public parks

therianclimber

I always keep my ISA card on me. Flash that baby around a bit and throw in a few "Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum". People usually leave you alone after that comes out.

Babberney

This is an area where I employ the old "Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" law. Sounds like I might suffer for that in a few places, but generally if you ask you'll get a "No" and if you get caught you'll get a warning. YMMV if you like to climb trees across the street from the PD or City Hall.

I climbed a couple of Sequioas and never heard a peep from anyone about it. When I practice for TCC's I sometimes get questions from passersby but never cops.

Pstuffel, where did you have problems in Austin?

Pstuffel

Pstuffel, where did you have problems in Austin?

Chased out of Eastwoods twice but have climbed there since with no issues.
Also chased out of the Cypress at Zilker on the lake. But I have climbed that one with no problems also. I just did it at 6 in the morning. Onion Creek at SE Metropolitan Park has a bunch of nice trees. Its a little bit of a hike with some brush whacking but that makes it all the more fun.

moss

If you feel like going out for a rec climb, number one strategy is don't climb where a vehicle can roll up to or within sight the tree. Take care of that and there's very low chance of being bothered.

That's why when the leaves fall off the trees I lose a bunch of go-to urban climbing locations. Except at night, you can climb practically anywhere at night.

The question most often asked when I'm climbing in parks is "Are you cutting down that tree?"

The answer, "No I'm climbing just for the fun and exercise"

The response is either total confusion (why would you want to climb a tree for fun?) or "That's really cool!" or "Where can I learn how to do that?"

I've never had a person who saw me climbing in a park call the cops.

I've been rousted twice by cops because someone reported a homeless person camping in the park. Must be the backpack. It shows you what people find threatening, homeless people.
-moss

guymayor

[ QUOTE ]
I always keep my ISA card on me. Flash that baby around a bit and throw in a few "Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum". People usually leave you alone after that comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]Blind them with science; there ya go!

Expand your aura of authority, invite them into the tree love place.

evo

Wow, I'd have a truck load of blue slips to toss into a chipper!

"'They were just playing on the park and climbing the tree when the community police came and gave them a blue slip for anti-social behaviour."

jerseygirl

I like the tape measure and a pad and pencil.

Yes sir, I am taking reading to see if this is a State Champion tree.

OR - Looking for BUGs and invasive plants. Here in GA that works great.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
In Boise...yes, Boise=Tree...Idaho there is a law on the books that prohibits tree climbing unless you're going to retrieve an RC plane, kite or Frisbee. Seems like adding a ring to flip into the tree would make sense. Then climb to the top in order to get a good TIP :)

In Minneapolis two friends were politely asked to come out of the trees. If not, the ticket would have been for 'vegitation molestation'. Sounds more like a sex offense.

Keep a low profile and look professional...and follow Kieth's mantra...forgiveness not permission.