I injected that tree in the pic with Rainbow!
It was done a year ago and is starkly different from the other mature beech along side it, which recent images had it without leaves while the one we injected looked great.
Those thinning canopies look pretty classic to BLD. Possibly they are second flush and free of the banding, or maybe that happened the previous year resulting in thinner canopies but less symptomatic leaves.
I do believe we have collected samples that were positive for BLd with no banding. But...
most of the 4hr trees took so long I think due to factors other than size. For instance one during a training was a ~24”DBH beech with heavy canopy competition. Meanwhile I’ve had much bigger take around an hour.
Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any special formula. I train to always do a...
I’ve had luck with tank water but I do think a deionizer expedites things. We have a company policy of no muriatic acid. I don’t know enough about rain water impurities and I suspect that would be a regional thing. The lack of precipitate makes me think it may not of been the water. We’ve been...
I’ve seen a lot of good rigs diligently watching Facebook marketplace and the different forestry/equipment sales.
A lot of the bigger companies put their rigs out to auction when they are done. Would be worth touching base with those companies that are local to you and asking where the auctions...
Way too much room for error with macro injections alone would stop me from doing this. From applicator error to the tree itself causing inconsistent distribution of product.
Be careful with the highest rates and phytotoxicity, for us it’s untested. Seeing good results 1.6 Oz per inch of DBH so no need to risk it or use more product right now.
I’ve thought about the ailanthus/acceptance of invasives as well, as early as today when I saw a large tree of heaven thriving where many would not. Ultimately I think it’s a pretty rash decision as these types of plants don’t play the same ecological role as our native species do. Can animals...
Rainbows customer service is great for my area. I can’t speak to representatives in other regions but I’ve heard good things.
No problems with the HTI but I haven’t put it through very vigorous testing as it’s a training tool for the most part. But I haven’t heard of many. It’s limited on...
Pretty happy with the rainbow HTI for dosed treatments that need to be accurate. I have mine with a gas powered maruyama but works good with some electric backpacks depending on soil type; flow zone typhoon is what I have experience with.
Black locust I think is associated with a shelf mushroom, particularly old growth ones. I honestly don’t know the mushrooms habit but I do know BL is used for fence posts and ship building because of its rot resistance.
I appreciate this! Great idea around pitching to municipalities. Do you find those projects eat up a lot of time that may be conflicting with timing treatments for other clients?
Yeah there’s definitely a large market for PHC in my area, residential and commercial. I just don’t see many companies that it’s their sole focus, it’s always attached with a tree service. Lots of market for tick and mosquito treatments, although I’d like to avoid those and really focus on IPM...
How is it going so far for you? Any difficulty with a limited pallet of services like this?
One thing I noticed is a lot of tree care companies offer PHC around here but very few do it well.
Some oddballs and cool ones.
Camperdown elm at Smith College with impressive root flare
Ginkgo with odd growth known as “chi-chi”
Red Maples in the woods that inarch grafted to each other.