Food Thread

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
This post is “just for fun” . . . . . .

Last night, I opened my last bottle of an old (for me), very cheap, sparkling white wine.
I bought it around 1970 to impress the girls while I was in college.
I thought that it was “pretty good” champagne. . . . . which it wasn't.

It is the same “Lancers” brand as the cheap Lancer’s Rosé wine in the red ceramic bottle.
I don’t think it is available any more.

After trying it the first time, I bought a case, and always kept a bottle in the fridge.

End of an era . . . . ;-)

210623 Lancers Wine -IMG_0659 (002).JPG

Last edited:

Reach

Been here a while
Poor presentation because it was late and I was hungry, but I made a first attempt at lamb the other night.

I picked up a pre-seasoned lamb steak from Walmart, figuring it would be a good intro to eating lamb. (Only tried it once before, in a curry, and it just tasted like curry)

Per instructions on the package, I seared it in a skillet, and oven roasted it to medium-rare. It’s different from what I’m accustomed to, but it was rather good. Really tender too, like a filet.

Attachments

• 5850C034-4EF8-4801-AB33-BF24F6F23DB7.jpeg
    5850C034-4EF8-4801-AB33-BF24F6F23DB7.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 8

VenasNursery

Branched out member
Poor presentation because it was late and I was hungry, but I made a first attempt at lamb the other night.

I picked up a pre-seasoned lamb steak from Walmart, figuring it would be a good intro to eating lamb. (Only tried it once before, in a curry, and it just tasted like curry)

Per instructions on the package, I seared it in a skillet, and oven roasted it to medium-rare. It’s different from what I’m accustomed to, but it was rather good. Really tender too, like a filet.
Looks great nice color inside and out

We visit a few Greek restaurants in our area and the have excellent lamb chops

But like seafood you can get a bad one (to me tastes very strong wild game taste) IMO

Reach

Been here a while
Looks great nice color inside and out

We visit a few Greek restaurants in our area and the have excellent lamb chops

But like seafood you can get a bad one (to me tastes very strong wild game taste) IMO
The color looked great to me too, and it was good. The seasoning that was on it covered a lot of the natural flavor, but it is definitely a strongly flavored meat, because I could still taste it over the seasoning.

I’ll probably make it again, but I’m not sure it’s going to be a favorite. I’ll stick to my beef prime rib.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member

Crust looks excellent.
I prefer a little more pink.

Reach

Been here a while
Crust looks excellent.
I prefer a little more pink.
Thank you! I would probably prefer a little more pink as well, I just don’t know for sure yet. For a first attempt I think it worked pretty well, but I’m sure there is room for improvement. All I did on this one was follow the directions on the package to the letter, to see how it worked out. Next time I do when I probably will experiment a bit more.

Reach

Been here a while
Do you guys eat the fat on a steak or do you cut it away? Ever have steak with cartilage or other types of tissue etc.?

cooked this strip this morning, smothered in Italian dressing first before cooking View attachment 76585
I cook the steak with the fat on, and bone in, if there is one, but then usually trim it off before eating. I’ve never marinated a steak in Italian dressing, or anything else; I prefer just a bit of seasoned salt or occasionally Worcestershire sauce applied before cooking, and nothing on it before I eat it.

climbingmonkey24

Branched out member
I cook the steak with the fat on, and bone in, if there is one, but then usually trim it off before eating. I’ve never marinated a steak in Italian dressing, or anything else; I prefer just a bit of seasoned salt or occasionally Worcestershire sauce applied before cooking, and nothing on it before I eat it.

If you get a chance try the zesty Italian dressing out, it tastes great!

85DD1A61-87EF-4C9B-AAC5-34DE95288432.jpeg

Jonny

Been here a while
Depends on the texture if I eat the fat or not. There’s tough gristly spots sometimes in strips and porterhouses, and some of those bits aren’t really edible. There’s also little pockets of marbled fat on a lot of cuts from near the ribs, and that fat is arguably the best part of the meal.

I eat every ounce when I order prime rib, and it’s usually extremely fatty.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beef Coulotte – Smoke + Sous Vide
Rev: 210703 0945

Beef Coulotte Roast – Top Sirloin (similar to Tri-Tip Roast)
2.3 lb Coulotte

Smoke oven at 150°F +/- 5° for 4 hrs
(1996 analog / manual control electric smoker w/ newly added digital temperature controller)
used homemade Maple sawdust - dry

Final smoking internal meat temp = 120°F

Sous Vide at 128°F for 20 hrs with Salt, black pepper, MSG

Note: Health concerns about MSG have basically been debunked. It is a flavor enhancer. It is Umami !
Link: https://blogs.webmd.com/food-fitness/20190219/is-msg-really-so-bad

Served w/:
Steamed corn & purple potatoes
Butter
Beef Au Jus
210702 Coulotte Roaste Raw -IMG_0660 (002).JPG
210702 Elec Smoker for 150 deg F -IMG_0663 (002).JPG
210702 Coulotte Smoked -IMG_0661 (002).JPG
210702 Coulotte Pre- Sous Vide -IMG_0662 (002).JPG
210703 Coulotte w Corn + Purple PotatoesIMG_0665 (002).JPG

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom