Carrying gas/oil while climbing?

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure I'll just go with the higher quality MSR bottles. Reusing pre-mix bottles would work fine I'm sure, but like evo points out, they just won't be as tough.

"Won't be as tough ....." ? ? ?

I agree that the ready made hole on the MSR cap is a BIG advantage for the climbing application.

But accidentally drop an Aluminium MSR bottle from a tree Vs a Trufuel Steel container .................... ?

Reach

"Won't be as tough ....." ? ? ?

I agree that the ready made hole on the MSR cap is a BIG advantage for the climbing application.

But accidentally drop an Aluminium MSR bottle from a tree Vs a Trufuel Steel container .................... ?
Personally, I would take my chances dropping an MSR can over a Trufuel can. The MSR cans are designed as pressure vessels for camp stove fuel, and are remarkably strong. A Trufuel can may also survive a fall from a tree, but I’m not sure I want to find out. Really, I don’t want to see either one fall, but if I had to choose, I would trust the design and wall thickness of the MSR can.

27RMT0N

A little follow-up on this thread, here is what I ended up doing.

Not the fanciest looking setup with the duct-tape but it gets the job done quite well using materials I had sitting there in my shop. It turned out my parents had a bunch of old MSR bottles, so I used two of those that look very different to make the gas/oil bottles obvious. The gaskets were cracked, so I had to buy new caps and gaskets, and since I wanted leashes on the caps so they couldn't be dropped, the swivels were necessary, a few bucks at the hardware store.

Overall it's a very durable setup that I'm happy with so far. Using the para-cord loops and carabiner to hang them on my saddle is far more comfortable than hanging them from their own caps. Even if I don't need to refuel in a tree, on the jobs where I do multiple removals back-to-back, just having that on my saddle means it's there when I come down to refuel between trees, I don't need to head back over to the truck for the big/primary gas and oil.

DSCN7338 (Custom).JPG

DSCN7348 (Custom).JPG

DSCN7536 (Custom).JPG

Reach

Not the fanciest looking setup with the duct-tape but it gets the job done quite well using materials I had sitting there in my shop. It turned out my parents had a bunch of old MSR bottles, so I used two of those that look very different to make the gas/oil bottles obvious. The gaskets were cracked, so I had to buy new caps and gaskets, and since I wanted leashes on the caps so they couldn't be dropped, the swivels were necessary, a few bucks at the hardware store.

Overall it's a very durable setup that I'm happy with so far. Using the para-cord loops and carabiner to hang them on my saddle is far more comfortable than hanging them from their own caps. Even if I don't need to refuel in a tree, on the jobs where I do multiple removals back-to-back, just having that on my saddle means it's there when I come down to refuel between trees, I don't need to head back over to the truck for the big/primary gas and oil.

View attachment 74147

View attachment 74148

View attachment 74149
That looks like a good plan to me, my lawn guys used to use MSR cans to carry spare trimmer fuel for trimming large properties. We gave them Nalgene belt holsters, I found one that the MSR cans fit in nicely, might be an option for you as well, may be more secure than the duct tape.

southsoundtree

Wish I would have taken extra fuel and oil on a recent solo tree. Very surprisingly, I couldn't finish brushing it out in two tanks in my 2511t.

I have two empty Seafoam bottles ready to strap up.

Glad I took a bar tool, as I threw my chain.

27RMT0N

That looks like a good plan to me, my lawn guys used to use MSR cans to carry spare trimmer fuel for trimming large properties. We gave them Nalgene belt holsters, I found one that the MSR cans fit in nicely, might be an option for you as well, may be more secure than the duct tape.

The way I have it setup is that paracord loop they hang on is girth-hitched around the bottle, then that is taped over. There is quite a bit of surface area for both the cord and the tape, so the thing is actually pretty strong.

27RMT0N

Wish I would have taken extra fuel and oil on a recent solo tree. Very surprisingly, I couldn't finish brushing it out in two tanks in my 2511t.

I have two empty Seafoam bottles ready to strap up.

Glad I took a bar tool, as I threw my chain.
Yah, even when think I probably wont need more than one tank of fuel, I'll bring it with me just in case. Not having that extra little thing to worry about is nice and keeps me from making poor decisions just to try and save little bits of fuel here and there. As for throwing chains in trees, yah, that's a hassle and I've got a bar tool with me at all times. Up a tree is where the benefit of captive bar nuts really shine!

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nalgene is 1st Class Stuff !

Link ?

View attachment 74147

View attachment 74148

View attachment 74149
Thanks for the post.
One comment; Those leash snaps open pretty darn easily !

Reach

Nalgene is 1st Class Stuff !

Link ?

Thanks for the post.
One comment; Those leash snaps open pretty darn easily !
Yes, I love Nalgene bottles. I have a whole pile from my hiking/kayaking days.

This isn’t the exact one we used, but it’s similar: https://nalgene.com/product/32oz-na...pM8xxWxjtRM32V9NoWHUlPOI2fsg9BqxoC1H8QAvD_BwE
The Neoprene sleeve grips the MSR cans tightly, they may become more or less permanently installed like ours did - that’s not a problem though, it’s a good thing, makes it harder to drop one.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I love Nalgene bottles. I have a whole pile from my hiking/kayaking days.

This isn’t the exact one we used, but it’s similar: https://nalgene.com/product/32oz-na...pM8xxWxjtRM32V9NoWHUlPOI2fsg9BqxoC1H8QAvD_BwE
The Neoprene sleeve grips the MSR cans tightly, they may become more or less permanently installed like ours did - that’s not a problem though, it’s a good thing, makes it harder to drop one.
I used Nalgene bottles to collect liquid samples for more than 30 yrs.
NEVER had one leak ! ! !

dmonn

I love this site. It brings up all kinds of useful ideas, even for completely different applications. I have a John Deere ZTR mower where the gas tank is hidden and there's no fuel gauge. I've run out of gas with it on a couple of occasions when I'm 1/4 mile from the house. A spare mini-gas can could easily be stowed on it and keep me from needing to make a 1/2 mile hike to the house and back.

colb

I use the msr bottles, mostly on bluff jobs where I have to descend 50-100’ hacking blackberries and brush before I even get to the tree. Most the time I just refuel the saw before ascending and hang em on some ocean spray near by.
My mistake was getting the bar oil to fuel ratio wrong. Mine hold about 2.5 tanks of fuel, and 1.5 tanks of bar
When I was studying during summers in the Pudget Sound we had intense nighttime capture the flag games at our marine station. The flags were glow sticks. It got so nuts that a guy jumped off a beach bluff with the flag into a huge rose bush to cushion his fall, to try to avoid being captured. The bluff was about 25 feet up and the bush was about 15 feet high, so he got a cushion while becoming a pincushion. There are so many lovely, thorny bushes around your neck of the woods.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom