Root Collar Excavation/ Stem-girdling Root Pruning thread

Oscillating multi tool is my go to for girdling roots. As for narrower tips you can always cut/grind the cutter to meet your needs.
I haven’t had the best luck with those, certainly see the potential but I think I’m using the wrong blades. They get gummed up and quickly stop cutting any advice on the best blade?
 
Personally I like the carbide ones. The hardened steel ones you can take a cutoff disc and make gullets. But yes they do gum up but are easy to unclog.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evo
+1 broken tip handsaw. Oscillating tool can work Fein too;) I've re-pointed HSS blade teeth with a dremel cutoff disc. Thinner disc = finer teeth pitch to match small oscillation motion size, somewhat unlike jigsaw or such.

I Fein buzz cutted old pressure treat deck framing that was getting carried up and indenting an oak trunk. The moisture content makes the fiber chewy and can almost stop blade progress. A knot near stopped me dead. Heat, steam and binding. "deck girdled" :)

edit - apologies Flushcut if I presumed/misunderstood cutoff wheel to mean 4 1/2" on a grinder when possibly you meant dremel size and I'm just re-stating your post
 
Last edited:
Anyone have any before and after photos of girdling root removal on large mature trees?
Mature/Veteran Sugar Maple. Late November 2025

Canopy branch loss, Wetwood, Decay and Collar Rot at base.

Investigated SGR when soil temps around 45F, Excavate and explore by hand only, remove smaller than 2" diameter as to not affect root anchoring. Drench with Potassium Phosphite at compleation.

No further issues presented in the 2026 season, And it's been super wet this year.
 

Attachments

  • KIMG1044 (1).webp
    KIMG1044 (1).webp
    450.1 KB · Views: 8
  • KIMG1043.webp
    KIMG1043.webp
    472.3 KB · Views: 8
  • KIMG1042.webp
    KIMG1042.webp
    707.7 KB · Views: 6
  • KIMG1045.webp
    KIMG1045.webp
    664.3 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1046.webp
    KIMG1046.webp
    661.6 KB · Views: 6
  • KIMG1047.webp
    KIMG1047.webp
    658.2 KB · Views: 6
  • KIMG1048.webp
    KIMG1048.webp
    592.6 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1050.webp
    KIMG1050.webp
    539 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1051 (1).webp
    KIMG1051 (1).webp
    421.4 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1053.webp
    KIMG1053.webp
    669.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom