First chipper...decisions

We are buying our first chipper and we are looking at Carlton's line of 12 inch models with a winch. The hard part right now is deciding on gas or diesel. Can anyone help with observations on modern Diesel's and their reliability in comparison to the cheaper gas option?
It seems to be consensus that the gas option is a good one.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
There have been a few gas/diesel threads lately. They’re easy to find in the archives

If it were me I’d get gas

Merle Nelson

Did I see Carlton chippers listed as problem children by one or many? I would google, "problems with....."

I could be wrong.

Z'sTrees

Carltons seem very heavily built, and in turn are pretty heavy compared to other manufacturers. The only real complaint I have is the 17.5" rims, the only tire options are pizza cutters and are really hard on soft surfaces.
As far as gas vs diesel. The new diesels are kind of impressive and I'm sure you can get better fuel efficiency out of them. That said, you can buy a whole lot of gas for the price difference if buying new. Not to mention gas (at least around here) is almost a buck cheaper a gallon.

MA Arborist

We are buying our first chipper and we are looking at Carlton's line of 12 inch models with a winch. The hard part right now is deciding on gas or diesel. Can anyone help with observations on modern Diesel's and their reliability in comparison to the cheaper gas option?
It seems to be consensus that the gas option is a good one.
I just purchased a Bandit with a gas engine. I like it so far. Its the first chipper I have owned that was not diesel.

I think that the new diesels are too complicated and not worth the extra cost unless you need a whole tree chipper.

Merle Nelson

PC!!!!!!

What chippers do you think a person could buy used if they were going for machine fed and 18 inch capacity or more? I know you love the Conehead - I'm not that big on wrenching a huge amount.

(Sorry for the momentary derail.)

pctree

One of the best chippers I ever had for reliability ,simplicity and performance was a morbark model 17 with a 120HP john deere.
Might be hard to find one now as they are from the 90s but I loved that chipper

Gorman

We have heard it is hard to find a decent used chipper
I will attest to this statement. We bought a woodsman 15x a year ago because the guy only put 200 hours on it. Autofeed never worked properly on big tops and we never figured out why until we discovers the shaft seal leaking in the driver side drive motor for the feed wheel. We took it apart and realized that the seal leaked and autofeed never was 100% because the previous owner sheared off the key for the passenger side drive motor. The chipper was only had one working motor.
5k and 10 days later it’s working properly. It would be unreasonable to know that the motor was busted when I bought the thing. You just don’t know with used equipment and it’s always a dice throw.

pctree

So the chopper only had 200 hours. How had the previous owner sheared off the key? By chipping brush? Imo this was basically a new chipped, from talking with people that buy new it seems their Shit breaks down same as mine and most the time its not covered by warrantee. When buying used do your homework and find a well regarded model with a good motor. It is all a roll of the dice just seems to me the stakes are higher buying new.

After 32 years in the business I feel good that I have a backup for every piece of equipment other than my crane. All old and paid for

DTS

Having a lg diesel Bandit chipper I’m also looking at getting a smaller 12’ chipper for small jobs and for a spare chipper. I’ve always been a bandit fan and have had excellent luck with them I did have 96761C8D-ACE2-4214-B47B-AAFD47BBD00C.jpeg 808FA98D-52C9-4A97-AC39-A0015B744B88.jpeg 5B7382EC-504E-4061-8A5E-293FBFFA2EAB.jpeg one Vermeer pos. Never owned or tried a Carlton or morbark chipper. Since both morbark and bandit dealers are both an hour away I decided to demo both Thur I demoed the morbark m12r which is the new 14-15 had a gas Gm 145hp engine ran it 10 minutes and brought it back enough said on that. Friday I demoed a bandit 12xp with a gas Gm 89hp engine for a little machine it’s awesome and the gas motor ran strong going to use it this week and probably buy it. The morbark was horribly loud the bandit has a new baffle which is super quiet. For the insane up charge on a Diesel engine I’m going with a gas engine. I’d definitely give the bandit 12xp or 12xpc a look at and demo. 411713F7-2844-4417-86A7-E5BDDCC81FE7.jpeg

Gorman

So the chopper only had 200 hours. How had the previous owner sheared off the key? By chipping brush? Imo this was basically a new chipped, from talking with people that buy new it seems their Shit breaks down same as mine and most the time its not covered by warrantee. When buying used do your homework and find a well regarded model with a good motor. It is all a roll of the dice just seems to me the stakes are higher buying new.

After 32 years in the business I feel good that I have a backup for every piece of equipment other than my crane. All old and paid for
He probably did this by forcefeeding it with an excavator.

hseII

Having a lg diesel Bandit chipper I’m also looking at getting a smaller 12’ chipper for small jobs and for a spare chipper. I’ve always been a bandit fan and have had excellent luck with them I did have View attachment 58380 View attachment 58381 View attachment 58382 one Vermeer pos. Never owned or tried a Carlton or morbark chipper. Since both morbark and bandit dealers are both an hour away I decided to demo both Thur I demoed the morbark m12r which is the new 14-15 had a gas Gm 145hp engine ran it 10 minutes and brought it back enough said on that. Friday I demoed a bandit 12xp with a gas Gm 89hp engine for a little machine it’s awesome and the gas motor ran strong going to use it this week and probably buy it. The morbark was horribly loud the bandit has a new baffle which is super quiet. For the insane up charge on a Diesel engine I’m going with a gas engine. I’d definitely give the bandit 12xp or 12xpc a look at and demo. View attachment 58383
What’s the difference between a xp & xpc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DTS

Xpc has lighter frame for less overall weight and shoot Is fixed height no adjustment, 1 engine option no winch or any other special options. Xp can get any available options and is heavier built. I bought the one I’ve been demoing today great chipper. Both have the same infeed throat of 14”x17”.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom