reminded him of a muscle car. Just walking by one it looked like it might be running a straight exhaust pipe. Are the loud?

Treetopflyer

Yes I am very happy with the gas engine

I was a little skeptical of the gas at first because I had always run diesel in the past.

I feel very comfortable with the gas engine now that we are past the 100 hr Mark.
It eats more fuel than my diesel but that hasn’t caused a problem.

Lots of power and fast recovery time. Chips big wood no problem
How many hours now , are you still impressed with it ,any issues ?

MA Arborist

How many hours now , are you still impressed with it ,any issues ?
Got just over 300 hours now. We like this machine a lot. The extra fuel that the gas engine burns is not a problem. It eats up material very fast and has very good recovery.

It’s also nice to not have to plug in the engine in cold weather. It just starts right up and warms up fast.

The only major issue we had was the failure of the computer panel at just under 30 hours.
No issues since it has been replaced but I still don’t trust it.

BooRad

I demo'd an 15xpc. Liked the low weight of xpc. Ran less then 2 minutes with 14" diameter limb going thru. Stopped and done.
The issue - threw more chips back then a stump grinder. Definitely unsafe and not practical. Drum is smaller diameter then regular 15XP and set a bit different.

Engineering fault I would say, tell me different bandit. Positively unsafe.

Never seen this before. Assume regular 15xp would be fine.

Demo the XPC before purchase and load large diameter.

Anyway, getting more hours on my 250XP. Pre emmison Cummins and 1800 hours, never an issue.

hseII

We went with the Carlton's 1712 diesel. We don't know what to do with ourselves. I've been hauling brush for 7 years.
The engine is basically tier 3, so I'm happy with that. The winch saves so much labor. I'll post pictures later

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
What’s your impression of the 1712 now?

Oroboros

We are buying our first chipper and we are looking at Carlton's line of 12 inch models with a winch. The hard part right now is deciding on gas or diesel. Can anyone help with observations on modern Diesel's and their reliability in comparison to the cheaper gas option?
It seems to be consensus that the gas option is a good one.
Buy a low hour Morbark that has been run by the owner.
Look at the price of this thing !!

Don’t let the age bother you. Replace parts . So what . Just make sure the major components are good.
like PC said a new machine will break down too.