Arbor trolley

I concur, what if he blew up one of those blocks over a hard target liability, or a human….
Yep, that very thought has crossed my mind once or dozen times this weekend. I understand a brain fart once in a while but it’s getting more and more and just stupid shit someone new to the work would do but not a guy with seven years of experience.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ATH
7 years of what kind of experiences and performance?


I find lots of experienced people to have blind spots and taking unnecessary risks. Inexperienced people as well.


After telling my new guy on day one with the pitch fork not to stand the pitch fork on the ground on the handle and not to hold the metal spikes near his face, I've had to tell him twice not to do it. Possible partially for to hair in the eyes making blinders, I realize upon reflecting while typing.
 
No. Pine and fir. We did Skyline Logging on ground you could only log that way or by helicopter. Lots of fun...

The only thing that had me want to get away from that was guys competing to be the most animalistic possible and them drinking till midnight and showing up to work at 6. After I left they managed to crush two guys killing one and lifetime in a wheelchair for the other.
 
I will comment more on this.....
for now I'm off to work.
Yup, it was the way my father raised me. To be responsible for myself.
I've only damaged a company's property once. I paid for it. Not because I was told to but, because I felt responsible for it.

One other time, while ripping a roof off, there was a neon vacancy sign mounted to the roof. The owner of the hotel said to be careful of the sign as it was very old. I was 3' away from it, while gently popping loose shingles. It just disintegrated. The lady was in hysterics over it. I pulled $400 from my pocket and handed it to her. This incident I regret owning to. Even if it hadn't broke then, It would have before the job was done. The brother of the boss even exclaimed, "You weren't even near it." I handed over the coin just to shut her up.

Anyway, I'm very glad my father raised me the way he did. I make effort to keep equipment out of harms way. Even as a contract climber and it's the crews equipment.
 
Nice! The thing that comes to mind for me is the better quality of life you get to live all through life as a result of your personal responsibility choices. Every day I can imagine you being that much more impressed with yourself and your course through this world.

On the other hand I look at the lives that get lived by those that the law protects from taking personal responsibility and.... I'm sorry for their loss.
 
Yup, it was the way my father raised me. To be responsible for myself.
I've only damaged a company's property once. I paid for it. Not because I was told to but, because I felt responsible for it.

One other time, while ripping a roof off, there was a neon vacancy sign mounted to the roof. The owner of the hotel said to be careful of the sign as it was very old. I was 3' away from it, while gently popping loose shingles. It just disintegrated. The lady was in hysterics over it. I pulled $400 from my pocket and handed it to her. This incident I regret owning to. Even if it hadn't broke then, It would have before the job was done. The brother of the boss even exclaimed, "You weren't even near it." I handed over the coin just to shut her up.

Anyway, I'm very glad my father raised me the way he did. I make effort to keep equipment out of harms way. Even as a contract climber and it's the crews equipment.
I feel like 99% of our job is risk mitigation. The other 1% actual tree work and maintenance.
 
Yep, that very thought has crossed my mind once or dozen times this weekend. I understand a brain fart once in a while but it’s getting more and more and just stupid shit someone new to the work would do but not a guy with seven years of experience.
I lost a slight backleaning, dead, rotten tree to an employee brainfart, recently.


He's an engineering student, in for a second summer. Came in tired and running late, regularly, but with food and daily personal supplies, generally doing Call-and-Respond and acting prudently, learning quickly.


After all the training on how, physics-wise, sitting on/ sideloading a tensioned rope is
very effective, way more than pulling by hand,

and teaching him to use the rope-puller, and spiking behind the rope-puller once tensioned,

using the puller repeatedly, having him setting up the puller under instruction, having him give me a 1-10 rating on his pull effort,

I was on the back cut. I called to keep tension on the rope as I finished the backcut. The tree started for the layout, then started to drift when he decided to try to pull with the spiked puller rather than following the well-established ( easily 15 years of doing the same/ training the same) SOP.

I didn't tell him, in that instance, to do as trained, again and again, to maintain tension through side-loading.

Had he maintained tension, or I used an inanimate object ( float a log on the pull rope), or pulled with a truck, it would have been fine.
MY fault. His choices to do something of his own judgment instead of following his training.





Idk if you guys ever have people hearing things you don't say or not hearing things you do say.



Idk if you guys ever have people "figuring" ( "oh, I figured...) about things you've known for a decade or two and taught every employee the same way.


Machines never make undesired judgments or actions unless in disrepair. If a machine is turned over, the operator asked the machine to turn on its side, unless there is a mechanical problem. I can close to turning over (lifting or coming light on 2 wheels) the St. Parks Garrett 15 skidder. The 40- year old winch stuck in pulling mode. I was able to disengage the clutch. Backed up with wedges. Didn't loose the tree or flip the skidder.



I used to want to have a team of people. I've learned way too many people who have/ will do tree work are full of problems.

Yesterday, in a 20 minute video call interview, I slowly and calmly asked the guy twice, "What is your experience doing tree work? I still don't know. I've had multiple people over the years volunteer that they are homeless, but don't appear so, living out of their truck.

None of my machines are homeless or tired or had a fight with their girlfriend or stayed up to late on the internet playing games with people in China.



52 tires and 4 tracks, presently.
None of them come to me with personal problems. Every single one is ready and willing and capable as ever at 3am for an emergency call, or can sit and wait. One chipper is in a client's forest, one chipper is waiting for a big, machine-feeding removal job, one is behind my truck now. I haven't chipped in a month+ (busy, busy, just not chipping).


Machines dont drive. Lots of employees (particularly young ones) don't have enough proper, safe, truck driving experience.
 
When they break something and act as is its no big deal, or "not my problem"... that flags
When they make every effort to communicate the mistake and are willing to do everything in their power to fix
or attempt to fix. Those accidents become a lot more forgivable. I've found, having them go through the motions of the repair effort, the frequency of "accident" reduces. Obviously, there are situations where they need to be working instead of trying to fix things... time/money etc. Huge pet peeve, when people show no remorse or ownership for their actions.
 
When they break something and act as is its no big deal, or "not my problem"... that flags
When they make every effort to communicate the mistake and are willing to do everything in their power to fix
or attempt to fix. Those accidents become a lot more forgivable. I've found, having them go through the motions of the repair effort, the frequency of "accident" reduces. Obviously, there are situations where they need to be working instead of trying to fix things... time/money etc. Huge pet peeve, when people show no remorse or ownership for their actions.

I wasn't allowed to pay for the fence I banged up, but I was allowed to fix it with materials my boss provided. I was happy to learn how to properly fix a chain link fence, and it took just long enough for me to really wallow in the embarassment of having the whole crew watch me do it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ATH
I think they hear but don’t comprehend or just nod to verify they heard you talking but have no clue what was actually said.
I've started to ask people if they understand how something is sensible.

Why ask if something straightforward and sensible makes sense? I know it does.


Landing pieces on something (log, rock, hill) to prevent rope-trapping, then pulling slack, and introducing slack into a running knot to allow the person to stand upright and untie the main knot IS sensible.
I don't ask if it makes sense.
I want to know if they understand it makes sense.

I hope I only "teach them to fish", once. Maybe 5 times is realistic.
 

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom