Carrying gas/oil while climbing?

27RMT0N

It doesn’t happen often, but occasionally I do big, tall, nasty removals that require more than a tank in my 201T. Often times it’s just nice to not have to send the saw down for the ground guy to refuel because it’s like 100 feet to the ground, or I’m actually working solo and have to go up/down myself. Sometimes fuel concerns can alter my work-plan, which I’d love to avoid going forward.

What I’ve seen other people do in videos (mostly forestry climbers in BC) is to either have the classic MSR camp fuel bottles hanging of their saddles, or I’ve even seen guys just use Gatorade bottles with a sling duct-taped on to hang. Obviously that… looks a little unprofessional and they could break/leak pretty easy... but I guess it works. The small MSR bottles (11oz, all I’d need) are $20 each and then since you will want to replace the awful childsafe caps, another $15 for caps.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

msr small bottle.jpg

Crimsonking

Personally all these options sound like more work/headache than sending down the saw. I use the rigging line most times, so someone else can haul it back up. Solo jobs are a different story, though I can’t think of a solo job where I’ve used more than one tank during a climb.

evo

I use the msr bottles, mostly on bluff jobs where I have to descend 50-100’ hacking blackberries and brush before I even get to the tree. Most the time I just refuel the saw before ascending and hang em on some ocean spray near by.
My mistake was getting the bar oil to fuel ratio wrong. Mine hold about 2.5 tanks of fuel, and 1.5 tanks of bar

Trreeguy

I’m on a hot shot crew I. Montana we use them a lot not climbing but in are packs the tall ones hold about three tanks with the small one holding about three of bar oil

ATH

For climbing I used an MSR-type bottle.

For carrying around in the woods knowing I'll won't use more than 3 full tanks(or sometimes I'll carry 2 bottles plus a quart of canola in a carpenter tool belt - a good half day or more in the woods without keeping track of a fuel can!), I use the quart-sized bottles of pre-mix. No, I don't use the premix more than once - then I refill the bottle. I was looking all over for a quart sized bottle that could safely hold fuel and couldn't find any for less than $40. Then I realized that I could just buy a bottle of pre-mix and have a fuel-rated bottle...better than Gatorade bottles!

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
For climbing I used an MSR-type bottle.

For carrying around in the woods knowing I'll won't use more than 3 full tanks(or sometimes I'll carry 2 bottles plus a quart of canola in a carpenter tool belt - a good half day or more in the woods without keeping track of a fuel can!), I use the quart-sized bottles of pre-mix. No, I don't use the premix more than once - then I refill the bottle. I was looking all over for a quart sized bottle that could safely hold fuel and couldn't find any for less than $40. Then I realized that I could just buy a bottle of pre-mix and have a fuel-rated bottle...better than Gatorade bottles!

I don't use extra fuel to climb.
However, I have used the old, round, pre-mix (MotoMix) bottles for years to maintain fuel quality over storage time. They are air tight containers, and if the volatiles can not escape, I think the fuel is "good as new".
MotoMix advertised that unopened cans had a shelf life of 4 years. Opened cans had a shelf life of 1 year. They were easy to transport, easy to add fuel, etc.

Unfortunately, MotoMix has stopped using the nice, round, 1-qt bottles.
They now use 1-qt "rectangular" cans; which are NOT as easy to pour out of.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another vote for the premix bottles. I will mix up a few gallons at a time then just fill the reused quart bottles, much easier to pour out of and carry to where needed.
Any recomendations for pre-mix brand in round bottles, now that MotoMix only has rectangular cans ?
Some of the "collar" seals at the top of my MotoMix bottles have started to leak, so I trash them.
The camping bottles are too $$$.

eolson

Any recomendations for pre-mix brand in round bottles, now that MotoMix only has rectangular cans ?
Some of the "collar" seals at the top of my MotoMix bottles have started to leak, so I trash them.
The camping bottles are too $$$.
Sure, Echo, Husqvarna and some lesser known brands (from Runnings, a farm store) are all stocked locally for me in qt rounds. I have run the Husky cans for a few years and as long as you're careful not to cross thread the cap they last a long time. I've got a rectangular milk crate that fits a dozen perfectly so I don't even use a gas can except to mix.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about bar oil ?
I have for years, used old 1-qt motor oil plastic containers, just for the "no spill convenience".
Mine have a level indicator strip, for easy filling, and content.
Just use a large funnel to transfer from 1-gal. oil jug.

Note: Black out motor oil reference ! and Mark "Bar Oil" !

ATH

What about bar oil ?
I have for years, used old 1-qt motor oil plastic containers, just for the "no spill convenience".
Mine have a level indicator strip, for easy filling, and content.
Just use a large funnel to transfer from 1-gal. oil jug.

Note: Black out motor oil reference ! and Mark "Bar Oil" !
I use 1 qt motor oil containers as well....use Canola oil for bar/chain. So headed to the woods to do some timber stand improvement, I have a the tool belt with: 2 premix cans, 1 qt canola in motor oil bottle, file, scrench, spare chain, 2 wedges, small hatchet, bottle of water. Good for half a day. Refill at truck and grab a quick lunch...

evo

The MSR bottles are way more robust than the premix bottles. If I were just hiking down a trail and needed a few tanks extra I'd pack those. Anything else for lower volumes I go with MSR, way more robust in construction, built in loops on the lids, etc...
As for bar oil, I just use a smaller MSR bottle. Big for gas, little for oil..
Rinse and use for camping...
For multiple users and saws, I use two gallon oil jugs. Matched pair with different color caps and about 3' of scrap rope tied to the handles. Easy to sling over a shoulder, and easy to hang on a nearby tree's stub

27RMT0N

I'm pretty sure I'll just go with the higher quality MSR bottles. Reusing pre-mix bottles would work fine I'm sure, but like evo points out, they just won't be as tough. In terms of size, the small ones are probably all I need since I don't want anything bigger in the tree than needed, and when I'm actually on the ground it they will offer at least one more tank in any saw, plus I'm usually not too far from my truck most of the time.

southsoundtree

I'd measure the tanks/ read the specs. Find two bottles that are the right size. I've never wanted/ needed to fill twice while solo.

Might only need half a tank.

Ms461 27 oz of fuel.

201t attached Screenshot_2020-08-21-08-25-16.png

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom