Lazy or Clever?

conk

Thanks Burrapeg

Can one ascend with the drill then remove the drill at the top and drop at the rescue speed as though you were being rescued? I don't want to use the drill to go down and I don't want the unmodified device stuck at the top either. Is there a way to release it?
I do not plan on making it midline detachable but I want to be able to move it back down to the bottom

PS I plan to use back up rope while experimenting but was curious if you can do this. I am sure you are by now you are completely comfortable with the operation and safety of this device.

Burrapeg

To use the drill on the device, you have to remove the flywheel off of it, and this affects the descent speed. I am not sure it will work as well. But if you did not put your whole weight on it, but also descended alongside it with your own rope and multiscender, you could hang on the device with part of your weight and bring it down with you.

treegongfu

I've been putting a back-up device above and bringing a climbing line with me to transfer onto for work. Then after transferring I run the drill in reverse and feed enough rope to lower it to where I want to pick it up again.

On certain trees I've been working with it. Makes for a fairly effortless removal.

I'm surprised there isn,'t more interest in this.

conk

I am trying to understand why you need a back up device any more than a rope wrench user needs one.

Both could fail. Unlike high-rise descending, tree climber never use back up lines and climb on their life line. If a rope wrench breaks or hitch fails you are going to get hurt is there something about this device that make you think it is likely to fail?

treegongfu

Not fail. Mine didn't have anyway to stop descent if drill let go. It is a slowing descent but still goes down.

conk

I went back through the threads but could not determine if you bolted something to the top of device in order to secure the u shaped bar the drill handle goes through. How do you secure the bar to the device so the drill does not turn?

Burrapeg

I went back through the threads but could not determine if you bolted something to the top of device in order to secure the u shaped bar the drill handle goes through. How do you secure the bar to the device so the drill does not turn?
There is a small piece of aluminium angle bolted there that carries both the U-shaped bar and also the ball bearing fairleads for the rope.

Jehinten

That looks a little difficult. Did you just drill into the metal and make threads. or did you weld it on?
Post in thread 'Reliable DIY power ascender' https://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/reliable-diy-power-ascender.37281/post-642901

Here is a link to how I built mine, with no drilling required. In addition the entire thread is also on these ascenders, so it may be some good info for you. As mentioned in that post, please excuse the rust, it had been stored in a non heated garage and the humidity was getting to it.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom