Sexism and Homophobia in Arborculture/TreeLife?

Serf Life

Carpal tunnel level member
So I’m “censored”, but Rico can drop all the F-bombs he wants? Fine. Nice tight ship you’re running here.
Thanks for bringing this up. I don’t personally understand why some other forums censor curses but allow, imo, censor-worthy rhetoric even when flagged. I’m not talking about the hyper-PC stuff or allusions to subjects but direct hate speech. Perhaps someone can explain. Fyi I am sincerely asking as I really am curious in the opposing viewpoint.

“I tried to say here a few years ago how dangerous all this flirting with faggots and other perverts is.”

“It's plumb funny that the blacks don't want to "forget" their history...they even have a month to "celebrate" it. Since anything that reminds them of the Antebellum period is "offensive", let's strike it from the history books and act like it never happened. They'd be lost without that old "we built the U.S. with our free labor" garbage. I guess that period was their highlight. They won't work for a paycheck. And no, I don't mean ALL of them. The ones who want to work and make something of themselves do so. The ones I'm talking about sit by and wine and moan about what whitey "owes" them.”

Mods: the above is posted as an example but feel free to edit/delete the quotes if you’d prefer. Gets my blood boiling.

rico

Been here a while
So I’m “censored”, but Rico can drop all the F-bombs he wants? Fine. Nice tight ship you’re running here.

Perhaps YOU are the racist here, Rico. We see what we want in our own associations. I have never participated, supported or condoned murder, by any method. Had their same victims been beaten with hammers, would the hammer represent hatred and racism to you? If they’d been electrocuted, would you live without electricity to show your contempt? In my opinion, you’re missing the forest for the trees.

Just like the media getting hung up on what type firearms is used in a shooting. Murder is murder, regardless of weapon used, and it’s illegal. You are way too hung up on the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law.

Thats it? Thats your defense of the indefensible? "murder is murder" and "Rico's the racist". Pathetic bro...

Not sure if your aware, but there is a fella from Alabama over at the treehouse who also has no issue with the noose, but gets his knickers in a knot over profanity He refers to it as "ghetto language", and you called it "gutter language". What are the odds?

2 peas in a pod, me thinks...

Last edited:

evo

Been here a while
Perhaps YOU are the racist here, Rico. We see what we want in our own associations. I have never participated, supported or condoned murder, by any method. Had their same victims been beaten with hammers, would the hammer represent hatred and racism to you? If they’d been electrocuted, would you live without electricity to show your contempt? In my opinion, you’re missing the forest for the trees.

Just like the media getting hung up on what type firearms is used in a shooting. Murder is murder, regardless of weapon used, and it’s illegal. You are way too hung up on the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law.
A hammer is a tool that is designed for a task. Yes it has and will be used as a weapon but that is far from the use of the tool. Now I won’t waste my breath with electricity...

a noose has one purpose.... so the symbolism is very different. Now add a smidge of history to the soup and yes it’s a symbol used for hate crimes. Do you have no empathy? Can you not wrap your little peanut brain around the fact that for centuries a noose was a tool to display black bodies in public spaces?

Your argument is beyond weak, and perpetuates racism and terror. If it quacks like a duck what then?

personally I’m fond of the swastika symbol, the use as a symbol dates back further than anyone can define. It was appropriated and used by the Nazi’s so you will never see me advocating for its display or use. Why you ask? Out of respect for all the lives lost under that symbol. Does it make that symbol inherently evil? That depends on the application and use, a Chinese swastika is very different than a nazi swastika.

now back to a noose, we aren’t talking about banning all slip knots. It’s a fucken symboland knot that only has purpose, which is to kill people and display their bodies in a act of terror. This was(is) the method of choice for white supremists. Nuff said.. so my question to you born2climb with your very weak argument is are you a white supremest?

Thats it? Thats your defense of the indefensible? "murder is murder" and "Rico's the racist". Pathetic bro...

Not sure if your aware, but there is a fella from Alabama over at the treehouse who also has no issue with the noose, but gets his knickers in a knot over profanity He refers to it as "ghetto language", and you called it "gutter language". What are the odds?

2 peas in a pod, me thinks...
Used to be a foul-mouthed fellow over there from the west coast. Ain’t seen him post much of his filth of late.

If you want to be woke, have at it. Hide behind your spandex and wokeness and vulgarity. I am not racist. Not scared of a noose, prussic or running bowline.

No need to reply. I’m done with this foolishness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Sorry to be vague, it’s an obvious/direct negative racial reference to lynching, kind of don’t want to repeat it, further perpetuates it if I do.

It’s been the default term in the New England lobstering world for many decades.
-AJ
Whenever I asked my old editor/boss to approve samples of my written work, he'd give me a really lame thumbs up/down routine, with no instructive comments. Not even red pen marks! I'd go back to my desk, having learned nothing. That went on for a few days until I refused to leave his office unless he began to teach me the parameters of the job.

I find that I need the actual word (in this case, and in this forum, "derrick") if I am to absorb the information and work to adjust my thinking. And I was unaware of those connotations of the word (and could have remained so indefinitely). Thanks. - John

Jonny

Been here a while
I see no need to give them a leg up or an advantage over everyone else. Just equal treatment and no hate. Surely there’s more productive or fun ways to occupy one’s time.

It’d be nice to see the young LGBTQ stop committing suicide because they’ve been made ashamed of who they love or who they are or who they’re sexually attracted to. Many still kids. It happens often, these kids are killing themselves because they think they’re broken... it’s horrible. They’re kids. I don’t wish that kind of sorrow and regret on any parents.

Here’s something very cliche but very relevant; how about live and let live? It’s so easy, you can just do nothing. Don’t really have to accept them or be a champion for their rights, just ignore. No megaphones or sign waving or chants to memorize. You can just go fishing or sleep in or something. Someone point out the flaw in that logic, I’m all ears.

Hating on entire communities is so pointless. Where does it end? There’s never going to be a victory for any side, just meaningless back and forth chatter and violence.

moss

Been here a while
Whenever I asked my old editor/boss to approve samples of my written work, he'd give me a really lame thumbs up/down routine, with no instructive comments. Not even red pen marks! I'd go back to my desk, having learned nothing. That went on for a few days until I refused to leave his office unless he began to teach me the parameters of the job.

I find that I need the actual word (in this case, and in this forum, "derrick") if I am to absorb the information and work to adjust my thinking. And I was unaware of those connotations of the word (and could have remained so indefinitely). Thanks. - John

It has the “n”’word in it, I just don’t want to post the full phrase, too toxic, not justifiable.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator

So now that you're done you'll have time to take a slow tour through the Museum and Monument in Montgomery.

I'm looking forward to hearing your reflections on what you learned and what your experiences were like at both of the facilities. Before you go take along the comments and questions you're asking here and discuss them with some of the other visitors. The doscents that I talked to were very knowledgeable and professional too.

Here's some reading material to get you going. And no swearing in the whole article.

evo

Been here a while
If you want to be woke, have at it. Hide behind your spandex and wokeness and vulgarity. I am not racist. Not scared of a noose, prussic or running bowline.

See ya, and instead of slamming the on your way out do us all a favor and delete your account.

Last edited by a moderator:

evo

Been here a while
I see no need to give them a leg up or an advantage over everyone else. Just equal treatment and no hate. Surely there’s more productive or fun ways to occupy one’s time.

It’d be nice to see the young LGBTQ stop committing suicide because they’ve been made ashamed of who they love or who they are or who they’re sexually attracted to. Many still kids. It happens often, these kids are killing themselves because they think they’re broken... it’s horrible. They’re kids. I don’t wish that kind of sorrow and regret on any parents.

Here’s something very cliche but very relevant; how about live and let live? It’s so easy, you can just do nothing. Don’t really have to accept them or be a champion for their rights, just ignore. No megaphones or sign waving or chants to memorize. You can just go fishing or sleep in or something. Someone point out the flaw in that logic, I’m all ears.

Hating on entire communities is so pointless. Where does it end? There’s never going to be a victory for any side, just meaningless back and forth chatter and violence.
I’m all for some kind of leg up, and or reputations. Why not, isn’t not like they don’t have generations of being trampled on

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
I’m all for some kind of leg up, and or reputations. Why not, isn’t not like they don’t have generations of being trampled on
I think you meant ‘reparations’ not ‘reputations’.

I think it’s worth noting that race (generally) is not part of the OPs question and between the subject of sexism and homophobia in tree life there’s plenty to keep diving into.

Wondering if there are more personal examples of these issues that could be lessons for our day to day.. we aren’t going to get much headway in a discussion by zooming out too far.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: evo

evo

Been here a while
I think you meant ‘reparations’ not ‘reputations’.

I think it’s worth noting that race (generally) is not part of the OPs question and between the subject of sexism and homophobia in tree life there’s plenty to keep diving into.

Wondering if there are more personal examples of these issues that could be lessons for our day to day.. we aren’t going to get much headway in a discussion by zooming out too far.
Yes sorry

rico

Been here a while
So now that you're done you'll have time to take a slow tour through the Museum and Monument in Montgomery.

I'm looking forward to hearing your reflections on what you learned and what your experiences were like at both of the facilities. Before you go take along the comments and questions you're asking here and discuss them with some of the other visitors. The doscents that I talked to were very knowledgeable and professional too.

Here's some reading material to get you going. And no swearing in the whole article.

From Bryan Stevenson, the man behind eji. Highly recommended-

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Mercy-Story-Justice-Redemption/dp/081298496X

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom