Do you really hold the chainsaw with both hands ?

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
YUP - in MN too and no palms here!

Listen///reread///reread everything @*useless info* has to say. It may seam like it's written in code - but after really looking at it - it makes sense. Not at first - not 2-3-4 times later - but when it does ------- IT'S GOLD.

He brings up and holds true what is basic physics/science/even geometry - truly is - and we should know, but only know from past experience which can and is useful.
His last post was just saying that I'm right, so drunken me supports this post.

Paul Lloyd-Jones

YUP - in MN too and no palms here!

Listen///reread///reread everything @*useless info* has to say. It may seam like it's written in code - but after really looking at it - it makes sense. Not at first - not 2-3-4 times later - but when it does ------- IT'S GOLD.

He brings up and holds true what is basic physics/science/even geometry - truly is - and we should know, but only know from past experience which can and is useful.
Lol. Thanks for that tip. I usually only give it 2 or 3 tries and then give up. I’m kind of a grammarian (with an English teacher for a wife), so it’s a struggle for me, but I’ll push through based on your recommendation. It’s good to know.

Anyway, I don’t leave the ground without 3 webbing loops and HMS binders on my saddle (four in lift, plus BARC).

I also run a 2511 (apparently part of my one-handing problem. Haha).

Wrangler

As an employee if you can show me you can follow Best Practices set forth by industry and be productive , your gonna get more responsibility and more pay! If you show me how you can wave a saw around like a ginsu chef and dice up brush you get a rake! I have a ton of stuff to try to juggle all day as a business owner, plus try to keep my focus on not making stupid mistakes myself, someone who looks like an accident waiting to happen can have tomorrow off,and the next day,and the day after that......

climbingmonkey24

Two hands as much as possible but if I feel I have to one hand the saw in certain situations, then I do. And it has nothing to do with thinking it’s cool or because I just don’t want to use two hands, it’s because whatever position I’m in I feel one hand is what I need to. And I don’t feel bad about it either if what I’m doing is what I think is best for my safety. A textbook scenario isn’t always the same as being up in the tree.

ATH

Two hands as much as possible but if I feel I have to one hand the saw in certain situations, then I do. And it has nothing to do with thinking it’s cool or because I just don’t want to use two hands, it’s because whatever position I’m in I feel one hand is what I need to. And I don’t feel bad about it either if what I’m doing is what I think is best for my safety. A textbook scenario isn’t always the same as being up in the tree.
Do you have a rough idea of what percentage of your cuts are one-handed?

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I probably vary from around 5% to 50% depending on the tree and what we are doing.

I don't ever 1-hand the 201. I basically dropped the habit entirely over the last year and then the 2511 came into my life. I'm not blaming the saw, but I can now comfortably do all kinds of things that I used to do with the 201 and I could feel it taking its toll.
It's not about the rules because I am not going to cut myself. (I'm also not falling out of a tree or dropping anything on my groundies or smashing a house with a log.)
@ATH I know you didn't ask me, but it seems like you're collecting these answers.

Reactions: ATH

theatertech87

Believe it or not, I actually find myself 1 handing less with a 2511 than I did with my 200/201...

I'm honestly not sure if it's the lack of power (relatively speaking) and I'm less inclined to reach out and zip something off... Or if the ergonomics of the side handle are better and more conducive to make awkward cuts with 2 hands (I was born into the work with an 019 and loved the wrap style handle)

Reactions: ATH

climbingmonkey24

Honestly not really sure because it’s not something I give too much thought about. It’s instincts. Muscle reaction and muscle memory from having done stuff repeatedly. I just react in a situation from having worked in trees repeatedly (I’m sure you guys know what I mean).

However much or however little I have to.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom