heavy climber

Magnum783

Well I am prob quite close to your exact weight. I climb on xstatic and like it quite well. I use the akimbo often and find it superb I set it to creep just a bit to ensure no shock loading. The uni works great as well but for our size requires a drum for sure if not a lengthy decent equals in major wear. I also do a ton of crane work with the ZZ and have zero issues with that as well. For your tie in point friction savers I recommend using a rigging ring for that as it helps the wear on your device a ton. I hope this helps please reach out if you need any more advice.

Samsquanch

190lb without gear. Big girl, akimbo, wrench and zigzag/chicane all work well, wrench can bind up a little but nothing horrid. Been on extatic for a bit, love it.

Skye401

I'm about 205. Using an akimbo and it's good, but I'm still getting used to it. Just started getting more aggressive the other day. Mostly wide open on the settings. Xstatic, cougar blue (not rated for akimbo), mrt on tachyon.
I was trying my akimbo out MRS on tachyon and found it to be really jumpy. I have been like the Xstatic a lot though

Merle Nelson

Hi Skye401 I checked your other posts by clicking on your "name" and see you got the Akimbo on Black Friday. Possibly the jumpy you are experiencing is from the metal not being polished enough from use yet. Another possibility is that the Tachyon is too new and has production lube in it.

I use Tachyon most of the time, weigh 215 before I add thirty five to fifty pounds of gear. The only time I had any trouble was new rope and a washing solved that. I climb with work production in mind. And though I don't bomb out of trees I do run my rope like I'm going somewhere and if it doesn't stop exactly like and where I wanted it to I just push up on the beak(?) to get it to stop quicker.

Merle Nelson

I'm 240lb before gear, I climb SRS on a rope wrench, samson voyager 11.8 with armor-plus 8mm, and I think it works well most of the time. But would like to get into mechanicals. any info a heavier climber could give would be greatly appreciated.
Another rope I enjoy in the Akimbo is Safety Blue - pre production Akimbo, I haven't run it in my R E production version. Also enjoy the Adjustable Bulldog Bone on Tachyon.

The Akimbo does not play well with sap. I use friction savers even on take downs where needed to isolate my rope from sap as much as possible.

Skye401

Hi Skye401 I checked your other posts by clicking on your "name" and see you got the Akimbo on Black Friday. Possibly the jumpy you are experiencing is from the metal not being polished enough from use yet. Another possibility is that the Tachyon is too new and has production lube in it.

I use Tachyon most of the time, weigh 215 before I add thirty five to fifty pounds of gear. The only time I had any trouble was new rope and a washing solved that. I climb with work production in mind. And though I don't bomb out of trees I do run my rope like I'm going somewhere and if it doesn't stop exactly like and where I wanted it to I just push up on the beak(?) to get it to stop quicker.
Yeah, it was a brand new 40' hank of it I got from a guy that buys rope scrap from NE ropes.

I also tried a length of Fly in it and that was total butter. I think a 200' length of fly will be my next rope purchase.

EDIT: What do you do to wash ropes? All I know if that you should get a mesh bag, but then what? Detergent or no? Warm or Cold? Front loading machine I would guess

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom