Rope Wrench Methods?

Okay, So I have been using mine a lot, love it, well thought out and makes working in some situations easier, but not all...

I wish there were a way to make it , in certain situations a bit more like DRT.

For instance, working a down-sloping limb , like on a big elm.
Coming back in on DRT, you can pull yourself, lean against the sweet-spot on the limb and come right back in.

Harder on the wrench.

Or while working and you have to move up only like 5-10 feet, DRT you thrust up hand over handing.

again, harder with the wrench...
frown.gif
having clip in the pantin and the lanyard to move the hitch and wrench when moving less than 10 feet is time consuming.

How are you guys dealing with this?

I was thinking of my left hand over the wrench, right hand between it and the hitch, but still, you need to be able to pull the rope under to make it tend yes?

is it possible to body-thrust at all with the wrench?

for 10 feet+, yeah, clipping the pantin and lanyard in is cool, but really, for shorter moves, body-thrusting is easier
cool.gif

I have used the 3:1 quite a bit when doing tall trees, go all the way up, put a redirect in, clip the tail thru, and descend back to a starting point and work my way back up.

By going right to the TIP, lanyarding in, then slacking the line, ( if it is a base-tie) then tying an a-buttefly and clipping in a revolver, you can have a 3:1 that you can leave and just pull out when you hit the ground and de-rig.

So? what methods are you all using to work the wrench and SRT as efficiently as possible in all situations? I'm curious and would love to hear your stuff!

cheers.

goodaking

Good questions carry! I was wondering the same. I find myself doing some straight up free climbing until I get to a point where I can tend the slack. I do miss the body thrusting for a few feet to position

On a different note while one of my 200ft lines was being climbed on I was trying to figure out how to use my 150 lave. First I Base tied the rope then when I got up in the tree I tied up as high as I could go. Cinched it with a running bowline and left some tail to tie on another line for retrieval. I had to keep in mind that the limb needed to stay isolated for me to retrieve the system in the end. It was a fun climb just some different thinking to get everything back in the end. It was like a little srt with some Ddrt in mind

yep, it is an awesome rig, but there must be a way to make it a bit more like DRT for short positioning jaunts.

and yeah Ian, that will work, but not with any redirects unless you use Kevin's rigging-plate set up with a ring to ring friction saver.

goodaking

Yeah I want to review that part of the thread about the rigging plate, I didn’t read the whole thing yet. But the top tie in point like you said I had to unclip my system and pull on the tail to retrieve my line. Just like in Ddrt to get back to the isolated limb.
Back to your original question, I to would like to be able to find a way to body thrust up on the wrench

Crazy_Jimmy

Maybe on those trees you should climb DDrt. Ive been saying this for years,but I believe theres a time and place for both. Im training a young climber,hes got all the bells and whistles,Rope wrench,pulley saver,hitch climber setup,frog walker and everything in between. He doesnt know about this whole competitive bias that stands between srt and ddrt advocates.He just knows climbing and do what is easiest for a particular tree.I encourage him to have and open mind and to be creative. Im glad he hasnt been poisoned with this additude that you have to do one or the other or that one is better than the other. Its bogus,pick the right tool for the right job and dont worry about the BANDWAGON! Dont worry if some one sees you climbing DDrt while you preach srt all the time.Just beacause you climbed ddrt for a particular tree doesnt make srt not relevant for the next.It seems like fear to me this whole all or nothing additude or srt is not valid. Anyway I see him daily jumping back and forth from one system to the other,he has them both set up on 2 diffrent climbing lines ready to go and he carries and ascess line as well. Because I dont want him working off of a static line(its not approved for that). Its awesome to see,he seems to evaluate the tree and pick whats safest ,most efficient and productive and go with it .To me thats the future of tree climbing!!!!!

Worthaug

I use a long (25' or 35') lanyard/ spider rig in a DdRT configuration as a second system for those short repositioning situations. It seems to fill those voids left by the SRT main line you guys are talking about. Also, I keep some cord spliced to a ring handy if I need to put the long lanyard in a SRT configuation without cinching the branch (i.e. CE lanyard).

goodaking

Crazzy Jimmy i agree with the right tool for the right job. It's nice to have a big mental tool box!
worthaug that's a good idea. One of my climbers was talking about doing that this afternoon. Always good to have some long lanyards around.

Crazy_Jimmy

Worthaug that sounds like at great idea but i dont wanna really carry a lanyard that long.But if it works for you go for it.

I do have a 25' blaze lanyard I never use...hmmm ;)

and Jimmy, i do still climb DRT where it works better, just fishing for new methods on SRT :) good info so far though.

RopeShield

I have a bit of an advantage because my harness has fulltime Croll firmly secured at sternum.
Rope is easily attached and detached and makes the long and short ascents perfect.

The sternal Croll advantage is not having to capture the progress thus allowing focus on the climb.

I have been doing it this way for years and wondered why most arbos haven't incorporated it to their system.

Mb its because of the shoulder straps and extra stuff to deal with but like you say when you need it, it should be there.

Hope I've helped
smile.gif

lonniels

RopeShield are you talking SRT or DRT or both? You have really got me thinking. I can see a couple of systems that would benefit from that. For example with a Rope wrench you could incorporate the croll and use a 3:1 with a pulley and ascender for tricky limbwalks, no slack=more efficient.

You could carry a Petzl shunt or similar with a biner and pop it on before a long limb walk and run your tail through it making a 3:1 then when you get back to it you take it off or move it up and continue the climb in a modified RADS fashion

RopeShield

Yeah both, ya got it.
wink.gif

Its exactly that, the reach around of rope access.
laugh.gif

I use it also on the spar to hold me steadier when cutting and punching off cookies.
Also to hold the rigging rope or loose tails to work around the crown.

It helps to push along the wrench and prussik but you have to either incorpoarate the foot ascender or pull the slack out from under the croll.

Its not the ideal addition for all applications.
Really its just another ascender to help free up the hands to focus on gettin to, where you're goin.

Forgot to add it also pulls up nice and tight to the sternum so when you rope walk or when Kevin does it Rope run it holds you more vertical and balanced for effecient ascents.

The key is to have as close to the body as possible.
I think some Waist belt harnesses may be rigged up with the accessory shoulder straps and a croll?

I hope this helps some of you.

Jeff_Cochran

why would you not put a small hitch on the standing part of the line as you are about to descend the sloping branch and the clip the tail into the hitch with a revolver and clip the other part of the tail to you saddle with a dog snap or another revolver; when ascending back up said drooper then unclip the rope from your saddle and use the three to one to haul your fat azz back up the limb, all while tending your slack at the same time? personally use this with Ddrt all the time it can also be set up by redirecting the tail through a union and dry crotching it. personally have begun to love srt for ascent but i'm still a Ddrt guy for work. Heck i still throw knot into the tree and dry crotch about half the time. remember we do this to make the company MoU'nE'Y. BOTTOM LINE: production, do what ever it takes to do the job the most efficient way possible, then go home, cash your check, and make love to mama.

lonniels

Thanks Rope, this is a great thread. I have been thinking about this very idea for a while. Love the wrench, but also really like to use my homemade pulleysaver also because I feel Srt has some shortcomings.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom