why do people feel they need to bid so high

Axman

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i was just wondering why you guys charge so much for using a chain-saw, some rope, and a truck. i think if you subsituted hatchet with chain saw and pure brute power with truck you would have a friggen cave man, you guys are doing primitive work with no high tech equipment, why get mad when the 2 trailer park boys say they will do your work for less, if thats enuff money to them for there lifestyle then they are not in the wrong, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you work like a caveman, I don't.
Your statement is classic ignorance of what's around you. Do caveman work, get caveman prices. Take care of trees, know how and when to treat them, know how to take down a huge spreading oak and put it all in a landing zone about 7 feet square, know how to give confidence to your crew and customers, this list goes on... that's how to be worth a lot more than a guy with a chainsaw and some rope. Doing the job right takes experience, skill, continuing education and professionalism. You don't need high tech equipment to take care of trees, you have to have high knowledge like biology, physics, taxonomy and advanced cuts... and then there's safety. The body of knowledge an arborist uses is very broad and interdisciplinary, you have to learn constantly, it's not for everybody.

Jacklegs need not apply... especially the hungover ones.

One last thing, when my personal safety is at risk, I want money and plenty of it, I'm worth it. Besides, it's damn hard to un-electrocute yourself.

You jackleg guys are common as dirt and you come and you go. That makes you a minor irritant but nothing more. You condemn and hack up valuable trees without ever knowing or caring anything about'em. THAT pisses me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said Blinky. I couldn't agree more.

The question I have to raise is how many more accidents have to happen like people getting eaten by chippers and maimned by chainsaws before something is done about it to keep these fly by nights from popping up out of no where with no training in regards to safe work practices to do tree work of any kind.

It is just to easy to get into this business and hang a shingle out saying your a saw for hire.

Every time I read about an accident or an incident that involves property damage. The comments and summations that come from sources outside of our industry seem so lackluster. It is like, oh well, accidents happen, what a shame, better luck next time, too bad the poor guy got injured or the homeowners house didn't get damaged that bad even though a tree squashed it because some idiot didn't know what he was doing either by cutting it wrong or overloading a piece of equipment.

When are we going to get a reprieve from these jackleg's??

Nothing has really changed in the 30 years I have been in business. The same conversations and comments we are having today on the internet are the same ones that were going on in trade pubs before the internet.

Is any finger pointing ever going to be done and put the blame where it actually belongs. That most of the accidents and property damage are caused by individuals that shouldn't have been allowed to be in this business in the first place because no pre-requesites were required for them to get into the business.

We are never going to get rid of the jacklegs but if we can at least make it so it isn't so easy to get into the business it will at least help level the playing field and help give the tree care industry the professional image and respect that we all crave.

Sorry for the rant, but today was one of those days that we were doing trailor park boys work and charging too much. If you want to call felling trees that leaned toward the house, irrigation system, neighbors property, remove hangers and busted tops from wind and ice damaged trees and clear a line of sight for a fence project deadline. We also had to work with primitive equipment like climbing gear and a 5 to 1 along with some chainsaws. We got more done in 1 hour than previous jacklegs could in four hours because the client told us she had others before but nothing went as smooth and as fast as the pace we were setting compared to the others she had before. At the end of the day we left a very happy client and undamged property.

I know this guy might be a troll and really not worth a response but it really ticks me off too that someone actually comes onto a pro site like this and saying that we charge too much and that anyone can do what we do just rubbed me the wrong way.

I am done

Larry

easyphloem

[ QUOTE ]

The same conversations and comments we are having today on the internet are the same ones that were going on in trade pubs before the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. There was a time before internets?

Is a trade pub somewhere you can buy beer?

SZ

Toparboring

This where a proffesional just smirks and walks away knowing that when that tree comes down and wrecks something cause they are not propperly trained, have the right equiptment,and the expierence in knowing about the forces murphies law are going to do their best to stop you.
So jackleg what would you bid on a 60' 48" dbh tree that hangs over half the house has half the main lead snapped out caught in the crotch of another lead over the families back porch? OOOOOOoo and you need to remove the whole tree plus stump in 1 day.
Nate

Blinky

[ QUOTE ]
This where a proffesional just smirks and walks away knowing that when that tree comes down and wrecks something cause they are not propperly trained, have the right equiptment,and the expierence in knowing about the forces murphies law are going to do their best to stop you.
So jackleg what would you bid on a 60' 48" dbh tree that hangs over half the house has half the main lead snapped out caught in the crotch of another lead over the families back porch? OOOOOOoo and you need to remove the whole tree plus stump in 1 day.
Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing he doesn't know DBH from RPM or IBS.

Axman

Wait. There was a time before internets?

yes, believe it or not there was

Is a trade pub somewhere you can buy beer?

trade publications, sorry for the abbreveation

bearinatree

Man come out and work with just about anyone on this site and you'll probably be crying by the end of the day. Idiots keep the insurance rates high.