What’s your favourite lanyard set up

JeffGu

Been here a while
Well, it was the right answer. None of the voices in my head sound like @Mowerr, though.

So far, I used it earlier today to whack epicormic growth off the trunk of a Siberian Elm with a lot of storm damage. Up about 30' and back down. It worked very well and I really like the loss of weight compared to the stainless steel snap hook I originally put on it.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
This double lanyard drop I made.

Nice DEDA configuration.

When I built mine I color coded each one. Red snap and adjuster hitch then a blue setup. Having them color coded was really nice when climbing in super thick canopies or at dusk. Colored electrical tape can be used to code the hitches.

Nice DEDA configuration.

When I built mine I color coded each one. Red snap and adjuster hitch then a blue setup. Having them color coded was really nice when climbing in super thick canopies or at dusk. Colored electrical tape can be used to code the hitches.
That's a good call. I may have to get creative with a sharpie. Do you use something similar? If you have a photo if love to see it.

DumpyMcDoodleface

Marker and paint pens won't show up or last very long. @Tom Dunlap 's tape suggestion is spot on unless you want to try colored heat shrink. You can buy little packs of various vinyl tape from the hardware store specifically geared toward marking. Otherwise red and white electrical tape is pretty commonly available. Just mark one snap and one hitch and that should be sufficient. I like vinyl tape for it's conformity and resistance to water.

You can also look for "spike tape" or "gaffers tape" on Amazon. They are kinda pricey but you can get them in thin rolls in tons of colors including hi viz. They are true cloth tapes with natural rubber adhesives which don't leave behind the sticky mess when you take it off (well much better than other types of tape, leave it long enough or let it bake in the sun long enough and it will leave some residue).

Warning, once you buy the stuff... It will ruin you. Duct tape will end up looking like cheap garbage... the same way cheap hardware and cordage looks now.

You've been warned.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Since I live in the state of 3M I'm biased. Unless there is a reason to have the tape fail I get good stuff. Gaffers tape from 3M or name brand is so close to flexible fiberglass for repairs.

Gorilla Tape is good but over-priced/marketed gaffers tape.

Since I live in the state of 3M I'm biased. Unless there is a reason to have the tape fail I get good stuff. Gaffers tape from 3M or name brand is so close to flexible fiberglass for repairs.

Sounds good. I'll get all colorful with it! I appreciate the advice. Heres a shot of the setup in action.
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191021151208826.jpg

DumpyMcDoodleface

Gorilla tape has it's place when I want something really stiff and thick.

And I have a roll of 3m gaffers tape, but I think my favorite is gafferpower or something like that.

Pretty much don't buy anything other than 3m for electrical tape. The slightly higher cost is totally worth it. I also use the heck out of that 3m VHB.

Mowerr

Branched out member
Yes, I use it with a Zillon. Works great with all adjusters I've tried. Doesn't feel any stiffer to me than a lot of other kernmantle ropes, but it doesn't wear out as fast as other ropes. It has some cut resistance, but I wouldn't recommend counting on that too much. It does flip well, for a rope. Not as good as a 5/8" one, but better than most of the other ropes that I use.

View attachment 62986
where did you get that gold zillon?? i never see a gold one..

Christrees

Participating member
ISC alloy snap hook onto 25’ of 11mm through a Trango cinch.
I tail all the spare into a bolt bag that draws up one handed and opens one handed. I also attach a police type dog clip that I have filed the jaws on to fit the rope, this stops the rope pulling out past a point but is released one handed.
I also put a small Prussic on the rope so you can clip the snap hook around a limb onto the prussik and then descend on the Cinch using the lever on a single leg as an alternative , whils under full load .
View attachment 60798
Yeah fellow trango cinch user. I have a trango cinch on 15 ft 10mm snakebite. For a nice light setup. Also great for pines easy cleaning. I have 12ft wire core with a hip prusik or hitch and pulley setup. 12ft geko with an art positioner. 10ft setup with a hitch climber. And multiple extra lanyards I had made up at wesspur. 10,12,15,and a 20ft just spar lanyards I have for when I need em. I always keep 3 on me different lengths and setups. Always have the trango cinch setup positioner setup and my wire core flip line. It's always great to try new setups and lengths you will always find a way to use it sooner or later.

treesap

Participating member
I run a 40ft velocity long lanyard w/ tight eye, hitchclimber pulley running (currently) a 6 wrap 8mmOP distel and a 10mm beeline "floater", best lanyard ive ever used

treesap

Participating member
That's because that all you have used......

Hahaha just playing with ya. Someone's gotta @rico not around.
lmao, ive ran a few (yale 11.7 "confetti", buckstrap, my old bluestreak one (dont try to find that thread, save yourself), and now my updated bluestreak lanyard (15ft 2 in 1)

if im on spurs I like to use two, it adds stiffness

Christrees

Participating member
lmao, ive ran a few (yale 11.7 "confetti", buckstrap, my old bluestreak one (dont try to find that thread, save yourself), and now my updated bluestreak lanyard (15ft 2 in 1)

Oh ok.. well there's a whole world out in front of you. There's alot of gear to try out. But to save you some money nothing better than hitch cord and a michoacan. Along side a art positioner. Never tried a zillion but have heard alot of good things

treesap

Participating member
I like the idea of the petzl one, BUT, you cannot connect it to itself like a pinto or hitchclimber, and you cannot whatsoever sideload it like a pinto or hitchclimber (not saying its a good idea for either of those, but its not horrible)

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom