Time To Step Up

Njdelaney

My plan had always been to get some exp at the company I started tree removal with and then move on to a better company- and now its happening. I applied with Davey and signed my acceptance of employment today. Before stumbling onto this forum, I hadnt thought much about becoming a climber even though Ive always loved climbing whatever was around. But it got me thinking and then I went to a rec climb and watched people moving through trees in ways I had never imagined. So when I applied at Davey, I went for the Climber Trainee position and got it. Im ecstatic and terrified and very thankful that I found this site. Im looking forward to the posts making a lot more sense now and learning from the years of combined exp around here. Wish me luck!!!!
Congratulations! This is very exciting. Feel free to reach out for a rec climb whenever you want or to try some gear you may not have. A company like Davey will have lots of dudes of varying character so get your skin thickened up good. You're gonna do great.

Last edited:

Crimsonking

My plan had always been to get some exp at the company I started tree removal with and then move on to a better company- and now its happening. I applied with Davey and signed my acceptance of employment today. Before stumbling onto this forum, I hadnt thought much about becoming a climber even though Ive always loved climbing whatever was around. But it got me thinking and then I went to a rec climb and watched people moving through trees in ways I had never imagined. So when I applied at Davey, I went for the Climber Trainee position and got it. Im ecstatic and terrified and very thankful that I found this site. Im looking forward to the posts making a lot more sense now and learning from the years of combined exp around here. Wish me luck!!!!
Is the Davey office a residential/commercial office or line clearance?

flushcut

I cant WAIT to stay away from ladders, at least for limb removals anyways. I hated doing that so so much, hated watching my fiance do it even more. Such a ridiculously dangerous way to save time
You can cut from ladders just be tied in somewhere above and be pepaired to damage the ladder. Ladders are fine as long as you are backed up properly.

BoomBitch222

Congrats!!!

Good things come to those that deserve it.

What is to become of your fiance?
Poor guy is stuck at my old company for the time being. We tried buying him a vehicle so he could go somewhere else too but since the earliest we could get an appt at SOS was for Oct 30th, that wont fly. My old boss offered him a raise and to pay him OT for any hours over 50 if he stayed so he did for now.

oldoakman

The boss is probably thinking that tree work is agricultural work. Different rules there. Only thing is tree work doesn't fall under that rule.

evo

go after the bosses ass! Paid OT over 40 is the fucken law, its there for a reason its earned. Please don't fuck around with this one, the boss is taking money from you

Njdelaney

That's really a bold move there. Shorts, not tied in (that I can see), no PPE and that appears to be a Boxelder. Is this in G.P.?

Tuebor

That's really a bold move there. Shorts, not tied in (that I can see), no PPE and that appears to be a Boxelder. Is this in G.P.?
Yep, about a month ago. Some outfit out of Roseville/Eastpointe/Warren. Groundies dressed the same. Kind of firm that hauls away the wood in pick-up beds and snowmobile trailers. I've seen them attacking smaller trees in the area with multiple ladders.

oldoakman

Yep, about a month ago. Some outfit out of Roseville/Eastpointe/Warren. Groundies dressed the same. Kind of firm that hauls away the wood in pick-up beds and snowmobile trailers. I've seen them attacking smaller trees in the area with multiple ladders.
I was going to ask you when you made a trip to C......S GA. That's how all the companies around here look this time of the year. They wear long pants and a hoodie in the winter.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
OT after forty is Federal Law

A case can be made with protection from retaliation by the employer too. Start collecting records now. You shouldn’t have to pay for hiring an attorney. You’ll probably find that the complaint process is slow and plodding

Njdelaney

OT after forty is Federal Law

A case can be made with protection from retaliation by the employer too. Start collecting records now. You shouldn’t have to pay for hiring an attorney. You’ll probably find that the complaint process is slow and plodding
This is all good and well but her fiance may be getting paid under the table and they may not be able to afford losing the money. If that is the case, I'm not sure you can lodge a complaint without grenading the whole situation. I hope that's not the case.

Tuebor

This is all good and well but her fiance may be getting paid under the table and they may not be able to afford losing the money. If that is the case, I'm not sure you can lodge a complaint without grenading the whole situation. I hope that's not the case.
As Judge Judy would say: you have to come to court with clean hands.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom