Rope Wrench Methods?

RopeShield

I use both Lockjack and Spiderjack in Drt and Srt mode with the wrench.
Works well. I am enjoying the yo yo and the learning curve between the two.
With Drt I remove the wrench for progressing for now and install for descents, limb walks etc and only when installed with a ropeguide/pulley sytem. Otherwise its way to much friction.
I really need a shorter hard tether for progressing for the same reasons as with a prussiksystem-to push it along.
Not to change the subject but has anyone orderd a shorter whipple tether from Luke? Mb 8 to 10". Icing on the cake for sure!
To make a comparison between rope on rope and Sj on rope with wrench applied to both - Sj is considerabley better at friction management for the same reasons that the Ropewrench is a welcome addition to the system. Metal on rope is smoother and more predictable.
No fine tuning the number of wraps, matching of friction cord to access rope and climber and gear weight etc. I can't be bothered taking the time to figure out my system.
I just want to slap it on and get to work and get through the whole of the job with out fussing.
Sj/wrench system really simplefies things.

To help you understand the difference between the Sj and the lj with the wrench applied.
Sj is smoother than the Lj and it might compare with all things equal,
to the equivalent of say between a 8mm cord and 10mm cord

Hope this helps Treebing
smile.gif

You may or may not like what im posting in the single rope junkies forum on facebook. I am Vader... do not under estimate the power of the DaRk side.

Mparko93

Maybe on those trees you should climb DDrt. Ive been saying this for years,but I believe theres a time and place for both. Im training a young climber,hes got all the bells and whistles,Rope wrench,pulley saver,hitch climber setup,frog walker and everything in between. He doesnt know about this whole competitive bias that stands between srt and ddrt advocates.He just knows climbing and do what is easiest for a particular tree.I encourage him to have and open mind and to be creative. Im glad he hasnt been poisoned with this additude that you have to do one or the other or that one is better than the other. Its bogus,pick the right tool for the right job and dont worry about the BANDWAGON! Dont worry if some one sees you climbing DDrt while you preach srt all the time.Just beacause you climbed ddrt for a particular tree doesnt make srt not relevant for the next.It seems like fear to me this whole all or nothing additude or srt is not valid. Anyway I see him daily jumping back and forth from one system to the other,he has them both set up on 2 diffrent climbing lines ready to go and he carries and ascess line as well. Because I dont want him working off of a static line(its not approved for that). Its awesome to see,he seems to evaluate the tree and pick whats safest ,most efficient and productive and go with it .To me thats the future of tree climbing!!!!!
This is awesome to hear!
I to am an early / young climber who loves all the different gadgets available for different applications to make the job easier, reduce fatigue and overall be safer and have more fun while I'm doing it.
But I find it quite a challenge discussing new techniques or gear I'm interested in with my boss as he tends to run quite a basic / semi old school set up, which I love and see how for specific trees it's a must but sometimes on bigger climbs I unnecessarily see him exhausting himself where if he simply had a pulley or a slightly different set up would fatigue a lot later and therefor be safer longterm!

Really want to invest in a SRT set up for more recreational climbing into bigger gums etc we have over here in Australia but for the climbs I'm doing at work currently I feel way safer and comfortable on a Ddrt system similar to my boss just with a few additional pieces that makes tending slack, work positioning etc a whole lot easer!

My next piece I'm super excited for is something like the tree squeeze for quick descents from palms etc in emergency scenarios!

When setting a canopy tie in for something like a treesqueeze or relative AFS am I able to set the tension on that device from the ground before setting a SRT setup?

Mparko93

Is it possible to use an English prussic underneath the rope wrench on a SRT set up?

And is it necessary to use the hitch climber pulley for the ropewrench set up or am I able to use another pulley I have in my kit already?

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
That’s the power and the glory of this forum. It’s an amazing repository of knowledge that just sits there, waiting for someone new to come along and discover it, and to renew the discussion.

@Mparko93; I think some folks use a Pinto pulley with their Rope Wrench. I think I saw Reg Coates using a two hole pulley with his Wrench in one video he made.

Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I hope to read more from you. Tim.

Mparko93

That’s the power and the glory of this forum. It’s an amazing repository of knowledge that just sits there, waiting for someone new to come along and discover it, and to renew the discussion.

@Mparko93; I think some folks use a Pinto pulley with their Rope Wrench. I think I saw Reg Coates using a two hole pulley with his Wrench in one video he made.

Sure is!

Awesome, thanks for the info :)

Mowerr

Good to see good ol timbr still around!!!! Miss you bro!

alexanderowen

I have a bit of an advantage because my harness has fulltime Croll firmly secured at sternum.
Rope is easily attached and detached and makes the long and short ascents perfect.

The sternal Croll advantage is not having to capture the progress thus allowing focus on the climb.

I have been doing it this way for years and wondered why most arbos haven't incorporated it to their system.

Mb its because of the shoulder straps and extra stuff to deal with but like you say when you need it, it should be there.

Hope I've helped
smile.gif
Do you have the Astro Bod Fast harness? Are you using a fall arrest harness?

RopeShield

I have both skylotec arbignite/top and record

alexanderowen

How do you like using the Record for working? I’ve heard a lot of people say that they think fall arrest harnesses are impractical because they are uncomfortable.
I have both skylotec arbignite/top and record

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom