Driving auger bits?

colb

I would think yes it would shear the bit.
I did a bit of gray literature research and it seems they can shear the bit, they may be slower, and may be less accurate. I'm not convinced that accuracy is at a premium with the organic nature of our installs. Speed could be, depending on how much slower an impact would be. Shearing a $500 bit would suck, so that's a nope for me.

colb

I would think so also, although I have seen a series of auger bits sold at a local tool store that is advertised as being made specifically for these impact guns, so maybe those bits hold up better.
I doubt they have ship auger bits over 3 feet long...

Reach

I doubt they have ship auger bits over 3 feet long...
Correct, they only sell up to a 30” impact rated bit. However, such a bit does exist that is designed to take the pounding of an impact gun, as long as you’re not drilling through something more than 30” diameter.

Edited to clarify the bit is 30”, not 30’ long!

colb

Correct, they only sell up to a 30” impact rated bit. However, such a bit does exist that is designed to take the pounding of an impact gun, as long as you’re not drilling through something more than 30” diameter.

Edited to clarify the bit is 30”, not 30’ long!
If the impact driver has a legit place in the workflow I'd like to know. For now, I'm not seeing it. I would never have an opportunity to use a 30" bit for bracing rod installations unless I was grafting two branches together. No one ever requests supplemental support for ornamental trees, which is where it seems like a short bit would work. I don't do non-through bolting, even though it is part of the ANSI standard, so all my drilling is pretty long. My shortest bit is a 2 footer that is used for establishing a hole for my 15 footer. My shortest bit for getting all the way through a tree is just under 6 feet long. I wouldn't buy an impact gun just to start holes for my superhawg.

Reach

If the impact driver has a legit place in the workflow I'd like to know. For now, I'm not seeing it. I would never have an opportunity to use a 30" bit for bracing rod installations unless I was grafting two branches together. No one ever requests supplemental support for ornamental trees, which is where it seems like a short bit would work. I don't do non-through bolting, even though it is part of the ANSI standard, so all my drilling is pretty long. My shortest bit is a 2 footer that is used for establishing a hole for my 15 footer. My shortest bit for getting all the way through a tree is just under 6 feet long. I wouldn't buy an impact gun just to start holes for my superhawg.
We don’t do much bracing rod installation around here; if we do it we are usually bolting together a beloved Bradford Pear, so 30” is more than long enough, although we drill with a big right angle drill, not an impact gun. Typically on bigger trees we are cabling, and have never cabled limbs a 30” bit won’t reach through.

I can understand your perspective though, with what you’re doing. For us, that impact gun would work, and would make it possible to drill a hole abandon tighten the nut on the eye bolt with the same tool. We don’t do that much cabling though, so we wont likely buy one of those any time soon.

colb

I wouldn't brace a Bradford out of shear principal. Just a horrible tree . But But the flowers are so nice! No just no.
I'm trying to get a 30 ft. tall one out of the woods by pruning out the most acute crotches. I have no idea if I'm going to succeed or if I'm going to kill it trying, but I just finished a second prune after leaving it alone for 2-3 years after the first prune... Looks a little thin, but the structure looks a bit less unacceptable...

Reach

I wouldn't brace a Bradford out of shear principal. Just a horrible tree . But But the flowers are so nice! No just no.
I wouldn’t normally either, but if one of our customers wants to pay us to try to keep one of those pests together, we will sure put the effort into it!

Figanko

Travel can be quite costly when you think about it. Most of the time I have financial trouble with rental agencies. Renting a car is rarely a fun activity. I don't see how van-suv-rental can be a bad thing, it's only fun. For many of us, it means we’ll devote time to finding the right price, deciding which features to add, and debating the cost and need for extra car rental insurance.

colb

Basil prune and burn it with fire.
Either way good luck and take some pics. :sisi:
Took a pic from the road while pruning nearby. You can see that it still has acute junctions, but there is a tiny bit of room between each one, which did not used to be the case...
20200429_175701.jpg

colb

Took a pic from the road while pruning nearby. You can see that it still has acute junctions, but there is a tiny bit of room between each one, which did not used to be the case...
View attachment 67244
And, if I'm not fooling myself, I'm just barely ahead of it in terms of being able to make small cuts/few cuts before the branches fuse together... Also has that cool "cathedral" look still, which would be very cool if it wasn't so prone to failure.

TallTreeClimber

I'm down with the Makita 18-volt 1000 inch pound torque cordless drill because I have the makita chainsaws also so I have the battery system.

It will drive a 5/8 in auger through a railroad tie but I'm not sure how much more it'll do than that, it'll probably do a little bit more because it's a pretty stout drill.

LordFarkwad

Did a cabling job yesterday - Super Hawg wins again. Thanks for the guidance, gentlemen. Very heavy, but once the bag's in the tree and the work positioning is good to go...man that thing rips.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom