Moss Cinching Lanyard prototype

moss

A downside of using the escape eights in this application is the thin construction, with a small bend radius.
I could see the bight on the ring slipping and becoming a girth hitch. Ears on 8's were developed to eliminate this possibility. The mini 8 above looks like a good choice.
When the 8 is on an eye completely different configuration, there’s no potential to slip to a girth, the ears would get in the way of the desired functionality.

But... Ocean’s ring end idea led me to yet another solution, your eyes will pop with amazement! Ha, we’ll see, need to build it next couple of days. Hint, it will involve an X-ring. If it is successful it will be called My Everything Lanyard ;-)
-AJ

castanea

My buddy Josh was talking about a ring on his lanyard when these things came out. I kind of like the idea of being able to just slap it in until it holds.
The version of it without the webbing has a tiny hole that no normal biner fits, as I remember. I think only a shackle or quick link would fit. Its also double action and will let go after the second trigger unlike a biner. It has promise though, I like it. I just wonder if it would stand up to abuse, tolerate cinching well. The instructions do say to not hang it from a rope loop or side load it on an edge, the latter not being a surprise.

Also, this video made the rounds before but seems relevant. I wonder if a lighter weight biner, one with an H cross section vs round, would tolerate this as well.

Last edited:

Brocky

I also thought about a soft 8, but thought that it would probably only twist when loaded. Maybe a flexible 8, with something like zip strips inside it, would be firm enough.

Mowerr

Stopper knot on the tab side...just as normal. Essentially the soft 8 seems ideal for cinch anchors because it is flexible to cinch down on the stem or branch and nothing gets side loaded

Brocky

I tried using the cut figure 8 in a large eye with a carabiner also, but it didn’t work very well. So made something that can be added to a regular lanyard. It was after it was made that I realized the truncated eight piece wasn’t necessary. Time to get the hacksaw out.
E6CBB896-370D-47D0-91E4-27E67820187B.jpeg

CanadianStan

For me the question is can it be choked tight on the spar or limb/branch and loaded down, sideways or whatever direction you wanted to load it. Looks like it could be.
-AJ
If you wanted to be extra hardcore you could clover hitch it or munter it ... but that actually seems to hold pretty well. I’d say it would work on anything over 3” by the looks of it. Especially if you’re using a thinner (<11mm) rope

Brocky

Hey Stan, in your last picture, is the rope simply wrapped once inside the carabiner?

There’s still a chance something for the friction hitches will be done. Two summers ago I redrew what I had, now there’s about three dozen more to do. The names have to be put on, also. There’s two concepts related to hitches that also has to be tried on each one. Some hitches can be rotated 180 degrees to produce a different one. The other is some can have the function of each leg switched with the other, an example is the Distel and the Happy Hands. A lot to do and not sure a book would be the best way to go, as there is always going to be additions, at least I hope.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom