Lazy or Clever?

39Buick

I purchased a skylotec milan hub that was the same way. I had a machinist friend weld an extension to the end of the shaft and turn it down to true it up and it works great!
This is the type I have.

Bart_

I can't believe how the time's gone by on this thread. Any one starting to get old battery syndrome, i.e. it used to go a lot further before depleting?

39Buick

I can't believe how the time's gone by on this thread. Any one starting to get old battery syndrome, i.e. it used to go a lot further before depleting?
I personally have not noticed this with the dewalt batteries. I use the drill for work at times as well so both battery packs are in a rotation.

Bart_

Any new LiIon drill should work fine. Because of the gear reduction in the rope unit you could even end up in 2nd gear instead of 1st on a three speed drill.

Check the o.d. of your driven shaft stub, take a same diameter bolt etc and chuck it in the drill and see how far the three chuck grabber jaws retract, the figure out how far the shaft has to go into the chuck from that. And add your separation gap too. Makes sense?

39, my batteries are a bit down or I seem to think so. I was wire wheeling some stuff and killed two full charges. Maybe I was just too aggressive. Calendar age 2014 6 years about.

39Buick

39, my batteries are a bit down or I seem to think so. I was wire wheeling some stuff and killed two full charges. Maybe I was just too aggressive. Calendar age 2014 6 years about
Like most everything else age tends to take its toll on things. I have not really cycled my batteries through multiple rapid charge discharge cycles so I could not say if that would be detrimental to the cells. Mine have a 2018 date on them and have been used mainly with the ascenders. I have used it a time or two as a real tool but still have not pushed them very hard at all.

Burrapeg

Been using my DeWalt drill pretty steady for both the ascender and as a drill on the job, and the batteries have given no trouble at all so far in a couple years. Not sure what to say about extending the shaft. if a weld job, be damn sure it is a solid weld. You don't want it to snap off mid-climb. (But, of course, you want a hitch or a multiscender above it so the power ascender is not life support).

treegongfu

I managed to make mine workable and it is an amazing tool! The first day I dragged a mid sized Norway maple up a 60 foot steep incline and the next day rode it 60 feet up a white pine to set a block for pruning.

Thanks to all who have contributed!

Attachments

• IMG_20201107_090640.jpg
    IMG_20201107_090640.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom