How do you “ethically” ascend redwoods with weak anchor branches?

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
That is a poster worthy photo Mark, and having Mr Beranek take the photo only adds to its awesomeness!! Very rarely is hitting height the problem in Reds and like yourself I can consistently hit marks over 200 ft with the APTA. The problem is consistently being able to get your line over a limb/limbs strong enough to support a climber, and getting your line over a limb/limbs that are not growing in a downward direction. Plus as you mentioned you need to be able to actually see that your line is in fact over something trustworthy, and see that your line is relatively tight to the trunk (binocs & wraps on the trunk are essential). I would also add that doing all this is generally more difficult on 2nd-3rd growth Reds due to their limb strength and structure, and 2nd-3rd growth are generally the type of Reds a working Redwood climber will see in his/her day to day tree life.. What your left with is a recipe for serious safety issues, or massive productivity problems if one is striving to go completely spurless as a working treeman in Redwood country......Either your going to spend the better part of your days trying to get a trustworthy tie in set, or you can "simply trust them" (been there, done that), or your can throw some spurs on and go get some work done...This is why spurs still reign supreme in the life of most working Redwood climbers....

Happy New Year to you Mark!
That all makes perfect sense. And truth be told, one time we went into an old camp to climb one over 300' and Jerry set a line in what looked like a good spot only to simply fall out while pulling the rope in. Seems it was just lodged on bark! Even with binoculars we couldn't tell until we tested it. Like you say, all very time consuming and that pressure may make you take a bad option.

And yeah. Jerry is the best! One of the all time best tree guys I've ever met for so many reasons.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
im simply exploring other possible spurless ways to climb skinny conifers. Rico, pleas stop being so hatefully critical. I get that you're a seasoned climber, but that doesn't give you the right to be such a dick about it.

I actually thought you were joking too. There's no way anyone could do this in any sizable tree.

rico

Thanks for the kind words folks. I do appreciate it.. My intent on this thread was to simply give the OP a practical view from someone who has spent many years working in his unique environment. From the start it was very clear to me that his goal of working Redwoods 100% spurless was unattainable and he was setting himself up for serious injury or worse. I do apologize (especially to JohnTreeXP) for being such a blunt, pragmatic asshole, but it is genuinely how I roll. In case you all haven't noticed, I'm a grumpy prick!

Happy New Year to all..

Last edited:

rico

That all makes perfect sense. And truth be told, one time we went into an old camp to climb one over 300' and Jerry set a line in what looked like a good spot only to simply fall out while pulling the rope in. Seems it was just lodged on bark! Even with binoculars we couldn't tell until we tested it. Like you say, all very time consuming and that pressure may make you take a bad option.

And yeah. Jerry is the best! One of the all time best tree guys I've ever met for so many reasons.
You are a lucky man to be able to spend time with Mr. Beranek. The undisputed King in my book!

a4.JPG.edbeb3c3e9608071fcc162e18d5b53c3.jpg a6.jpg.a7a884c03c22ae0c24d5d767ee4ec909.jpg a7.jpg.5b2946f180d731c8fce24fb99b583654.jpg

moss

If I am hearing you right you are operating somewheres in the Russian River area near Guerneville? I know the area well and am in the area from time to time. Next time I am headed your direction I could give you shout and we could hang out, shoots some lines, do some rope walking, and talk comes shit!
Best possible outcome. When buzzers get together life gets better.

Even if it means raiding Rico’s Personal Area 51 to make the get together happen.
-AJ

rico

A lot of people don't know it, but if you look in the second pic Jerry put a spir on over a cast as he had a broken foot. Gritty.
Yep, the cast just added to the legend..Jerry is the real deal, and like a true logger, bucker, and mean mother****cker t he laced up his boots and got some wood on the ground, injury or not....

I have had that poster hanging on the wall for decades and it still brings a smile to my face..

Last edited:

Ptstreeguy

This stunted old growth is as small as a 2/3rd gen, face cut was put in and then the tree wasn’t logged. I would have to say if they all look like this I wouldn’t have asked how to do it : | but it would be nice if they all looked like this but bigger ‍Right? EBD0FDC7-516B-48B0-93D8-3DF3CB9A548D.jpeg its 588B599C-5A72-4A4B-BFD2-FE543B5B6ADD.jpeg 4E144986-D119-4CAD-8A26-53F9C741B2E9.jpeg

Last edited:

Ptstreeguy

When I was young we were really into taking Hap Johnson "coffee break" pictures after blowin' a big top. Heres one right after taken a 90-100 ft top from around 140-145 ft. Rope? Nets? Why am I still alive?

View attachment 64410
Bore-in on the cut? That’s how my mentor and awesome boss assures me is the only legit way to take really big tops. I love the coffee break pics lol I’ll get one eventually

rico

Bore-in on the cut? That’s how my mentor and awesome boss assures me is the only legit way to take really big tops. I love the coffee break pics lol I’ll get one eventually
Nope. Just a straight conventional up cut, a few wedges, and some serious attention to detail....Not a fan of the bore cut in trees, especially when dealing with a 36"-42" bar while aloft....

I would not recommend attempting a "coffee break moment". The risks just ain't worth the rewards.

DSMc

I had to rope down a small redwood top at about the 200' mark, over a cabin in the Guerneville area. Long time ago. It was a removal so the trunk was stripped bare, what a bean pole! Wind was being too unpredictable that day to chance letting it fly. Small compared to what you guys are talking about, but it still scared the shit out of me.

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom