Span Rigging moving anchor choices

Jehinten

Would any of you consider using this? It’s a shackle with a slick pin with a 3 and a quarter ton WLL. $45ish
Consider using it for what purpose? I recently picked two up primarily for crane slings. They work great. I've also recently started working alongside and teaching rigging to another company who hasn't yet mastered knots, so I tied one of these on the end of the rigging line for when he's rigging over targets.

Stumpsprouts

Consider using it for what purpose? I recently picked two up primarily for crane slings. They work great. I've also recently started working alongside and teaching rigging to another company who hasn't yet mastered knots, so I tied one of these on the end of the rigging line for when he's rigging over targets.
To use as the hardware for the moving anchor in a span rig.. or whatever it should be called. (the subject of the thread)

Jehinten

To use as the hardware for the moving anchor in a span rig.. or whatever it should be called. (the subject of the thread)
As a quick attachment to the piece being rigged, I think it'd work great although a bit heavy. As an attachment to the spanned rigging rope, I think there's better options

Stumpsprouts

@Stumpsprouts Have one for the re-direct pulley for the chipper winch. Heavy but really nice for that application, don’t know if it would be right for your situation but I’m sure you’d find a use for it if not... Wesspur price match if another is cheaper. View attachment 75715
That’s a great idea for the chipper winch. I was wondering about using it directly, no block, which I think is a bad idea.

RyanCafferky

Leave it to a theater tech to be a badass rigger.

Ah, I do love it for some stemwood. Particularly in those wonderful moments when the piece can be tip tied or balance tied. And the direction of the rig moves everything away from the climber. And the piece hardly moves when you cut it. Drool.

Would any of you consider using this? It’s a shackle with a slick pin with a 3 and a quarter ton WLL. $45ish

Lawrence Schultz uses those shackles. He seems to like them for rigging.

oceans

We’ve been using the big Omni in the span with a quick sling. We use at least 1 big DMM Impact on the moving side down to the GRCS...often multiple blocks on the moving side and multiple redirects on the stationary side so we can go BIG!

My only gripe with the Omni is when the “brush” or “wood” won’t allow proper orientation. Everything runs beautifully until you want to lay the piece down and suddenly the rope won’t run fair through the sheaves. Those are the only instances where I would prefer to use a ring/dead eye.

We’ve been spanning for several years, and the greatest addition to that kit was the Makita Hole Hog dual battery right angle drill. Sometimes we’ll put a stay on really horizontal leaders to the hinge won’t break too early, but WHOA MAN can you really swing some wood around with that set up...and FAST! Lifting logs, hanging half a tree, you name it.

Bendroctanus

We’ve been using the big Omni in the span with a quick sling. We use at least 1 big DMM Impact on the moving side down to the GRCS...often multiple blocks on the moving side and multiple redirects on the stationary side so we can go BIG!

My only gripe with the Omni is when the “brush” or “wood” won’t allow proper orientation. Everything runs beautifully until you want to lay the piece down and suddenly the rope won’t run fair through the sheaves. Those are the only instances where I would prefer to use a ring/dead eye.

We’ve been spanning for several years, and the greatest addition to that kit was the Makita Hole Hog dual battery right angle drill. Sometimes we’ll put a stay on really horizontal leaders to the hinge won’t break too early, but WHOA MAN can you really swing some wood around with that set up...and FAST! Lifting logs, hanging half a tree, you name it.
The way you described all that makes me want to see video of it. Very much.

oceans

I wish I had footage of some of the rigs we’ve built over the years. I used to film some here and there, but nothing more recently. Last summer Dylan and I were hammering on spans. One job had us laughing pretty hard. We’d fill up the yard until we couldn’t fit another piece, then rig one more and leave it hanging in the rig. Then I’d come down to help feed the chipper with the mini ex. If ever I get the chance to catch some footage, I will, but most days I’m on the spider crane now.

Bendroctanus

I wish I had footage of some of the rigs we’ve built over the years. I used to film some here and there, but nothing more recently. Last summer Dylan and I were hammering on spans. One job had us laughing pretty hard. We’d fill up the yard until we couldn’t fit another piece, then rig one more and leave it hanging in the rig. Then I’d come down to help feed the chipper with the mini ex. If ever I get the chance to catch some footage, I will, but most days I’m on the spider crane now.
Your operation sounds rad! I’d love to see it someday.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Eric is the first arb I ever saw think up some cool rigging. You were and always been my mentor. Thanks. It has helped me grow leaps and bounds. Loved being around you. Might have to visit again once covid is over. Been way too long.

oceans

Eric is the first arb I ever saw think up some cool rigging. You were and always been my mentor. Thanks. It has helped me grow leaps and bounds. Loved being around you. Might have to visit again once covid is over. Been way too long.
Thanks Paul. That’s really kind. You’re always welcome here. I still have that chestie you made for me. It lives in my SRS Bag and I wear it every climb. Unsurpassed.

Stumpsprouts

Exactly. Less dumb cowboys on YouTube and more professionals. But then again, what professional has time to set up 5 cameras and spend a day editing it all together?
Yep. Mass/RI is our jam.
Specifically? I visit Rehoboth, my hometown, often and it would be fun to watch your crew from afar.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom